LibCampFireClub

Michael Douglas: My son experienced anti-Semitism in Europe

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Our kids need fewer trophies and less CNN.

Michael Douglas: My son experienced anti-Semitism in Europe
23tgra8.png
The recent rise of anti-Semitism in Europe hits close to home for Michael Douglas, and the actor revealed in a passionate Op-Ed for the Los Angeles Times that his son personally experienced anti-Semitism while the family traveled abroad last summer.
In the Op-Ed, Douglas calls on religious leaders, political leaders and everyday citizens to combat the rise of anti-Semitism and to make his point he shares an anecdote about how his 14-year-old son was treated.
“Last summer our family went to Southern Europe on holiday,” Douglas writes. “During our stay at a hotel, our son Dylan went to the swimming pool. A short time later he came running back to the room, upset. A man at the pool had started hurling insults at him.
“My first instinct was to ask, ‘Were you misbehaving?’
“’No,’ Dylan told me through his tears.”
Douglas explains that Dylan was wearing a Star of David in the pool and the actor confronted the man who yelled at his son. “It was not a pleasant discussion,” he writes.
“Afterward, I sat down with my son and said: ‘Dylan, you just had your first taste of anti-Semitism.’”
Douglas’ father was Jewish. His mother was not. The actor explains his son developed a strong connection to Judaism around the time of his Bar Mitzvah, and the family has since reconnected with the religion.
“While some Jews believe that not having a Jewish mother makes me not Jewish, I have learned the hard way that those who hate do not make such fine distinctions,” Douglas writes.
The “Wall Street” star added that his son’s experience reminded him of a time when while growing up a friend told him, “Michael, all Jews cheat in business.”
“With little knowledge of what it meant to be a Jew, I found myself passionately defending the Jewish people,” Douglas recalls. “Now, half a century later, I have to defend my son. Anti-Semitism, I've seen, is like a disease that goes dormant, flaring up with the next political trigger.”
The actor blamed the rise of anti-Semitism on the current political and economic struggles in Europe, and, among other things on “an irrational and misplaced hatred of Israel.” He called on leaders and citizens to help fight anti-Semitic sentiments.
“…If we confront anti-Semitism whenever we see it, if we combat it individually and as a society, and use whatever platform we have to denounce it, we can stop the spread of this madness.”

speaking of less trophies - i just read the entire op ed and i don't really get what the big deal is. i don't really know how many times my kid's been yelled at by some random stranger at the pool. it's kind of normal. why doesn't michael douglas tell us what the man at the pool said, exactly. how does he know that the guy was treating his son differently because of his necklace?

Yeah, I know. All these people getting upset over being called names. Everyone needs a thicker skin doncha think? Is there an approved and certified barometer out there somewhere that provides a scale of words and phrases, and behaviors that are considered more and less acceptable? Perhaps if folks would not wear religious symbols in public, and also consider masking their ethnicity. That would be helpful also.

Yeah, I know. All these people getting upset over being called names.

oh, so his son was called names? i didn't see that in the piece. that's why i commented it would be nice to know how michael douglas reached the conclusion that his son had experienced anti-semitism.

Like Don Lemon, I'm sure you have a specialized insight into human perception. But hey, why would the content of the story posted here have any meaning when you can disregard it and make up your own.

“Last summer our family went to Southern Europe on holiday,” Douglas writes. “During our stay at a hotel, our son Dylan went to the swimming pool. A short time later he came running back to the room, upset. A man at the pool had started hurling insults at him.
“My first instinct was to ask, ‘Were you misbehaving?’
“’No,’ Dylan told me through his tears.”
Edited by xxClosedxx

Like Don Lemon, I'm sure you have a specialized insight into human perception. But hey, why would the content of the story posted here have any meaning when you can disregard it and make up your own.

the content of 'the story' is lacking. i didn't make anything up to fill that space. that's actually what you did.

I clearly get that you see no problem whatsoever for the treatment of Michael Douglas' son. Like Trinidad James there are a lot of folks who have their own idea of what's okay to say, and what's not, and who can say it, and who cannot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6NRTSc_8bk

Edited by xxClosedxx

I clearly get that you see no problem whatsoever for the treatment of Michael Douglas' son.

again, i only said i wanted to know specifically what was said. that's it.

now go make a don lemon/trinidad james thread already.

I see, you want details. There are plenty of videos online that you can find where folks video assaults and post them like a badge of honor. However, there is a class of people who have the common sense to try not to inflame a situation. I'm not one of those people. I don't like the reverse racism that is happening in the world today, and America seems to be germinating and growing it as if it was okay. It's not okay.

I see, you want details.

i want details on what the man said to michael d's kid. do you have those details? doesn't seem like it.

Their just Jews val. There remain millions of people in the world today who actually deny and deflect the holocaust of WWII. It's also well documented in recent years that there is exponential growth in antisemitism in the world today, the reaches deep into the UN and inside our college campuses. If you would like to send the Douglas family a nice card to let them know you share in their grief, you can go to this website:

http://www.michaeldouglas.webs.com/

I'm sure they would grateful to see your support in calling out antisemitism where it exists.

Edited by xxClosedxx

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Jews and blacks are prone to the same type of assault... Neither should be acceptable in America.

There remain people in America today who actually deny and deflect the horrors or slavery and Jim Crow laws. It's also well documented in recent years that there is exponential growth in racism in the Anerica today, the reaches deep into police departments and inside our college campuses. If you would like to know more about this latter and send OU black students your support check out this link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/16/sae-racist-song-poll_n_6880886.html

I'm sure they would be grateful to see your support in calling out racism where it exists.

Their just Jews val. There remain millions of people in the world today who actually deny and deflect the holocaust of WWII. It's also well documented in recent years that there is exponential growth in antisemitism in the world today, the reaches deep into the UN and inside our college campuses. If you would like to send the Douglas family a nice card to let them know you share in their grief, you can go to this website:

http://www.michaeldouglas.webs.com/

I'm sure they would grateful to see your support in calling out antisemitism where it exists.

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

i'm all about calling out antisemitism where it exists. that's why i wanted more info. the most important details are missing. i'm gonna need those details to invest in a card for the grieving douglas family.