rjgacek

Wife went back to her home country

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Yes, a little help here please. I got married to my filippino wife going through the I-129F Fiancee visa process. Now she has been here almost one year, and we were waiting on preparing soon for the unconditional (10 Year) greencard.

Unfortunately, it has not been working out for the two of course, and she decided to go back to Japan, where she has been residing as a legal resident for the past 10 years before coming here.

So, it looks like all the work we went through to get to this position is down the toilet. Anyways hoping to get a questioned answered:

Do I have to report to the USCIS that my wife has left to go back to where she is more happy in Japan, or do I do nothing?? I am assuming by the time the unconditional process is due, they have to know something, because I am also assuming they do not know if she is trying to stay here illegally.

So, again, do I have to contact the USCIS to inform them of this, or just let it die??

I am sorry, maybe I need to be more clear. She does have her two year greencard. We were just waiting on the unconditional card, when she decided she wanted to go back home to Japan

Many thanks for your help

rjgacek

Edited by rjgacek

Timeline

What is the purpose of waiting for the green card when she wants to go back to Japan? After all , her permanent visa in Japan has already been voided since she left more than a year ago! By the way, I'm a Filipina with permanent residency visa in Japan too engage to be married soon. I was advised from the Tokyo immigration that my visa will not be of use if I would not return in less than a year.

Timeline

I posted this question, not sure if I am in the right forum. I can not find my posting. Anyways, I need some help with a question. My Wife was here on a Fiancee Visa, and went through the whole process. She received her Green card last May of 2014. We now been married for about 14 months.

Things have been tough on us. Her english is very good, but, I believe she was having a hard time adjusting to our American culture, food, employment, etc. We had our ups and downs during this short marriage.

Now my question is, she decided to pack up and she bought a one way ticket back to Japan and Has already left, she is Filippino but has been a permanent resident in Japan for 11 years before I met her

Now, I feel she has left me holding the bag, we accomplished alot during this time, Drivers License, a $11 an hour job, she met filippino friends here, marriage, social security card, she got certified by taking a Certified Nursing Assistant class, everything including the 10 year uncondtional process that is due within 6 months or so

Anyways, please, I need to know, if I need to report this to USCIS???? Or do I just let it alone?? Not sure, because, I would assume if I do not inform them and the time comes for the Unconditional Paper work to be done, I dont want them to think she is hiding or trying to stay here without finishing the process

She landed sometime today in Japan, and that is where she belongs, but, what is my responsibility now dealing with the USCIS, can anyone help me

Thank you kindly

rjgacek

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

great questions - I suggest this:

Find out if she wants to maintain her green card status. If she does not, she can turn in her card in person at the US Embassy in Toyko. That gets you off the hook, legally, for the I-864 that you signed.

If you think it's over, file for divorce soonish.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from ROC to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum~

(organizer hat off)

I am certainly sorry to hear of this unfortunate turn of events in your immigration journey. The forum where I have moved your thread is the appropriate place where other VJ folks can hopefully offer good advice to you.

Best wishes.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Timeline

Most liekely she is thinking of her benifit, she thinks she makes more money in Japan rather in America.

You are on the bottom list of her priorities. IF she would loved you truly she would be happy to make 11$ an hour and live her life.

she got a green card nothing you can do anymore. Just file for divorce and move on. Good luck and i am sorry to hear that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based Visas to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits ~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Usually in such posting...its accompanied by a long hatred description of their spouse.

But in your case, your are very polite and sound bit resentful at the fact that all this

effort is going to a waste.

All marriages can have some ups and downs, and divorce topic can also pop up

out of emotional frustration more than real desire at times.

Have you guys really talked this through deeply? Or sought counseling?

Sometimes patched up relationship can become stronger if both parties have the right attitude.

If she realizes her ability to return to Japan is complicated (based on above posting),

perhaps she may think differently.

Her 2 year GC has some time left, and you are not quite at the point to

apply for 10 year GC soon, so as far USCIS is concerned,

I don't think you need to do anything at this point

especially if she truly winds up leaving US (back to Japan or Philippine).

Very rarely, I see a poster posting such potential break up situation

without totally trashing the other partner...I think that means something...

hopefully you guys can work things out...you sound like a good man

and she seems special to you.

Best of luck.

