LucyF

Question about i 485 RFE

24 posts in this topic

3. Yes, I called again this morning, but I don't think the representative have enough insights in my case. He said I should just follow the requirement, and if there is something to cause confusion - explain in a letter. One interesting point he mentioned is that sometimes USCIS asks for things that we already provided in order to check consistency.

when you call, ask for tier 2. The reps who answer the phones have no clue. They read from the computer screen and they can't see the entire case. Tier 2 officers can see the notes made by the adjudicator. I suggest calling first thing in the morning to avoid the hour and a half hold time for tier 2.

Married March 9, 2013
NOA1 I-130 April 12, 2013

Transferred to TSC Nov 27, 2013
APPROVED March 18, 2014 FINALLY ! ! ! !! 11 MONTHS & 6 LONG DAYS FOR MY NOA2
Case shipped from TSC to NVC March 21, 2014
Rec'd NOA2 hard copy March 22, 2014
Case rec'd & Case Number assigned April 1, 2014
AMAZING !!!
PAID IV and AOS fees online April 5, 2014
Fees show paid/DS 260 avail. /DS260 submitted/AOS&IV pkg sent April 9, 2014
FEDEX delivered @ NVC April 11, 2014
Revised AOS pkg delivered April 15, 2014
AOS & IV rec'd& scanned in @ NVC April 15, 2014
Revised AOS scanned April 18, 2014
AOS checklist for income and IV pkg April 30, 2014 (checklist expected due to Lawyers mistakes)
DS260 accepted April 30, 2014
Checklist for Birth cert/police cert May 1, 2014
AOS accepted May 5, 2014

Birth cert scanned MAY 8, 2014

CASE COMPLETE JUNE 4, 2014 CC letter received via email June 11, 2014

INTERVIEW JULY 15, 2014

Waiver finally FedEx'd to Phoenix Lockbox August 21, 2014

WAIVER APPROVED December 17, 2014

Received Instruction Letter via email December 23, 2014

Final Embassy Appointment January 5, 2015 YAY !

Visa ISSUED January 12, 2015

event.png

event.png

when you call, ask for tier 2. The reps who answer the phones have no clue. They read from the computer screen and they can't see the entire case. Tier 2 officers can see the notes made by the adjudicator. I suggest calling first thing in the morning to avoid the hour and a half hold time for tier 2.

Thank you for the advice @LoveMyTico I will try it today.

Hi just a quick update: I called and reached a Tier 2 representative today, but he didn't provide much new information. From his end, he can only see that they sent out the letter - no note from the reviewer in USCIS or anything else. So I guess we will just polish all the things we have in hand and send them out again. Thank you guys for your help.

I wish the USCIS would just simply use their brains and see that since you and your husband are enrolled in PhD programs, your earning potential is obviously enough to place you above the poverty line. They really should allow education exemption. I don't think our level of education was even asked for on one form!

My husband and I are both veterinarians and he is currently completing a one year internship while I am job hunting. Clearly between the two of us we will make enough money to meet requirements but I am worried we will get RFE due to technicality (since his job has an end date and we are basing the 864 off his income).

Best of luck to you, the whole process can really make you crazy!

Our Timeline!

September 2012 - Met while on work experience

June 2013 - Moved in together

September 2014 - Engaged

November 2014 - Married (private courthouse wedding, plan to get married with friends/family in a few years)

3/20/15 - Mailed I-485, I-130, I-131, I-765 to USCIS via FedEx Overnight

3/23/15 - Day 0 AOS Package delivered to USCIS Chicago lockbox

3/26/15 - Day 3 Checks cashed

3/30/15 - Day 7 NOA1 e-mail for all forms

4/13/15 - Day 22 Received notice in mail for biometrics appointment
4/21/15 - Day 30 Scheduled biometrics appointment successful in Indianapolis
6/3/15 - Day 73 EAD Card in Production!!! Wooo!!!!!!
6/10/15 - Day 80 Received EAD/AP Combination card via USPS
7/10/15 - Day Interview Notification via Email (approximate date)
8/17/15 - Interview in Chicago
9/1/15 - Green Card Recieved

I wish the USCIS would just simply use their brains and see that since you and your husband are enrolled in PhD programs, your earning potential is obviously enough to place you above the poverty line. They really should allow education exemption. I don't think our level of education was even asked for on one form!

