Jen144

Acceptable ID for Form I-864A

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I've got my husband's dad filling out form I-864A for us to be a joint sponsor/household member. However, we need to include his birth certificate for ID, which he's apparently currently misplaced, and ordering a replacement will take far too long past my visa expiration date. Can a driver's licence be acceptable ID?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

You'll get an RFE if you just send the birth certificate

April 27, 2016: I-751 mailed

May 2: I-751 received

May ??? NOA1

May 12: Check cashed

May 31: Biometrics appointment scheduled

June 1: Biometrics appointment letter arrives!

June 2: Biometrics walk-in

I've got my husband's dad filling out form I-864A for us to be a joint sponsor/household member. However, we need to include his birth certificate for ID, which he's apparently currently misplaced, and ordering a replacement will take far too long past my visa expiration date. Can a driver's licence be acceptable ID?

You can send his passport's biographic page. DL is not proof of citizenship/ LPR.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Is he going to be a joint sponsor, or a qualified household member? They are not the same thing.

A joint sponsor filling out an I-864 needs to provide proof of being a USC or LPR.

From the I-864 instructions, Page 4 >

Proof of U.S. citizen, national, or permanent resident status is required for joint and substitute sponsors and for

relatives of employment-based immigrants who file this form. Petitioning relatives who have already filed proof of

their citizenship or immigration status with Form I-129F, Form I-130, Form I-600 and Form I-600A do not need to

submit proof of their status with this form.

Proof of U.S. citizen or national status includes a copy of your birth certificate, certificate of naturalization, certificate

of citizenship, consular report of birth abroad to citizen parents, or a copy of the biographic data page of your U.S.

passport.

Proof of permanent resident status includes a photocopy of both sides of the "green card," Form I-551, Alien

Registration Receipt Card/Permanent Resident Card; or a photocopy of an unexpired temporary I-551 stamp in either a

foreign passport or a DHS Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Document.

A household member that is filling out an I-864A to combine incomes with the sponsor filling out an I-864 needs proof of relationship and that they have the same residence.

From the I-864A instructions, Page 2 >

If you are the household member completing this form,

but are not the intending immigrant, check box ©, and

check the box below that describes your relationship to

the sponsor. If you check "dependent," you must be listed

as a dependent on the sponsor's most recent Federal tax

return. You do not have to provide proof that you have

the same principal residence as the sponsor. If you check

any other relative except for spouse, you must provide

proof of the relationship and that you have the same

principal residence as the sponsor.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

He's filling out I-864a as a household member. Does that mean he ONLY needs proof of income and relationship to my husband? If so, would both of their driver's licences showing the same address, some bills addressed to each of them at the same address, and the fact that my husband's birth certificate lists his dad work?

Timeline

He's filling out I-864a as a household member. Does that mean he ONLY needs proof of income and relationship to my husband? If so, would both of their driver's licences showing the same address, some bills addressed to each of them at the same address, and the fact that my husband's birth certificate lists his dad work?

Yes. The father just needs to provide proof of relationship, and the birth certificate with him listed as the father shows that. Copy of IDs with the same addresses, plus both their tax returns that you need to provide would also show the same address as proof they reside together.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Wonderful!

My husband doesn't have any tax returns for the last year as he's not had a job. Is that an issue?

If your husband had no income, then the father should probably fill out his own I-864 as joint sponsor. The I-864A is used to combine incomes with the sponsor filling out an I-864 to meet the requirement together. Your husband has no income to combine with.

Your husband needs to include a statement as to why he did not have to file taxes.

Timeline

Damnit, but the I-864A would make it perfect...is my husband just able to prove no income (barring some student loan extra) and combine it with his dad's? Because getting his birth certificate will take far too long...

Timeline

He can list whatever income he has and combine it with his father's. Your husband would just need to provide proof of the income, and if that income is below the IRS filing threshold, he can still just provide the statement about not being legally required to file because his income was below the IRS filing threshold.

Timeline

Ok wonderful. Can the statement just be a short letter explaining it (and signed by him), or does it have to be an official document from somewhere?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.