Edited by DualityOneness
10-04-2013 We met online
11-21-2013 We met in person in Shanghai for 2 weeks

12-13-2013 I-129F packet sent via express

12-19-2013 USCIS NOA #1 (text and email) received

12-24-2013 USCIS assigns Alien Registration Number
12-31-2013 USCIS NOA #1 hard copy received
06-02-2014 USCIS web site shows NOA #2 approval
06-06-2014 USCIS web site shows case sent to NVC

06-xx-2014 Fiancee acquired birth, marriage, and police certificates from local police station (wrong)

06-16-2014 NVC creates case with GUZ### number

06-19-2014 NVC sends case sent to Guangzhou, China
06-24-2014 Received packet 3 express mail from embassy
06-25-2014 Completed DS-160 and paid K1 visa fee

06-26-2014 Mailed packet 3 response back to Embassy

06-26-2014 Requested police certificate from Russian embassy

07-08-2014 Received packet 4 email from Embassy

07-17-2014 Picked up Russian police certificate

07-25-2014 Fiancee medical exam (received MMR & Varicella, but they missed required TD shot)

07-31-2014 Picked up medical exam reports

08-01-2014 Request (correct) birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service (GongZhengChu)

08-06-2014 Picked up birth, marriage, and police certificates from Notarial Service

08-14-2014 Passed Interview Guangzhou embassy

09-01-2014 Received passport, visa, & sealed envelope

09-13-2014 POE

09-17-2014 Went to CBP office to get (US entry) I-94 updated correctly

09-18-2014 Applied for Social Security Card
09-19-2014 Applied for Marriage License (via online)
09-25-2014 Received Social Security Card
09-30-2014 Picked up Marriage License
10-09-2014 Marriage by Justice of Peace
10-09-2014 Got Certified Marriage Certificate Copies
10-17-2014 Received a letter from SS office that they need the marriage license
10-09-2014 Applied to change the social security card name
10-24-2014 Went back to SS office to provide the marriage certificate documents again!!!
12-09-2014 Submitted AOS, EAD, and AP
12-16-2014 Received 16 emails and 16 text NOA messages
01-05-2015 Received Biometrics appointment letter for (01-12-2015)
01-12-2015 Had Biometrics (fingerprint & picture) - Required Marriage Certificate!!!
02-17-2015 EAD and AP is approved
02-23-2015 Received AP is approval letter
02-25-2015 Received EAD/AP combo card (expires 02/16/2016)
02-27-2015 Applied for SS card name change (they took her SS card)
02-27-2015 Driver's learner permit test was denied since the SS card was given to SS office for name change
03-17-2015 Received SS card with married name
03-17-2015 Started to change all her accounts to married name
03-23-2015 Received potential interview waiver letter
03-27-2015 DMV rejects learner's permit due to "legal status=pending" and vision test failure
04-05-2015 Vision test for learner's permit
04-06-2015 DPS sent us letter that DHS cleared my wife's status to acquire driver's license.
04-10-2015 Passed Driver Learner's Permit
04-22-2015 Received Driver Learner's Permit ID card (expires 02/16/2016)
08-27-2015 Green Card approved
08-31-2015 Received Green Card "Welcome Notice Was Mailed" letter
09-05-2015 Received Green card
10-26-2015 Passed Driver's License Road Test (on 3rd attempt)
11-03-2015 Received Driver's License (expires 02/16/2022)
11-06-2015 Applied to remove conditional work remark on SS card
11-23-2015 Received updated Social Security Card.
- - - - - - - - - - Pending Future Processing - - - - - - - - - -
05-27-2017 File 10 Year Green Card
08-27-2017 2 Year Green Card Expires
05-27-2018 File USC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Duplicate threads merged. Please only make one thread for the same topic.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Most liekely she is thinking of her benifit, she thinks she makes more money in Japan rather in America.

You are on the bottom list of her priorities. IF she would loved you truly she would be happy to make 11$ an hour and live her life.

she got a green card nothing you can do anymore. Just file for divorce and move on. Good luck and i am sorry to hear that.

The OP never mentioned money and it's no one's place to make assumptions like this, sometimes marriages just don't work. The OP seems like a nice guy who just wants to know what to do next, no need to add fuel to the fire.