My husband and I are both veterinarians and he is currently completing a one year internship while I am job hunting. Clearly between the two of us we will make enough money to meet requirements but I am worried we will get RFE due to technicality (since his job has an end date and we are basing the 864 off his income).

Best of luck to you, the whole process can really make you crazy!

Thanks for your kind words @qiri. I think most people would not get RFE. Don't worry about it for now. Good luck:) (However, what I learned from our RFE experience is that - we should not send in unnecessary information to confuse USCIS officers. My father in law's i864 is already sufficient enough.)

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I wish the USCIS would just simply use their brains and see that since you and your husband are enrolled in PhD programs, your earning potential is obviously enough to place you above the poverty line.

Sorry, but receiving a PhD (or even two) does not ensure that earnings potential will be above poverty level.

It depends entirely on the field for the PhD, as well as many factors specific to the individual.

But it would be rather silly for USCIS to get involved in estimating what the earnings potential might be for any given person, or especially when the potential might be realized.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Time Line - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

10 YEAR GREEN CARD PROCESS

July 22, 2017  ROC packet sent to Vermont.

July 24, 2017  ROC packet signed for in Vermont.

August 8, 2017  NOA received at house.  15 days since ROC signed for in VSC.

August 12, 2017 ASC appointment received. 19 days since ROC in VSC.

August 25, 2017 BIO completed. 32 days since ROC received in VSC.

August 11, 2018  18 month 'Courtesy Copy' extension letter received.  Critical number  297

October 20, 2018 18 month 'Official' extension letter received.  Critical number 297

December 4, 2018  USCIS Account shows: We approved your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, 

December 4, 2018, ordered your new card for Receipt # EAC17297003XX, and will mail to the address you gave.

491 days from NOA issued by VSC until Petition approved.

December 7, 2018 USCIS sent notice:  Card mailed.

December 12, 2018 Ten year Green Card received from Lees Summit, MO

499 days from NOA issued by VSC until Green Card received.

- - - - - - - - - - 

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS

December 6, 2018 submitted N-400 application on-line.  Estimated Completion Time: 8 months or August 2019.

December 8, 2018 received notice on USCIS that Biometrics scheduled . . . but the actual date was not yet shown.

December 11, 2018 saw in 'Documents' section of USCIS that Bio scheduled for 24 December 2018.

December 21, 2018 saw on USCIS website that they will be closed 24 December 2018 as extra holiday.

January 9, 2019 went for re-scheduled BIO appointment.  33 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

February 19, 2019 received letter in US mail that Citizenship interview scheduled for 26 March 2019. 74 days after submission on-line.

March 26, 2019 Citizenship interview scheduled for.  109 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

March 26, 2019 Passed Citizenship interview.

April 12, 2019  Received notice that Oath Ceremony had been scheduled for 24 April 2019.  17 days after interview.

April 24, 2019  Oath Ceremony completed.  29 days after interview.     139 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

April 25, 2019  USA Passport Application submitted.

May 3, 2019     USA Passport received.    149 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

May 9, 2019     Certificate of Naturalization and Citizenship returned in mail.

Hi all

We had an RFE regarding i864. My husband is a pad student and we have a joint sponsor. I am confused about whether to quote the gross salary as income or gross salary minus tuition as income. Any suggestions?

Hi Leesa,

I'm sorry to hear you get RFE about i864 as well. What does USCIS ask for in your case, since you have a joint sponsor already?

As for whether to minors tuition or not, I would say only do so if tuition is not covered by school, and there is statement in his offer letter. In fact, Part 6 Item 5 should match with the amount of his offer letter of this tax year (or employment letter, if his school can provide one). And Part 6 Item 13 should simply match with tax return.

Hope it help.

Sorry, but receiving a PhD (or even two) does not ensure that earnings potential will be above poverty level.

It depends entirely on the field for the PhD, as well as many factors specific to the individual.

But it would be rather silly for USCIS to get involved in estimating what the earnings potential might be for any given person, or especially when the potential might be realized.

Yeah unfortunately that is the case. Degree does not mean much:)

The documents USCIS desires are quite reasonable. I would just appreciate it more if they can make the instruction of Part 6 more clear - of course it could because that I never paid enough attention to income/tax:p.

Edited by LucyF

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.