John & Mara

Biographic Info, Self Employed mostly

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am filling out my Bio info and I am a filmmaker so I have worked as an independent contractor and as an employee for the last 10 years. Some productions go through payroll, in which case I become an "employee" of a payroll service and get a W2, and some pay me as an independent contractor and I receive a 1099 and pay taxes later.

How much of this information is necessary? I literally have had HUNDREDS of jobs from different entities over the last 5 years and collecting them all seems mind boggling, but I want to do it right.

The IRS laws themselves are gray when it comes to whether someone is a self employed freelancer or a employee when they are working on a film production.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Visajourney.

1. How many of the "hundreds" paid you with a W-2?

2. Have you been reporting your self employment income on schedule C of form 1040?

3. Do you own a company or corporation with tax ID that you use to accept some of this self-employment income or is it all under your SS#?

4. Is this year continuing to be the same as prior years with numerous employers and 1099's?

5. Have you filed your 2014 1040 yet?

6. Do you work on more than one "project" or "job" at the same time?

Since there are only 5 lines on the G325a, you might need to use a continuation sheet.

July 2013 Met online

Sept 2013 Met in person

Nov 2014 Engaged

Jan 23, 2015 Married

Jan 27, 2015 Filed I-130 DCF in Bangkok

Feb 18, 2015 I-130 Approved

March 2, 2015 Sent Packet 3 docs US Priority Express Mail

March 10, 2015 Packet 3 arrived US Embassy Bangkok

March 12, 2015 Received packet 4 email

March 25, 2015 Interview

March 25, 2015 Approved

March 26, 2015 Issued

March 27, 2015 Visa in hand

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

1. Most of the jobs are NOT W2

2. Yes, all income reported

3. I operate some of the income through an LLC that has a EIN but it is not treated as a separate entity and essentially get's rolled into my SS#

4. Yes

5. No

6. No

Some jobs are for one day, and one payroll company. Some other productions are spread months apart and some even use the same payroll company, lumping all of my "employee" income into one. This will get very complicated.

The main thing I am concerned with is how specific I might have to be with the dates. I don't want to leave anything blank so does that mean I will have to log (by the day) every time I am employeed, self-employeed, and/or unemployeed?

What's the safest way to go about this?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

1. Most of the jobs are NOT W2

2. Yes, all income reported

3. I operate some of the income through an LLC that has a EIN but it is not treated as a separate entity and essentially get's rolled into my SS#

4. Yes

5. No

6. No

Some jobs are for one day, and one payroll company. Some other productions are spread months apart and some even use the same payroll company, lumping all of my "employee" income into one. This will get very complicated.

The main thing I am concerned with is how specific I might have to be with the dates. I don't want to leave anything blank so does that mean I will have to log (by the day) every time I am employeed, self-employeed, and/or unemployeed?

What's the safest way to go about this?

You do not have to list each separate client/project/job. If you are self-employed, you simply put Self-employed for 'Name and address of employer'. No address needed when self-employed. Then list the occupation. You can put Filmmaker. If you have worked as a filmmaker for the last 5 years, then put the month and year from 5 years back up until the present time. Only one line needed.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.