bahamamama234

Temporary green card holder, is it guaranteed my entry back in USA if I travel internationally?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Yes that is all clear. And like i said in the post on the top if you did not stay outside of the US for longer than you are allowed to than your entrance is guaranteed and not a maybe. That is what the "determine if you can enter the United States" all about. Thousands of Permanent Residence live in the US their whole life without getting a citizenship and travel in and out all the time, i know this from experience from the community around me. So what i am saying that it is pointless to scare people without a reason on this site saying that they might not be allowed back in.

I hope that it is clear and succinct. That is the official USCIS word on the issue. You and I both know that likely very few Permanent Residents run afoul of USCIS and CBP guidelines upon reentry to the US. However, those agencies do have some discretion and latitude in these matters should the need arise. Period.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Well, me and my husband have never had any problem with the law, we live together, is our first marriage....

I just don't wanna risk not being able to come back home (USA) But I can't not see my family either....

So what you guys are saying is that the risk is pretty high? That's ridiculous, should be illegal for people at the border to don't let me return if I have never did anything wrong and I own a green card and the rights of a permanent resident....

Most of the replies here ended up confusing me.... Can I travel internationally with my husband for a month, or not?

No I won't go if the risk is pretty high,,, but If I have a green card, will be with my husband, never had any problems with the law.... Is it really possible that they will deny my re-entry back home?

I would love to someone with a lot of experience to reply to this and help me out...

Thanks everybody who is trying to help until now tho, I just really need to be sure before I buy tickets with my husband

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I don't really work, I am a house wife and my husband works for our family, but we have joint bank account, joint lease agreement, I could bring it all with me, I just really would freak out and so would my husband if we could not come back...My husband says he would probably kill himself if they don't let me come back

So we really need to be sure, and our travel will last only 1 month

Edited by Jabuticaba 1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Ok. This is what i was afraid of. People scaring you for no reason with things that don't exist in real life. Yes you can travel all you want to, especially for a month. You CANT be outside of the country for 6 months or so. So again you CAN travel all you want and you WILL be let into the country with no problem just questions about where you live in the US and so on. Experience, well me and my whole family have had green cards for 9 years and i am the only one with a US citizenship now. We have traveled many times to Europe, I was there last year for 30 days. I think most people i know that are not born US citizens do have green cards and travel all year long. My cousin has 2 addresses that he splits his time between, one here and one in Europe and yes he has a Green Card and he is Not a citizen. I am not sure how much more i could say about this. So do not get scared about this subject especially from people who don't know what they are saying. I hope this helped at all.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

VFittipaldi, please stop repeating "absolutes" about USCIS policy, CBP practices & procedures, et al. These have been clearly stated in previous replies within this thread, and they are truth, not "scaring for no reason." The CBP agents at port of entry have the power to determine which non-U.S. citizens are permitted re-entry. Your experience and that of your associates is one thing; the cited policy is another.

OP, the CBP thrives on the truth. If you're truthful to them about who you are and where you've been, you should be granted re-entry without much hassle. This is not 100%, but it's probable.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

VFittipaldi, please stop repeating "absolutes" about USCIS policy, CBP practices & procedures, et al. These have been clearly stated in previous replies within this thread, and they are truth, not "scaring for no reason." The CBP agents at port of entry have the power to determine which non-U.S. citizens are permitted re-entry. Your experience and that of your associates is one thing; the cited policy is another.

OP, the CBP thrives on the truth. If you're truthful to them about who you are and where you've been, you should be granted re-entry without much hassle. This is not 100%, but it's probable.

I am stating my opinion and experience like everyone on this site.

Thank you!

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

You shouldn't have any problems whatsoever. As a permanent resident you are allowed to enter the US on a valid greencard - conditional or otherwise. You can travel internationally to any country you wish, not only your home country.

In order to enter the US all you'll need is your GC and your valid passport. However, if you changed your name when you got married and the last name on your GC and passport are not the same, have a copy of your marriage certificate to present to the airline upon check in, just in case.

Good luck!

Hi! I need help! So my Green Card (Conditional/temporary) because my marriage was less than 2 years old, expires in 02/2017

It was granted in february of this month.

My question is, me and my husband(US citizen) want to go to Brazil for 1 month to visit my family and then come back in september of this year... Would I have any problems with immigration on my way back to the USA?

Because they gave me a hard time when I first arrived in USA, in Atlanta Georgia, they held me for 2 hours cause they said I was a pretty girl and they thought I was there for prostitution (No comments, since I was a law student in Brazil for 2 years and came from a good and well established family)

But anyway, I am afraid that if me and my husband go, they might give me problems because my green card is a conditional green card only worth for 2 years?

1- Am I authorized to visit my family in Brazil with my husband and come back, and when I come back, will it be easy for me to get in the USA again? nobody will ask me questions and give me a hard time? (yes they kinda traumatized me lol)

2- Do I need any other documents besides the Green Card to return to my home in the USA when I come back?

Thanks anyone for any help!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

I apologise if I scared anyone on this thread. I'm just very used to reading ALL the fine print in my current profession and making legal calls on what is wriiten in documents. The wording " can determine if you can enter the United States." is AMBIGUOUS to me and is not an absolute guarantee.

I am sure the original poster won't have any problems but there are no guarantees in that piece of legislation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Well, me and my husband have never had any problem with the law, we live together, is our first marriage....

I just don't wanna risk not being able to come back home (USA) But I can't not see my family either....

So what you guys are saying is that the risk is pretty high? That's ridiculous, should be illegal for people at the border to don't let me return if I have never did anything wrong and I own a green card and the rights of a permanent resident....

Most of the replies here ended up confusing me.... Can I travel internationally with my husband for a month, or not?

No I won't go if the risk is pretty high,,, but If I have a green card, will be with my husband, never had any problems with the law.... Is it really possible that they will deny my re-entry back home?

I would love to someone with a lot of experience to reply to this and help me out...

Thanks everybody who is trying to help until now tho, I just really need to be sure before I buy tickets with my husband

Yes, you can travel and re-enter the US using your green card. Lawful permanent residents of the US are allowed to travel and re-enter the US. Going for only a month is no problem at all.

No, the risk of not being allowed back in the US is not high. It is very low actually. Since you are an LPR with a valid green card, you will more than likely not have any issues traveling on your trip. Go and visit your family.

Edited by KayDeeCee

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.