usman104

Green Card expirarion

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

hi guyz,

i wanna get some information about the green card expiration of my mother,her green card will be expired in next year march 2016. so, she wants to travel in pakistan in November 2015 and she expected to live their 4 months .so i want to ask that when can i apply for renewal of her green card.?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

~ Moved from AOS from Family Based Visas to General Immigration-Related Discussion - topic about renewing green card/similar topics found there~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

hi guyz,

i wanna get some information about the green card expiration of my mother,her green card will be expired in next year march 2016. so, she wants to travel in pakistan in November 2015 and she expected to live their 4 months .so i want to ask that when can i apply for renewal of her green card.?

She can apply for a new green card when her current card is within 6 months of expiration. So if her card expires in 03/2016, she can file an I-90 in October of 2015. It will take several months for her to get her new green card, so it makes sense for her to apply when she returns to the US.

You said that she's leaving in November for 4 months, so she should apply when she returns in February of 2016 and she should make sure that she returns before her green card expires to avoid complications.

If she needs to travel after filing next March (or if she chooses to file before her trip in November), she can visit a USCIS office and show them the application receipt, the should (not guaranteed) issue an I-551 stamp on her passport which will act as proof of permanent residency for 1 year. If she waits until February to file and doesn't need to travel abroad again before getting her new card, she won't need to do this.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-90instr.pdf

See section 2.f.

Also, read this:

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/B2en.pdf

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.