Aligator545

Trouble with I-134 Co-sponsor | K-1 Fiance(e) Visa

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I'm the Beneficiary of my K-1 visa package and I'm going to have an interview at the Sydney consulate in Australia.

I've run into some trouble with the I-134 form compilation.

My Fiancée's doesn't have an income and intends to use her mother as a co-sponsor who is paid a monthly sum of equity money from a divorce settlement.

Her mother's annual income doesn't cover the Poverty Threshold for a 3 person household ($25,112) because she still has her address listed at the same residency of my Fiancée. However, her mother doesn't physically live at the same address and is currently living at her grandmother's house.

- Could this be technically counted as a 2 person household ($19,912), or would she require to change address?

- Would I be possible to combine household assets, like my Fiancée's current savings and past tax returns, family SUV, household items of value?

- Another idea I had looked at was finding another family member or friend to co-sponsor our visa. Would this be a good second alternative?

- If anyone else has had a similar issue, how has the consulate looked at this kind of situation?

Thank you for taking your time to read and I look forward to your constructive replies.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Use somebody else, much simpler.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Hi everyone,

I'm the Beneficiary of my K-1 visa package and I'm going to have an interview at the Sydney consulate in Australia.

I've run into some trouble with the I-134 form compilation.

My Fiancée's doesn't have an income and intends to use her mother as a co-sponsor who is paid a monthly sum of equity money from a divorce settlement.

Her mother's annual income doesn't cover the Poverty Threshold for a 3 person household ($25,112) because she still has her address listed at the same residency of my Fiancée. However, her mother doesn't physically live at the same address and is currently living at her grandmother's house.

- Could this be technically counted as a 2 person household ($19,912), or would she require to change address?

- Would I be possible to combine household assets, like my Fiancée's current savings and past tax returns, family SUV, household items of value?

- Another idea I had looked at was finding another family member or friend to co-sponsor our visa. Would this be a good second alternative?

- If anyone else has had a similar issue, how has the consulate looked at this kind of situation?

Thank you for taking your time to read and I look forward to your constructive replies.

Household size is not determined by the number of people in the house. It is determined by the number of people the sponsor is obligated to support. The physical address is irrelevant.

Who does your fiancée's mother support? She lives with your fiancée's grandmother, but does she also support her grandmother? By support, I mean is the grandmother listed on the mother's taxes? If not, then sounds like your fiancée's mother only has a household size of 2: fiancée's mother and you.

You cannot combine another person's assets on the I-134. If your fiancée's mother is the one with the assets, then she can list them. But she cannot, for example, list the assets of your fiancée's grandmother.

Yes, you can look for a different co-sponsor if it is easier for you. If anything, it would be a good backup.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Timeline

Household size is not determined by the number of people in the house. It is determined by the number of people the sponsor is obligated to support. The physical address is irrelevant.

If that's the case the my conscience will rest a little easier. My Fiancée's mother doesn't claim anyone else on her statements, nor does my Fiancée herself. So as you said, the Co-sponsor would just be supporting me making the threshold only $19,912. Finding another Co-Sponsor is a last resort for us.

Just another quick question. How would I add this information to Question #3, and #11 on I-134 for Fiancée and Co-Sponsor?

Thank you very much for your reply. So far this has been greatly helpful!

If that's the case the my conscience will rest a little easier. My Fiancée's mother doesn't claim anyone else on her statements, nor does my Fiancée herself. So as you said, the Co-sponsor would just be supporting me making the threshold only $19,912. Finding another Co-Sponsor is a last resort for us.

Just another quick question. How would I add this information to Question #3, and #11 on I-134 for Fiancée and Co-Sponsor?

On both forms (sponsor and co-sponsor) question 3 will be the person being sponsored (in this case it is you), and question 11 does not apply. Leave the boxes on question 11 unchecked and write in the space below: N/A K-1 VISA PROCESS.

Edited by Zedayn

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

I am not so sure about that.

Timeline

On both forms (sponsor and co-sponsor) question 3 will be the person being sponsored (in this case it is you), and question 11 does not apply. Leave the boxes on question 11 unchecked and write in the space below: N/A K-1 VISA PROCESS.

Excellent! Thanks for clarifying.

How or would I put the annual income of the equity on the I-134 form, or should I just add it with the total assets and present the CO with her tax transcript?

Thanks again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.