rohan.jawani96

Converting B2 Visa status to F1 status along with two dependents

18 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My sister is currently on a B2 Visa status and she wants to convert her visa status to F1.

1) What are the chances of her conversion given that she never mentioned anything about converting her VISA status while entering the U.S ?

2) If the immigration authorities reject her application for conversion to F1, does her B2 status also gets cancelled?

3) The person who is sponsoring her is a U.S citizen but is in no relation with her and she came to the U.S with her family but her father isn't sponsoring rather someone else is, so will this affect her application?

Thanking you

Regards,

Rohan Jawani.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

F1 is non immigrant and with her Parents situation, might be an issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

What if my sister goes back to India and applies for an F1 visa given her father still in U.S.She has already got an I 20 from the college.Only one thing is that her sponsorer is a U.S citizen and not her father.Mind you her father still would be in U.S and has 2 months for his VISA to expire and she comes back before her father's visa expires.Would that affect her chances for F1 visa approval?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

What if my sister goes back to India and applies for an F1 visa given her father still in U.S.She has already got an I 20 from the college.Only one thing is that her sponsorer is a U.S citizen and not her father.Mind you her father still would be in U.S and has 2 months for his VISA to expire and she comes back before her father's visa expires.Would that affect her chances for F1 visa approval?

No one can give you the answer you want. There are many factors in getting a visa. A single factor is not indicative of the entire case.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Is there a reason she is not claiming asylum with her parents?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Her chances are as good as anyone else - many do come with B visas and change them to F1 while in the country. The only suggestion I'd make is that if she will go down that route, she should do a lot of research and choose a reputable institution where she will actually profit from her attendance. There are many schools that issue I-20s that stop a few steps short of being complete scams. In addition if she can prove to the school she has the financial wherewithal to pay for her tuition for the duration of the course she should not have any major issues getting her status changed from tourist to student...

Good luck!

My sister is currently on a B2 Visa status and she wants to convert her visa status to F1.

1) What are the chances of her conversion given that she never mentioned anything about converting her VISA status while entering the U.S ?

2) If the immigration authorities reject her application for conversion to F1, does her B2 status also gets cancelled?

3) The person who is sponsoring her is a U.S citizen but is in no relation with her and she came to the U.S with her family but her father isn't sponsoring rather someone else is, so will this affect her application?

Thanking you

Regards,

Rohan Jawani.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

My sister,mother and father are currently on B2 visa. My sister has got an I-20 from a college in New York.She wants her parents to stay with her till her education.She has got the I-20 with two dependents(mother and father).Now she would like to apply for her change of status from B2 to F1. What are her chances?? We can show sufficient funds and business and property in India.Should we go ahead? What are her chances??

Thanking you

Regards,

Rohan Jawani

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry, am I reading your post correctly? Your sister is claiming parents as dependents? And she wants her parents to stay the entire time of her education (assuming years)

Is this what you are asking?

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

IMHO it's a long shot but it won't hurt her to try. The risk is that she get her F visa denied, obviously, so she should consider what is more important to her, in this case.

My sister,mother and father are currently on B2 visa. My sister has got an I-20 from a college in New York.She wants her parents to stay with her till her education.She has got the I-20 with two dependents(mother and father).Now she would like to apply for her change of status from B2 to F1. What are her chances?? We can show sufficient funds and business and property in India.Should we go ahead? What are her chances??

Thanking you

Regards,

Rohan Jawani

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Thanking you

Regards,

Rohan Jawani

do you know how hard it is to get a B2 visa from India? Man, some people really don't care about others. A B2 is for tourism, short term business needs, not immigration. It seems like that was the plan all along.

Wow this entire family is something else - B2 plus asylum claim for parents and F1 COS for sister. Wonder what all was put in their tourist visa applications? Must've all been honky dory and they will return to India -- until the visas arrived...

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Timeline

Let's assume your sister can successfully convert from B2 to F1. Can your sister even claim your parents as dependent (F2) under F1? Most of what I read/researched, it says F2 dependents are defined as a spouse or an unmarried minor child (<21 years of age) of an F-1 student.

Spouse and children

• Your spouse and unmarried, minor children who intend to reside with you during your study may apply for F-2 or M-2 visas. Although SEVIS fee payment is not required, your school must issue them an individual Form I-20, which is required to apply for their visas. You must provide a copy of your F-1 or M-1 visa and provide proof of relationship.
  • Your minor children are permitted to attend school in the United States while accompanying you.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/study-exchange/student.html

Edited by Umka36

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.