OP I don't have an answer for you, but I wish you the best. We see so many people in your situation who are Hell bent on revenge, you seem like a nice guy with a good head on your shoulders. Please let us know how it works out for you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The OP never mentioned money and it's no one's place to make assumptions like this, sometimes marriages just don't work. The OP seems like a nice guy who just wants to know what to do next, no need to add fuel to the fire.

OP I don't have an answer for you, but I wish you the best. We see so many people in your situation who are Hell bent on revenge, you seem like a nice guy with a good head on your shoulders. Please let us know how it works out for you.

Where did "trashing" and "revenge" come up here guys? Lots of couples simply fall out of love and have normal separations for a wide variety of reasons. I think this guy just wants some support for his ideas.

1. He should notify USCIS, my wife left and he wants to terminate the contract for the I-864. He should also get an Infopass and go to his local office
  2. Darnell gave great advice, too. File for divorce.
  3. The woman wants to go. Let her go. No need for counseling. The OP even said the relationship had its challenges.

Back to trashing and revenge. As many of you know my sad tale. As a US Citizen who was completely cheated and now has a Federal level adjudication against himself for emotional abuse I will say this. You may call some things trashing and revenge, as we have seen that on this website, however for US Citizen victims of fraud to not seek fair judicial consequences for those crimes is simply allowing the flood gates to open for more fraudsters.

IF YOU ARE A VICTIM OF IMMIGRATION FRAUD, THEN YOU MUST REPORT IT TO ICE. End of story. Thousands of marauding foreigners are breaking the hearts and bank accounts of US Citizens and all too often VAWA is giving the foreign criminal terrorists undue relief.

As for this OP, he just wasn't able to grow his relationship. He does need to write some letters and then move on. Hopefully, he can remain friendly with his ex if he so chooses. In my case, I have no friends who are lying, scamming, cheaters. And even though I might be a lying, scamming, cheating, trashing, vengeful, A-hole abuser myself at least I have no friends who are. :) And best of all I am not married to one.

OP, write your letters, get an Infopass, and contact a divorce attorney. You can even be amicable about it. By the way, the only 4 letter word I ever used in speaking to my ex was "WIFE." LOL

Sincerely,

VerySadGuy

30 year healthcare professional

Victim of heinous immigration romance scam

Father of a lovely little girl

And champion for those wronged by fraud.

Filed: Timeline

however for US Citizen victims of fraud to not seek fair judicial consequences for those crimes is simply allowing the flood gates to open for more fraudsters.

IF YOU ARE A VICTIM OF IMMIGRATION FRAUD, THEN YOU MUST REPORT IT TO ICE. End of story. Thousands of marauding foreigners are breaking the hearts and bank accounts of US Citizens and all too often VAWA is giving the foreign criminal terrorists undue relief.

As for this OP, he just wasn't able to grow his relationship. He does need to write some letters and then move on. Hopefully, he can remain friendly with his ex if he so chooses. In my case, I have no friends who are lying, scamming, cheaters. And even though I might be a lying, scamming, cheating, trashing, vengeful, A-hole abuser myself at least I have no friends who are. :) And best of all I am not married to one.

OP, write your letters, get an Infopass, and contact a divorce attorney. You can even be amicable about it. By the way, the only 4 letter word I ever used in speaking to my ex was "WIFE." LOL

:thumbs: very well said.

Dont really see fraud though here, just a sad case of a marriage not working out.

Disagree with your #1 however.

We must remember this is HER GC. Not his. If he calls up/goes into office and starts talking about 864 they are going to shut him down completely. Card is already issued. No way in h*ll to pull/cancel/revoke 864 on active card. He cant cancel her card, he cant surrender it on her behalf, He can notify them that shes gone- but its like *shrug* she has travel privileges -so what? He can notify them she has no intentions of ROC'ing but until she doesnt- well theres no way to know for sure that she wont.

His question is

Do I have to report to the USCIS that my wife has left to go back to where she is more happy in Japan, or do I do nothing?? I am assuming by the time the unconditional process is due, they have to know something, because I am also assuming they do not know if she is trying to stay here illegally.

The answer is No. He does not have to anything. But SHE sure as heck should if she would like to prevent future problems with obtaining visas to the US in the future and he should advise her of so.

