zlund1

Does NVC do employment verification for the I-864 AOS?

5 posts in this topic

Ok here goes - wife and I have been living in Abu Dhabi. I've returned back to the States to establish my domicile here (I"m a USC) and get set up and working here so I had to write 0 for my income. Wife went back home to the Philippines waiting for the visa to finish. I used my mom for a joint sponsor as my father is retired. She however is in a very bad job that she hates but her income is enough to be over the income requirements. Come to find out, she quit her job today in order to find a better position. NVC received our paperwork on Feb 5, so approx April 5 for that 60 day review mark. Does NVC do any sort of employment verification or do they simply just look at the prior tax statement/documents, your pay stubs, numbers you fill in? I'm all for my mom being happy and all but hoping this doesn't throw a wrench in being together with my wife again sooner rather than later.

It absolutely throws a wrench into your plan. The NVC is not the one who needs the AOS in the long run. All they collect all the information and try to make sure it's right for the CO. In the end it's the consulate on interview date who adjudicates the AOS and domicile requirements. If any changes happen before then you have to update with a new AOS. Not to update it would constitute misrepresentation.

I suggest finding another joint sponsor.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Because there has been a fundamental change in the I-864 your mom completed (i.e. her source of income is no longer there), then the I-864 that she filled out is not longer valid. Unless your mom has and is willing to use assets and said assets are 5 times the difference to meet the poverty guideline threshold, then she does not currently meet the requirements to qualify as a joint sponsor.

To not update the I-864 constitutes Material Misrepresentation and there are heavy penalties for this.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Ok - so I've found a new joint sponsor, so fill out the new paperwork for that person and send everything in. Should I write some sort of note like please discard the other joint sponsor as her employment situation has changed and update with the new joint sponsor (uncle)?

So this will essentially just add another 60 at least day ticker correct?

Side question - we sent the I130 to the Chicago lockbox which ended up at the Texas SC in mid-September. We got a RFE in November and got the NOA2 on Dec 5. Received case# from NVC on the 41st day, Jan 5th. First AOS was rec'd Feb 5 and the IV documents were rec'd Mar 5, now with the new joint sponsor info to be rec'd maybe Mar 12/13, with the 60 day mark looking at May 12/13 for that day. Barring any check list, any chance we might get a Case Complete/Interview for June or July? Just trying to get a better idea so we can have a general count down and something to look forward to.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The new I-864 filled out by the new joint sponsor can be brought to the interview.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.