JohnR!

Fraternity Is Closed Over Video With Slurs

113 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

Good. These thugs have no place in the halls of academia.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/10/us/university-of-oklahoma-cuts-ties-to-fraternity-after-racist-videos-surface.html

10OKLAHOMAWEB2-articleLarge.jpg

NORMAN, Okla. — The University of Oklahoma severed ties to one of the nation’s largest college fraternities on Monday, and ordered the campus chapter to vacate its fraternity house, after videos surfaced that appeared to show fraternity members singing a racist song.

At a predawn rally on the campus here, the university president, David L. Boren, said members of the fraternity, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, must remove their personal belongings from the chapter house by midnight Tuesday, after which the house would be closed. Hours later, a cluster of moving vans was parked outside the house, which had been vandalized overnight.

The fraternity’s national organization said Sunday night that it had closed the chapter and suspended all of its members.

“These people have acted in a way that is absolutely reprehensible and disgraceful,” Mr. Boren, a former Oklahoma governor and United States senator, said at the campus rally, which drew several hundred to protest the fraternity members’ actions. “I don’t have words in my vocabulary to adequately describe how I feel about people who would use those words in that way, and chant in that way.

Edited by JohnR!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Political correctness gone mad. People have a right to be idiots. I don't support racism, but are they going to react the same way when a black fraternity, hosts black pride events or plays vulgar music with the same exact word in it. Of course not

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Political correctness gone mad. People have a right to be idiots. I don't support racism, but are they going to react the same way when a black fraternity, hosts black pride events or plays vulgar music with the same exact word in it. Of course not

Exactly......

Filed: Timeline

So much for our universities being a battleground for ideas. Of course, that was always a canard. It is not critical thinking that is encouraged, it is correct thinking.

UC Irvine reverses American flag ban

Sometimes the problem is overt racism, sometimes it is overt "inclusion". These young minds need some space to develop, yet it seems, we can not allow them too much space, or they will get lost. When does "exploring" become "getting lost"?

Timeline

On the contrary. Thanks to these thugs, critical thinking is taking place at the campus as we speak involving the entire alumni body. What they were doing was simply being bigots and racist amongst themselves. By operating like a closed club they were not encouraging discourse or debate, so much as they had stifled any ideas with their prejudice. They were no different than the KKK when it comes to rational critical or even correct thinking.

Having said that they are entitled to their First Amendment rights and nobody is questioning that. They are free to continue their fraternity elsewhere, just not in the private campus of the university. I'm sure there are several Christian colleges that would welcome them with open arms.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/03/10/us/ap-us-oklahoma-fraternity-racist-video.html

Fallout Continues at Univ. Of Oklahoma Over Racist Video

NORMAN, Okla. — A racist chant by several members of a University of Oklahoma fraternity that was caught on video led to outrage from the school's president and the organization's banishment from campus, but fallout from the incident appears far from over.

President David Boren said an investigation is underway to determine if some of the students could be expelled for violating Title VI of the Civil Rights Act, which prohibits racial discrimination. The video, which was posted online, shows several people on a bus participating in a chant that included a racial slur, referenced lynching and indicated black students would never be admitted to OU's chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon.

"We are also going to look at any individual perpetrators, particularly those that we think took a lead in this kind of activity," Boren said.

A top high school recruit de-committed from the university on Monday after seeing the video. And an online fundraiser has been launched to help support an African-American cook who worked at the fraternity for about a decade.

The incident also had a profound effect on many of the roughly 1,400 black students who attend the university's Norman campus.

"I was shocked they were just doing it openly on the bus, like they were proud of it," said Jared Scarborough, a junior in construction science who is African-American. "From the chant, you could tell they had done it before. It wasn't a first-time thing. And it was everybody. And the fist-pumping."

So much for our universities being a battleground for ideas. Of course, that was always a canard. It is not critical thinking that is encouraged, it is correct thinking.

UC Irvine reverses American flag ban

Sometimes the problem is overt racism, sometimes it is overt "inclusion". These young minds need some space to develop, yet it seems, we can not allow them too much space, or they will get lost. When does "exploring" become "getting lost"?

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Timeline

I don't think hosting a black pride event is the same thing as making a racial slur.

To some degree it is. This happened only two years ago...

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/30/living/wilcox-integrated-prom/

Segregated proms are a longstanding reality in this farming community 160 miles south of Atlanta, and until recently, at several schools nearby. Some in Wilcox County say it's just an old habit that's hard to break. A few argue the proms are private because of cost and liability or because parents won't cede control. They say people "self-segregate," and kids can't agree on country or hip-hop, "white music" or "black music."

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

I'm sure there are several Christian colleges that would welcome them with open arms.

Such an inclusive comment, equating racism with Christianity. How is that false sense of superiority working for you?

Edited by I AM NOT THAT GUY

Timeline

QED.

Thanks for making my point.

By operating like a closed club they were not encouraging discourse or debate, so much as they had stifled any ideas with their prejudice.

Such an inclusive comment, equating racism with Christianity. How is that false sense of superiority working for you?

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

The young men were given wide latitude to make choices. With any choice there is consequence. At least they still have time to learn from this.

I knew some wild and crazy SOB's when I was in school. Never heard any of them say stuff like this. It's not boy's being boys. It's boys being racists. Hope they find time to grow up somewhere along the way.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

QED.

Thanks for making my point.

By operating like a closed club they were not encouraging discourse or debate, so much as they had stifled any ideas with their prejudice.

What point? That you lack command of the English language?