jfrankli512

Received P4 letter, but no document list?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi all,

We finally received an e-mail from the US Consulate, instructing us to register an account on http://ustraveldocs.comand schedule an appointment. We completed the process successfully, and the website shows our correct interview appointment of 4/14. However, other people on this site mention a "Document List" in their P4 packet, which describes what additional documentation (if any) they need to bring to the interview. Our P4 packet didn't contain any such list.

Does anybody know what we need to do to get the document list? Does it get sent in a separate e-mail? Does it get mailed to the beneficiary?

Below, I'm including the letter we received in the e-mail. Is it actually the P4 letter? Or is it something else?

I think it must be the P4 letter since it told us to schedule the interview, and we could successfully schedule the appointment.

Any insight people can provide is greatly appreciated.

P4 e-mail:

IR, CR, IW, IB, K and SB1 visa applicants
Important: As of March 16, 2013, the U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou has implemented new visa application procedures. Under these new procedures, a number of services will be provided to visa applicants directly by our authorized partner, CGI Stanley. ALL applicants will need to register directly through CGI Stanley for visa interviews and passport delivery. Only those applicants who register through CGI Stanley will be able to receive their passport after their visa has been processed. Please follow the instructions below to schedule your visa interview appointment through CGI Stanley.
Dear Applicant, Petitioner, or Agent of record:
This office is ready to begin final processing of the immigrant visa applicant(s) named above in this case. Please follow these steps to schedule and prepare for your visa interview:
  1. Once you receive this notice, please visit http://ustraveldocs.com and register a document pick-up location by selecting the “Select Document Delivery Address” option in the Immigrant Visas section of the website. If you have already registered, you do not need to register again. Failure to register prior to your visa interview will result in delay of your visa application.
  2. Once registered, visit http://ustraveldocs.com and select “Schedule My Appointment” in the Immigrant Visas section of the website to schedule your visa interview appointment.
  3. Once you have scheduled your appointment, download the Immigrant Visa Instruction Packet (or K visa Instruction Packet for K visa applicants) and follow the instructions inside it to prepare the necessary documents for your visa interview. Instruction packets can be found by selecting “Prepare Documents” in the Immigrant Visas section of http://ustraveldocs.com.
  4. All applicants, regardless of age, must complete a medical exam and vaccination(s) with one of our designated panel physicians prior to the visa interview. (Please refer to the detailed instructions in the instruction packet.) Applicants must bring a copy of this letter with them to their medical exam.
  5. On the scheduled date and time, the applicant(s) should come to the Consulate with all required documents and a copy of this letter. Applicants who do not bring a copy of this letter may not be allowed into the consulate for their interview.
You must now register and schedule an appointment through CGI Stanley. Failure to apply for your immigrant visa within one year of being notified that you may apply may result in the permanent termination of your case pursuant to section 203(g) of the Immigration and Nationality act.
Please do not reply to this email. Any replies sent will not be received. If you have any questions, please use the following web site to contact us: http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/immigrant-visa-unit-question.html.When communicating with our office about your case, please provide your name and case number exactly as shown in this letter.
Sincerely,
Chief, Immigrant Visa Unit
The Chinese translation for this appointment letter is as follows:
IR, CR, IW, IB, K , SB1 类别的签证申请人
重要通知: 2013316日起, 美国驻广州总领事馆将实行移民签证申请的新程序。在这些新程序下,一系列的签证服务将由我们授权的合作伙伴CGI Stanley 提供给签证申请人。所有申请人必须直接通过CGI Stanley进行安排签证面谈时间以及登记文件送达地址, 只有通过CGI Stanley登记的申请人才能在签证批准之后收到他们的护照。请按照以下指引使用CGI Stanley提供的签证服务网站安排你的签证面谈时间。
亲爱的移民申请人,美国申请人,或指定代理人:
本馆即将开始对你的移民签证申请进行最终的处理。请上述列明的签证申请人按照以下步骤安排你的签证面谈时间并为面谈做准备:
  1. 收到此通知后,所有签证申请人必须立即登陆签证申请服务网站http://ustraveldocs.com的移民签证信息页面点击“选择文件送达地址”进行登记。如你已经在此网站登记,无须重复此步骤。未能在签证面谈前登记将会对你的申请造成延误。
  1. 登记完成后,所有签证申请人必须登陆同一网站选择“安排约见时间”进行签证面谈时间的预约。
  2. 一旦你安排面谈时间后, 你必须从此网站上下载“移民签证申请说明”包裹,(K类签证申请人应下载“K类签证申请说明”),并务必仔细阅读所有的相关信息,严格按照指引准备面谈所需的材料。签证申请说明包裹可从网站http://ustraveldocs.com移民签证信息页面的“准备资料”链接中下载。
  3. 请注意, 所有移民签证申请人,不论其年龄大小,均应在签证面谈前到指定的机构进行体检与接种疫苗(详见签证说明包裹内指引)。请上述的申请人带上此通知并在体检时向体检机构出示该通知。
  4. 申请人应在安排好的面谈约见时间,带上此通知和面谈所需材料来到领事馆。签证面谈时未能够出示此信的申请人将无法进入领事馆面谈。
请马上通过CGI Stanley登记并预约你的签证面谈。如果你在一年内未能按要求采取任何行动,根据美国移民与国籍法第203条(g)款要求,你的申请将被取消。
请勿直接回复此电邮,因为我们无法收到任何对此电邮的回复。如果你有任何关于移民申请的问题, 请使用本馆网站上的咨询表格与我们联系, 网址为:http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/immigrant-visa-unit-question.html 在进行咨询时请提供你正确的名字及档案号码。
此致,
美国驻广州总领事馆移民部
This email is UNCLASSIFIED

