Janelle2002

Univision's Rodner Figueroa fired for Michelle Obama comment

66 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

He's not Mexican he's Venezuelan.

I don't watch the show

I used to watch a morning news cast on Mexican Tv called Despierta America - Lots of talent on that show........

Filed: Other Timeline
His profile was quickly scrubbed from Univision’s official website. Also removed was an article on the site celebrating his 2014 Emmy win. In response, Figueroa wrote on open letter to the First Lady:

Dearest First Lady Michelle Obama,

I offer my sincerest apologies for the commentary I made about you, using a portrait of you rendered by a makeup artist for Univision’s entertainment show “El Gordo y la Flaca” yesterday (Wednesday), and which was misinterpreted.

I want to clarify that I am not a racist, and in no way was my commentary directed at you, but rather the rendition of such artist, which left much to be desired. The whole clip of the video proves this with proper context.

I feel ashamed; I ask you for forgiveness, because there is no excuse for a professional such as myself to make comments that could be interpreted as offensive and racist in a moment where our country is living through such volatile times. I take responsibility for the lack of judgment on my behalf, but I can’t accept to be classified as a racist by anyone or to be fired for being such – humiliated publicly by Univision after 17 years in this company.

I come from a bi-racial Latino family, with relatives, such as my father, of the Afro-Latino race. I’m the first openly gay news personality in Hispanic TV, and I’ve been an activist of causes that favor minorities, that like me, have been discriminated against. I voted openly for your husband, Barack Obama, twice, because I think he’s a great man who respects minorities such as myself in this country.

I worked in two shows for Univision where I would comment on the look of many celebrities, including royal families, first ladies of Latin America, and I’ve never offended anyone for the color of their skin, sexual orientation or nationality. I’m a decent person, but a human no less, and I commit errors such as this one. And no matter how distasteful and out of line my comment might have been interpreted, I don’t deserve to be called a racist, and I have to defend myself out of love and respect for my family, my father, my fans and the community.

I was verbally notified that because of a complaint coming from your office I was fired, and because of leaked information by Univision executives, I was condemned in social media, trying to destroy my career in an unjust manner, without even giving me an official written notification and without an investigation that could perhaps clear the situation.

Again, I offer my humble apology for this misunderstanding, and I assume responsibility.

Very respectfully,

Rodner Figueroa

Edited by xxClosedxx

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Why is her appearance of significance to be worthy of comment?

Do you make similar comments about the pink men in the Republican party?

Hey Einstien

Current Events and Hot Social Topics

"Discussion on the latest news, current events and hot social topics including politics and religion"

Savy Now?

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey Einstien

Current Events and Hot Social Topics

"Discussion on the latest news, current events and hot social topics including politics and religion"

Savy Now?

That's avoiding the question, not answering it. And it's not even a very smart or slick way of doing it.

His profile was quickly scrubbed from Univision’s official website. Also removed was an article on the site celebrating his 2014 Emmy win. In response, Figueroa wrote on open letter to the First Lady:
Dearest First Lady Michelle Obama,
I offer my sincerest apologies for the commentary I made about you, using a portrait of you rendered by a makeup artist for Univision’s entertainment show “El Gordo y la Flaca” yesterday (Wednesday), and which was misinterpreted.
I want to clarify that I am not a racist, and in no way was my commentary directed at you, but rather the rendition of such artist, which left much to be desired. The whole clip of the video proves this with proper context.
I feel ashamed; I ask you for forgiveness, because there is no excuse for a professional such as myself to make comments that could be interpreted as offensive and racist in a moment where our country is living through such volatile times. I take responsibility for the lack of judgment on my behalf, but I can’t accept to be classified as a racist by anyone or to be fired for being such – humiliated publicly by Univision after 17 years in this company.
I come from a bi-racial Latino family, with relatives, such as my father, of the Afro-Latino race. I’m the first openly gay news personality in Hispanic TV, and I’ve been an activist of causes that favor minorities, that like me, have been discriminated against. I voted openly for your husband, Barack Obama, twice, because I think he’s a great man who respects minorities such as myself in this country.
I worked in two shows for Univision where I would comment on the look of many celebrities, including royal families, first ladies of Latin America, and I’ve never offended anyone for the color of their skin, sexual orientation or nationality. I’m a decent person, but a human no less, and I commit errors such as this one. And no matter how distasteful and out of line my comment might have been interpreted, I don’t deserve to be called a racist, and I have to defend myself out of love and respect for my family, my father, my fans and the community.
I was verbally notified that because of a complaint coming from your office I was fired, and because of leaked information by Univision executives, I was condemned in social media, trying to destroy my career in an unjust manner, without even giving me an official written notification and without an investigation that could perhaps clear the situation.
Again, I offer my humble apology for this misunderstanding, and I assume responsibility.
Very respectfully,
Rodner Figueroa

He said the chick looks like a monkey. We ALL know what he meant. If that is his feeling, he shouldn't have to apologize for it. He just doesn't need to be in a position where he can spread his stupidity publicly.

You are going to start some trouble now. Welcome back Marv!

You know if you need me to put the smack down, all you have to do is ask. I'm more stressed now being retired than I was when I was working! But all this free time is getting on my nerves. I thought about getting a part time job just to pass time...

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

You know if you need me to put the smack down, all you have to do is ask. I'm more stressed now being retired than I was when I was working! But all this free time is getting on my nerves. I thought about getting a part time job just to pass time...

Putting the smack down on some of the VJers is a part time job. lol

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It's Einstein!

If you're going to question someone's intelligence, at least spell your insult correctly.

Ha ha - i saw that and thought about reporting it (that sort of thing is generally seen as a TOS violation, but strangely only when I do it) but I felt that it spoke for itself.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

After additional consideration, one post has been removed for being degrading to women as well as a few quoting. If my message above this is not adhered to by the posters in question, expect admin action.

Putting the smack down on some of the VJers is a part time job. lol

It used to be, but even the bigotry here is lame. The motley crew have pretty much all but left the building, and the ones left here lack the skill, intelligence, or even wit to keep the conversation going before running away or throwing out some red herring.

I actually miss Danno, Himher, and Gary.

It's Einstein!

If you're going to question someone's intelligence, at least spell your insult correctly.

:rofl:

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg