Coded

Help!!!

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello All!!!

Greetings to everyone on here especially those going through the long wait to get their petitions approved and waiting for NVC etc, its a very long hard wait but keep the faith. I got to the US on Feb 17th, couldn't inform ya'll because I couldn't get access to my personal email (all thanks to yahoo) and thus couldn't log on. But I finally got through today, yipee!!! Anyways I have a problem, I still don't know if we ticked the section on ELIS for SSN and I have been to the local SSN office to apply for it but was stunned by what I was told. They said they can't issue me a SSN because the visa on my passport has expired, I have been here for almost 3 weeks now & green card has not been sent. Tried to explain to the SSN officer that the visa was just for me to come to the US but all that didn't help at all. I am here & can't do anything, tired of sitting at home all day watching TV and getting annoyingly fat. I need to go out there & look for a job which I can't do without a SSN. Even get a drivers license is tired to me having a SSN & I just feel really frustrated. What can I do? How do I get through this huddle? I thought it wise to share my problem with you guys because you offered me the best suggestions and advise during my immigration process which was a huge success. I count on you again to lead on what next to do.

Thanks and God bless.

You talked to an idiot.

An endorsed immigrant visa serves as perfectly acceptable proof of LPR status for any official purpose, including for the SSA.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211025

You should return to the SSA office and ask again. If they continue to be stupid, ask for a supervisor. If the supervisor is stupid, ask for their supervisor, and so on. Printing out the page I linked and showing them would probably be a good idea, too.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello!!!

Your response and link was very useful, was in Kerville where I went to apply for SSN and was so frustrated with what the lady said. Will go to San Antonio next week and see what I can do about the SSN. Also, the officer told me I will be getting an IR1 and changed it in the appropriate section in the visa and also wrote it in the stamp section, does this mean when my green card comes I will be getting a card valid for ten years? I plan to go to SSN office in San Antonio soon. Whats your take on that???

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello!!!

Your response and link was very useful, was in Kerville where I went to apply for SSN and was so frustrated with what the lady said. Will go to San Antonio next week and see what I can do about the SSN. Also, the officer told me I will be getting an IR1 and changed it in the appropriate section in the visa and also wrote it in the stamp section, does this mean when my green card comes I will be getting a card valid for ten years? I plan to go to SSN office in San Antonio soon. Whats your take on that???

Yep an IR1 is for those married 2 years or more when they arrived so you would get a 10 year green card.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I had same experience I arrived on the 29 Jan and I was at the SSA OFFICE on the 19th feb i was called at window 9 an old man, after clicking all he can in his computer, he printed a letter out that said ssa can issue me ssn because they can't find my information or what some ever I was worried and I went home I called uscis, they told , me my data is on there system, after few a week and few day I went back and it was same old man at window 9, he still can't find my data but he told me to come back once I receive my GC lucky for me the next day I received my GC in the mail and I rushed back to ssa and I was called at same window 9 funny huh lol and he was finial ably to issue me a letter and told me to wait for 2 week I will have my ssn but he said I can still receive it in 5 days

Once you have your gc take it along with you

good luck

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.