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from IR1/CR1 Process to China Regional Forum~

~Inquiry is country-specific~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Your timeline indicates you did Electronic Processing. The documents that need to be brought to the interview are those you scanned and emailed to the NVC.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Wait, where does my timeline show that? (because I need to change it...)

I did the snail-mail processing and paid a 2-month penalty waiting for our paperwork to clear customs.

We didn't get any checklists at NVC and submitted original documentation at the time (sent to NVC two weeks before they changed their process to allow photocopies), so I'm not expecting any actual new documentation to be required.

I was expecting it to come in a packet mailed to my wife's actual address, so I was a little surprised that I got an e-mail with instructions to setup an appointment electronically...

I'm not complaining though, since it let me signup and schedule an appointment without error.

My CEAC Status still shows "Administrative Processing" though, and I thought it should've changed to "Ready" when the P4 packet was sent out...

Here's a very brief timeline:

3/6 - CEAC Status changes to "Administrative Processing"

3/10 - Received "P4" email (copied above), CEAC Status date updated to 3/10 (still AP)

3/10 - Registered on USTravelDocs.com, setup Delivery Address, scheduled Interview Appointment

3/12 - CEAC Status date updated to 3/12 (still AP)

No changes since then.

I really want to believe that things are okay, and that worst case we get a follow-up e-mail before the actual interview date. I'm worried that maybe the e-mail was a mistake, and that they will actually send out a physical P4 letter with a different interview date. If that were the case though, wouldn't the online method give us an error when trying to schedule it ourselves?

Timeline

I misinterpreted your comment in your timeline, my bad. :bonk:

Since you sent everything to the NVC, then there is nothing more you need.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Ok. Back at ustraveldocs, you should download the appointment letter.

use that for the medical exam.

consider getting new police clearance white book if the one she has us over 6 months ild by interview day.

Guz iv has all of your docs, already but if you not submit certified copy of prior divorce decree [yours] then she will need it.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I've got the same letter from them, so I guess it's P4.

Here they tell you that now you can make an appointment and give you the link where you can download your checklist

K-1 Visa Timeline!
Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guanzhou, China

I-129F Sent : 2015-01-14 I-129F NOA1 : 2015-01-16                     California SC received: 2015-01-21
I-129F NOA1 hardcopy: 2015-01-27 I-129F NOA2 : 2015-02-06   I-129F NOA2 hardcopy: 2015-02-18
NVC received: 2015-02-18 Consulate Received : 2015-02-27
Fiance received the hard mail from NVC with a new assinged number: 2015-3-3
received instructions (pkt 3): 2015-3-5 (hard mail)          
paid visa fee: 2015-3-12
received appointment letter (pkt 4): 2015-3-12 (email)    
Medical: 2015-04-03 Picked medical up: 2015-04-10
Interview Date : 2015-4-14 Interview Result :Approved   Visa Received :
2015-4-24
US Entry : 2015-5-19
Marriage : 2015-6-27