She should as Darnell stated turn in her card to nearest US Embassy asap. (this will cancel her status as soon as she does it and cancel the 864 for the OP- relief all around)

OR she can do nothing. Wait for her ROC date to come up. USCIS will be looking for her ROC application. It will never come. They will go through the tedious automated process of cancelling her GC due to lack of filing. His 864 will be cancelled. This is going to take time. Everything in immigration is slow, its not like your ROC was due on Monday and on Tuesday your GC is cancelled.

If months/years later she wishes to return for work/vacation/remarriage- whatever the reason- they will look at her records and see what transpired. That she failed to file forms and her card was revoked and she didnt follow the required procedure of surrendering it upon leaving permanently.

She could honestly say she didnt know, but once you advise her of it- then she would be lying. So urge her to do the right thing.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Wow! lots of opinions here that have nothing to do with the issue at hand.

- Inform USCIS.

- If you two are still in talking terms, maybe ask her to please turn her GC over to the US embassy in Tokyo.

- File for divorce.

Wish you the best of luck!

UnaMexicana

:yes:Intelligence trumps muscle... Imagination trumps both! :yes:

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Consulate : Cd. Juarez, Mexico
Met: January, 2006 :D
Marriage (if applicable): 2012-10-26 (L)
I-130 Sent : 2014-08-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-08-04

I-130 NOA2 : 2015-05-14

Shipped to DoS: 2015-05-22

Received at NVC: 2015-06-01

Case Created at NVC: 2015-06-10 (from Julian Date calculation)

AOS and IV Fee Invoiced: 2015-06-11
AOS and IV Fee Paid: Website down as of 06-15... Just waiting...
AOS and IV Fee Paid: 2015-07-05 CEAC site finally UP! :dancing:

AOS and Civil Docs received at NVC: 2015-10-13

NVC checklist for obsolete i864: 2015-11-25

Submit updated i864: ?????? when my lawyer desires... :clock:
Submit updated i864: Did NOT wait for lawywer. Did it myself 2015-12-10
NVC received reply to checklist i864: 2015-12-10 (yes.. same day O.O)

NVC case completed: 2016-01-07
NVC assigned interview date: 2016-01-23
Interview at CJS consulate: 2016-03-30

Visa "Issued": 2016-04-05
Entered the US: 2016-04-27

SSN Arrived: 2016-05-07 ... wow TEN days!

N-400

Filed Online: 2020-06-30

NOA: 2020-07-01

Biometrics Letter: 2021-04-08
Biometrics Appointment: 2021-05-03
Interview Scheduled/Cancelled: 2021-06-25 (never received online nor mail notification, just an email reply to tier 2 inquiry about status)

Interview ReScheduled: 2021-11-02

Interview Date: 2021-11-30

Oath ceremony Scheduled/Cancelled/Placed in Line: 2021-12-01
Oath: 2022-1-24 ... JOURNEY OVER! 😺

event.png

event.png

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

She should as Darnell stated turn in her card to nearest US Embassy asap. (this will cancel her status as soon as she does it and cancel the 864 for the OP- relief all around)

OR she can do nothing. Wait for her ROC date to come up. USCIS will be looking for her ROC application. It will never come. They will go through the tedious automated process of cancelling her GC due to lack of filing. His 864 will be cancelled. This is going to take time. Everything in immigration is slow, its not like your ROC was due on Monday and on Tuesday your GC is cancelled.

If months/years later she wishes to return for work/vacation/remarriage- whatever the reason- they will look at her records and see what transpired. That she failed to file forms and her card was revoked and she didnt follow the required procedure of surrendering it upon leaving permanently.

She could honestly say she didnt know, but once you advise her of it- then she would be lying. So urge her to do the right thing.

Curious about this. Is there any requirement to inform of green card abandonment? Seems to me that just leaving the country is evidence of abandonment, right?

May 29th, 2015 - Sent AOS package

June 1, 2015 - Package received by USCIS

June 4, 2015 - Biometrics Fee Accepted

June 20, 2015 - Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

June 30, 2015 - Biometrics Appointment

August 6, 2015 - I-131 approved

August 6, 2015 - Your card was ordered

August 7, 2015 - I-765 approved

August 20, 2015 - EAD received

Curious about this. Is there any requirement to inform of green card abandonment? Seems to me that just leaving the country is evidence of abandonment, right?

She can travel on her GC! There's nothing about that that says abandonment; only what she told the OP. For all anyone knows, that's her plan to get out of his life & then will return to a friend's address & then live with them as she builds her new life & ROCs.

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.