noz

Name change

7 posts in this topic

Me and my USC fiancee have gathered almost all the documents and will be sending the I-129F package soon.

There is something I'm not sure of though.

She has previously been married and has divorced several years ago. We have the divorce decree.

The instructions on the step by step K1 guide on VJ state: "Proof of Legal Name Change if either the US Citizen and/or foreign fiance(e) is using a name other than that shown on the relevant documents. You must give USCIS copies of the legal documents that made the change, such as a marriage certificate, adoption decree or court order."

She did change her name when she got married, and changed it back to her maiden name when she divorced in 2008.

The name on her passport is now her maiden name. Which is of course the same as the name on her birth certificate.

So the only document which mentions her other name is the divorce decree.

Are we required to send a proof of name change along with our I-129F?

If we have to send it, I assume we'll also have to send her marriage certificate and name change paper (not sure how it's called) to show that she changed from maiden name to the name of her ex-husband. And then on top of that another paper to show that she changed back to her maiden name?

I don't want to get an RFE for that! But we could send the package very soon if we didn't have to get all these documents.

If someone has ever been in that situation, I'd be happy to hear how you dealt with it.

Thank you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I had name changed too..

What I did on my package was I didn't indicate a name change on the I129F package since all relevant documents (Passport, certificate of naturalization) that goes with it is the name I am currently using. Whereas I indicated the other names used on the G325A since it's a biographic information. and with the G325a, that's where you attaché supplements such as the divorce decree.

I hope this helps..

Goodluck on your journey.

Thank you jarj.

The I-129F does ask for "Other names used" (9.a to 9.c). This is where she put the name from her previous marriage. However, it is true that all relevant documents use her maiden name, with the exception of the divorce decree.

The G325A also asks for "All other names used".

Do I understand correctly that you did not include any documents regarding name change, except the divorce decree?

I see that you just sent your I-129F so I suppose it's too early to know whether you will receive an RFE or not.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you jarj.

The I-129F does ask for "Other names used" (9.a to 9.c). This is where she put the name from her previous marriage. However, it is true that all relevant documents use her maiden name, with the exception of the divorce decree.

Do I understand correctly that you did not include any documents regarding name change, except the divorce decree?

I see that you just sent your I-129F so I suppose it's too early to know whether you will receive an RFE or not.

my case for name change was I was using my mom's name until my dad petitioned me and needed to use his name.(out of wedlock child)

yes still early indeed but hoping for a smooth process.

I see. So in your case the beneficiary (you) is the one who had a name change. I believe your case is slightly different, since you didn't change your name to change it back to your original name a few years later.

Thanks for the input. I hope everything will go smoothly for you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I had name changed too..

What I did on my package was I didn't indicate a name change on the I129F package since all relevant documents (Passport, certificate of naturalization) that goes with it is the name I am currently using. Whereas I indicated the other names used on the G325A since it's a biographic information. and with the G325a, that's where you attaché supplements such as the divorce decree.

I hope this helps..

Goodluck on your journey.

The divorce decree is a requirement of the I-129F, not the G-325A. The G-325A is a supplement type form and is only used when required by another form.

Thank you jarj.

I would supply a copy of the marriage certificate as well. That will show how and when she changed her name to the one listed on the divorce decree. If it lists both names on the decree and states she will begin using her maiden name again once divorced, then the divorce decree might be enough, but I personally would include both just to make sure.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Thank you KayDeeCee.

Yes I think we will include her marriage certificate, her divorce decree and the name change certificate. Better to provide too much information than not enough and risk an RFE.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.