KennMario

Interview Experience AOS + Case held for review QUESTIONS please?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Portugal
Timeline

Just called USCIS about my case , they told me I had to go to court for name change because we convinced names , I guess I will just have the green card processed and then go to court to change names then change the greencard

Here's why this is a terrible idea:

1. Court filing fees in California for a name change are about $500.

2. In the eyes of the State of California, your name is now legally your married name. You cannot ask to legally change your name from your bachelor name to your married name now.

Example:

Your name was Bobby Bachelor. You married Stanley Surname. You chose to use avail yourself of the right to modify your last name upon marriage, and you put on your marriage license at the bottom that your new name would be 'Bobby Bachelor-Surname'. As of the date of your marriage, that is now your name by law. So if you walk to a probate court judge and say, 'I want to change my name from Bobby Bachelor to Bobby Bachelor-Surname!', the clerk or judge will rightfully tell you, 'Nope. Your name already is Bobby Bachelor-Surname'.

Listen to KayDeeCee, whose advice is perfect. Make an Infopass and get a supervisor. I think that you'll be surprised how quickly they'll help you out. They've instructions to treat same-sex couples the same as opposite-sex couples, and one person's flouting of California law and USCIS's own guidelines should not be seen as the final answer.

Further, you're in LA. Did you know that the LA LGBT Center is the largest LGBT organisation in the world? You're really in the perfect place to kick up a bit of a fuss about this and have others champion your cause, so you really shouldn't be nervous. But that's secondary, because I'm confident that if you just follow KayDeeCee's advice, you'll have this all sorted quickly.

You don't want to end up with a green card that doesn't match your Social that doesn't match your passport that doesn't match your DL. It's a .

2015-01-09 mailed AoS package

2015-01-15 e-notification received

2015-01-16 NOA Date

2015-02-04 biometric appointment

2015-03-04 EAD/AP approval email

2015-03-11 EAD mailed

2015-03-16 EAD/AP combo card received

2015-03-26 Interview scheduled online

2015-04-28 Approved for GC at AOS interview

Here's why this is a terrible idea:

1. Court filing fees in California for a name change are about $500.

2. In the eyes of the State of California, your name is now legally your married name. You cannot ask to legally change your name from your bachelor name to your married name now.

Example:

Your name was Bobby Bachelor. You married Stanley Surname. You chose to use avail yourself of the right to modify your last name upon marriage, and you put on your marriage license at the bottom that your new name would be 'Bobby Bachelor-Surname'. As of the date of your marriage, that is now your name by law. So if you walk to a probate court judge and say, 'I want to change my name from Bobby Bachelor to Bobby Bachelor-Surname!', the clerk or judge will rightfully tell you, 'Nope. Your name already is Bobby Bachelor-Surname'.

Listen to KayDeeCee, whose advice is perfect. Make an Infopass and get a supervisor. I think that you'll be surprised how quickly they'll help you out. They've instructions to treat same-sex couples the same as opposite-sex couples, and one person's flouting of California law and USCIS's own guidelines should not be seen as the final answer.

Further, you're in LA. Did you know that the LA LGBT Center is the largest LGBT organisation in the world? You're really in the perfect place to kick up a bit of a fuss about this and have others champion your cause, so you really shouldn't be nervous. But that's secondary, because I'm confident that if you just follow KayDeeCee's advice, you'll have this all sorted quickly.

You don't want to end up with a green card that doesn't match your Social that doesn't match your passport that doesn't match your DL. It's a ######.

I have been trying to set an infopass but it keeps saying that there aren't any infopasses available

I checked status right now and it changed to :

New Card Is Being Produced

On March 19, 2015, we ordered your new card for Receipt Number ##########, and will mail it to the address you gave us. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

So that means it was approved !? :-)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Unfortunate situation. This is probably the only reason I was glad to receive the Notice of Potential Interview Waiver letter to avoid situations such as this one. My wife and I got married in Los Angeles, California, and she took my last name. There is a spot on the bottom of the Marriage application that asks about new last name. I paid a Christan Reverend to marry us. She handled all the paperwork. We never had to step into a courthouse. All USCIS papers, EAD/AP card have her new last name, never had an issue. This was probably just an ignorant immigration officer. Again, very unfortunate.

Edited by espared12

K-1 Timeline

K-1 Interview Result: APPROVED!

Married on 03/12/2014

AOS Timeline

Mailed I-485, I-131, I-765: 04/14/2014

I-485, I-131, I-765 delivered by USPS: 04/15/2014

Check cashed by USCIS: 04/19/2014

I-485, I-131, I-765 NOA: 04/20/2014

I-485 RFE: 05/12/2014

I-485 RFE Received: 5/21/2014

I-131 and I-765 Approved: 06/28/2014

EAD/AP Combo Card Mailed: 07/07/2014

POTENTIAL INTERVIEW WAIVER LETTER DATED 07/29/2014

Card/Document Production: 04/07/2015

Welcome Notice Sent: 04/07/2015

AOS APPROVAL PREDICTION DATE: April 22, 2015 brought to you by good ol' Mountain Dew!

APPROVED!!!! 04/07/2015

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I have been trying to set an infopass but it keeps saying that there aren't any infopasses available

I checked status right now and it changed to :

New Card Is Being Produced

On March 19, 2015, we ordered your new card for Receipt Number ##########, and will mail it to the address you gave us. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

So that means it was approved !? :-)

Wonderful!! Yes, you will soon receive your GC. Congratulations!!!!

K-1 Timeline

K-1 Interview Result: APPROVED!

Married on 03/12/2014

AOS Timeline

Mailed I-485, I-131, I-765: 04/14/2014

I-485, I-131, I-765 delivered by USPS: 04/15/2014

Check cashed by USCIS: 04/19/2014

I-485, I-131, I-765 NOA: 04/20/2014

I-485 RFE: 05/12/2014

I-485 RFE Received: 5/21/2014

I-131 and I-765 Approved: 06/28/2014

EAD/AP Combo Card Mailed: 07/07/2014

POTENTIAL INTERVIEW WAIVER LETTER DATED 07/29/2014

Card/Document Production: 04/07/2015

Welcome Notice Sent: 04/07/2015

AOS APPROVAL PREDICTION DATE: April 22, 2015 brought to you by good ol' Mountain Dew!

APPROVED!!!! 04/07/2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.