JuanAustin

Extending I-129F in Colombia due to work reasons

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Our I-129F was approved in July 25, 2014. It was emailed to my fiance from the US Embassy in Bogota on August 26, 2014. However, it went into her spam and we never realized until we emailed the embassy and they told us that it was emailed (I thought that she would receive a package in snail mail). That was in December 2014. I emailed them back saying that continuing the process and were planning to request an appointment in March 2015.

Even though the I-129F is valid for 4 months from the initial approval date, meaning from July 25, 2014 - Nov 25, 2014, the email we received from the embassy said that we had one year to request the appointment. This information is consistent with eveything that I have read in this forum where the embassy can automatically extend the I-129F up to one year.

My issue is the following: My fiance and I have very busy work schedules. Even though I am in the US and she is in Colombia, we still see each other every month, max every two months. She has always been able to enter the US with her tourist visa without a problem. We were planning to make an appointment this month, but we haven't been able due to work. Additionally, my fiance would have to stay in Colombia till end of September. Is it reasonable to request a further extension of the I-129F?

Thanks

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to MLSA Regional Forum~

~Inquiry is embassy-specific~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Our I-129F was approved in July 25, 2014. It was emailed to my fiance from the US Embassy in Bogota on August 26, 2014. However, it went into her spam and we never realized until we emailed the embassy and they told us that it was emailed (I thought that she would receive a package in snail mail). That was in December 2014. I emailed them back saying that continuing the process and were planning to request an appointment in March 2015.

Even though the I-129F is valid for 4 months from the initial approval date, meaning from July 25, 2014 - Nov 25, 2014, the email we received from the embassy said that we had one year to request the appointment. This information is consistent with eveything that I have read in this forum where the embassy can automatically extend the I-129F up to one year.

My issue is the following: My fiance and I have very busy work schedules. Even though I am in the US and she is in Colombia, we still see each other every month, max every two months. She has always been able to enter the US with her tourist visa without a problem. We were planning to make an appointment this month, but we haven't been able due to work. Additionally, my fiance would have to stay in Colombia till end of September. Is it reasonable to request a further extension of the I-129F?

Thanks

JuanAustin,

Your petition and your case is now at the hands of the US embassy and I think it's best that you ask them directly when is the max due date for you to request an appointment. Also, keep in mind that once your fiancée's visa is approved, she has 6 months to use it, so that gives you extra time to plan everything else.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

Thanks.

Is email the best (only) way to get in contact? Or can you get somebody on the phone?

I believe you can call them Wednesdays from 2-4 (local time) but I always prefer email, that way I can also keep their responses as evidence should anything happen, plus they reply to emails on any day, not just Wednesdays.

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Timeline

What is the best number for the US Embassy in Bogota?

Everytime I've written an email, responses take weeks.

Thanks again

Below is their contact info. After looking at their contact numbers I noticed that the number they have for people who are calling from the US for nonimmigrant visa inquiries is the same number for immigrant visa inquiries. I called that number last Thursday morning to ask a question about my aunt's tourist visa appointment and they answered right away. So call it any day of the week to see if they answer.

http://bogota.usembassy.gov/ae_about_the_embassy.html

Diana

CR-1

05/03/07 - NOA2

08/08/07 - Case Complete

10/02/07 - POE

Removing Conditions

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

U.S. Citizenship

05/12/11 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.