ark9187

Get I-551 stamp from an out of state field office

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi Everyone,

My mother arrived in the U.S. some time back on an immigrant visa. Now I need to get an I-551 stamp for my mother whose green card status is "optimized" on ELIS but we are not sure when it will arrive. She needs to go back to my home country urgently to help prepare my little brother with his 10th grade exams (She will be coming back in June). I live in Maryland and the USCIS Baltimore field office can not offer an INFOPASS appointment before Mar 31. A field support office in Denver is offering an INFOPASS appointment for Mar 19. Can I go to the Delaware office to get the I-551 stamp even though I live in Maryland?

Thanks.

Thanks for the response! I was unsure if the Delaware USCIS field office will entertain our request for I-551 stamp since Maryland does not fall under their jurisdiction.

She did not get an I-551 stamp on her passport when she arrived in the U.S. in mid-February this year. So this is the first time that she'll be getting this stamp.

I had already paid her green card fee by the time she arrived, and we still haven't received her green card (status "optimized" on ELIS) or welcome letter. Now she needs to go back, hence the need for the stamp.

How did she enter the USA? She should have entered via a POE and gave her paperwork over to a CBP officer and they should have stamped her passport beside the visa. it's really odd. Not completely unheard of, but really uncommon.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 1 year later...

My wife is in a similar circumstance as you are. She is tryig to get an INFOPASS appointment in Tampa, FL. office, but to no avail. We got one instantly for the Orlando. FL. office. We are also wondering if we are going to be able to get her passport stamped with an I-551 stamp from another city. I would think that it should not be an issue being that we are in the same state. But who knows? I will find out on the 7th of July? How did your experience go?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.