AOS:

Spoiler

filed for AOS: 2015-7-16 delivered to Chicago Lockbox: 2015-7-20

Electronic NOA1: 2015-7-23 Hard copies NOA1: 2015-7-28

Biometrics appointment letter: 2015-8-1 Biometrics appointment: 2015-8-12

RFE :( 2015-8-19 RFE hard copy: 2015-8-22

Finally sent RFE back:: 2015-10-02 RFE was delivered: 2015-10-05

USCIS updated status on "request for evidence was received": 2015-10-07

Combo card is being produced: 2015-10-26 (exactly three weeks after submitting RFE)

Case status update; card was mailed: 2015-10-28 Received EAD approval letter: 2015-10-29

Combo card received: 2015-11-2 Interview scheduled: 2015-12-21 (APPROVED :dancing: )

Green card received: 2015-12-21

N-400.319(b)

Spoiler

October 17, 2016 - case filed 

October 25, 2016 - NOA1

December 19, 2016 - Biometrics at GUZ field Office 

December 2, 2017 - Inquiry about the case being outside the processing time norms

January 2, 2018 - notification regarding the inquiry being outside processing time norms, the case has not assigned yet 

February 23, 2018 - scheduled for the Interview 

March 21, 2018 -  a response was sent to my inquiry about why your case is taking longer than our processing time

April 4, 2018 - Interview 

April 12, 2019 - in line for the Oath Ceremony

ROC

Spoiler

October 28, 2017 - filed I-751 case

November 6, 2017 - NOA1

November 20, 2017 - biometric at GUZ field office 

March 4, 2018 - status change: Your case was received by your local office 

Timeline

Ok. Back at ustraveldocs, you should download the appointment letter.

use that for the medical exam.

consider getting new police clearance white book if the one she has us over 6 months ild by interview day.

Guz iv has all of your docs, already but if you not submit certified copy of prior divorce decree [yours] then she will need it.

We've already gotten a new police clearance since her previous one was from January 2014.

Good idea on the certified copy of the divorce decree... it's better to be over prepared than not have the things they ask for.

It's funny, when we were getting married in China, nobody asked to see the divorce decree even though I stated that I was previously married.

Not when I went to the US Consulate to swear an affidavit of marriageability, and not at the marriage license place...

Timeline

For k-1? Check prior topics. Op is paper-filed cr-1.

different process, scant casefile history on this exact type, difficult to reveal patterns.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

So GUZ sends Packet 4 or a notification of Packet 4 availability via email only? Packet 3 was a physical piece of mail sent by express mail.

There's so many different processes that go through Guangzhou that I don't think there's any single statement that covers all cases.

1. DCF (Direct Consulate Filing, for when both parties live in China) has P1, P2, and P3, plus P4.

2. File with USCIS, then to NVC, then to Guangzhou:

a. Depends on wither you did regular processing (case starts with GUZ)

b. Or whether you did electronic processing (case starts with GZO)

For NVC route, we only get P4 packets from Embassy.

And that's for the IR1/CR1 route (marriage-based).

I'm sure the K1 (fiance) route has its own caveats.

Timeline

Yup. For k-1, as soon as you get guz # from nvc telephone call, go to citic bank, pay visa fee, and set up account at ustraveldocs.com/cn, fill out ds-160 and self-schedule.

imo, waiting on guz iv notices is useless, instead check status at ceac, pull the trigger when you see the first 'ready' status there.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hi Darnell,

Your posts are the best!

I am a paper filer (doh!), and received our case complete on 4/21/15. I am finding some hope in recent paper filers "left NVC to P-3" times. It seems that 6 weeks is pretty common this spring. My question is: Once we see the CEAC status turn to Admin Processing (currently READY), What should we do immediately to move this through as quickly as possible at that point? All of our original documents are in China and well organized. Does it help to e-mail the consulate weekly to ask for speedy processing and to get the touched date upped? I will be returning to China this summer and hope to wrap this up and bring Cheng home with me.

Thank you,

DL Aaronson

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.