Sign in to follow this  
mirrortraveler

Applying for AOS - Questions about documents

12 posts in this topic

Hello all,

So we are finally starting the process of applying for AOS and we have a few questions about the individual forms that are needed.

A few questions that apply to all the forms, first:

1) Now that we are married (and I have changed my last name with the Social Security Office - I already had a number with them), should I enter my married name on all of the forms even though it doesn't correspond with the name on my I-94?

2) There are weird default settings on the PDFs of the forms when I start typing in them:

- One won't let me change USA to United States (as it is in the example forms) but can we write it into the forms either way or does it have to say one or the other - and be consistent?

- Another insists that I write phone numbers as 0123456789 instead of (012) 345 6789, but only does so in one or two spaces. Does it matter how we write phone numbers at all (and if we are consistent about it)?

- Lastly, do we write the A# as A 123456789 or 123-456-789 (without the A). Or does consistency not matter here, either?

About Form I-485:

In Part 3. C.:

(List your present and past membership in or affiliation with every organization, association, fund, foundation, party, club, society, or similar group in the United States or in other places since your 16th birthday.)

1) I was a short term member of Greenpeace Germany and NDCS (National Deaf Children's Society) UK between 2012 and 2014 (monthly donations). I also put this in my DS-160, however, I do not remember if the DS-160 asked for dates of membership. Does anyone know? I don't want to give false information but the form calls for exact dates and I only know the months and years. Does anyone even check these things?

2) Not sure what to put in "Location and Nature". Does "Location" refer to my location when I was a member, the location of the organization itself, or the location of the organization's nearest local branch? Does "Nature" refer to the nature of the organization or the nature of my membership. For instance, for NDCS UK, can I put "London, UK, Monthly Donation" under "Location and Nature"?

About Form G-325A:

I realized that I made a huge mistake by not keeping a copy of the form the last time I filled it out. I can trace back my (very sporadic) employment over the past years as I have done before, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if this Form G-325A will be compared to my previous one in case of any accidental inconsistencies. Can I get an RFE if I get something wrong about the dates on my work history, for instance?

About Form I-765:

1) I had an EAD card before when I applied for OPT at the end of my F-1 Visa (OPT lasted from January 2010 to January 2011). The card was labeled "not valid for reentry". So, on this form, should I check that I am applying for "Permission to accept employment" or "Renewal of my permission to accept employment"? I don't have the actual EAD card anymore but I have a front copy. Will that be enough? Do I have to attach a separate letter explaining that I don't have the card anymore and therefore can't provide a back copy as required in the instructions?

About form I-693:

Is this the form in the sealed envelope I was given at the embassy? Or do I need to find a civil surgeon and fill out the form along with them?

The consulate doctor in Germany said that I might or might not need a renewed Mumps vaccination, depending on whether it is requested by USCIS over here. Does this mean that I just mail the envelope in with everything and wait to see if they want me to get an additional vaccination or not?

About Form I-864:

1) We are filing this form with a joint sponsor. So this means that my husband won't have to meet the required 125% of the poverty average and that we have to fill out this form twice, once for him and once for our joint-sponsor, right?

2) Do the "current individual income" and the "household income" have to match the annual income on the most recent tax form?

3) Is a W-2 the right tax return form to provide?

4) My husband's annual income before the 2014 tax year was below the minimum tax level (as he didn't make enough money to file for taxes). Can we leave the box "I have filed a tax return for each of the three most recent tax years" unchecked and attach a short, signed letter of explanation?

5) Does writing "N/A" for the other two tax years (2013 and 2012) work?

About Form I-131:

1) I've been told by forum members to file this form just in case. But since I don't have an expected day of travel, yet, what can I put under day of intended departure and length of trip?

2) Under 4a): "Have you ever been issued a reentry permit or Refugee Travel Document?" I was on an F-1 visa between 2006 and 2010 (plus one OPT year between 2010 and 2011). I left to visit my family in Germany once a year. Do those signatures on my I-20 document from my international student counselor qualify as reentry permits that I have to provide/attach copies of? Should I check "Yes" or "No"?

3) Under Part 3, 5: "Where do you want this travel document sent?" Does that apply to the previous question? Is there anything I should check here?

4) Under Part 4, 1a: "Purpose of trip" Do I have to put anything? Should I mention that this is just in case of emergencies?

5) I really don't think I need a multi-entry AP. But it seems that I should get that just in case as well?

6) Is this supposed to be delivered to an overseas office?

Finally, probably a stupid question, but can we mail all of this plus supporting documents, checks/money orders, etc. in one envelope?

Thank you all so much in advance for your replies!

I will try my best to answer some of your questions with my best knowledge at this moment. Hopefully someone corrects me if if i'm wrong.

1. If you used you decided to use your married last name on your ssn card then it sounds logical to stick with that on all your AOS papers...That's what I did. If you already have your ssn card under your married name and if you fill out your AOS documents under your maiden name, then they will issue you the EAD, AP and GC (later) under your maiden name, so what this means? You will have to change the name on your ssn card or the EAD/AP/GC ...Honestly it does not justify all the hassle. Stick with one last name...Married or Maiden in all your immigration documents.

2. In which forms are you having trouble with the typing? I did not have any trouble with any form, when i did AOS almost 2 years ago. Not that I can remember right now.

Try to see these complete forms to give you a better understanding in which format to use for phone numer, etc.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/examples

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

On the i485 form, the format allows you to write your phone as (012) 345-6789, on the i-765 you will have to hand write your phone number at the end of the form. You can use the same format (xxx) xxx-xxxx. On the i131 the format is the same as the i485.

As for the alien #, on i485 you have to write it as xxx-xxx-xxx. No need to include the the A again as it already says "A#" on the title of that field.

About Form G-325A:

Remember always keep a copy of all the forms you send them. Probably it will be compared to the previous one you did, if the worse happens you will get a RFE (in my opinion) if there is too much inconsistency. Hopefully not. Try to find out which dates you used before, maybe you have some work papers somewehere

About form I-693:

If you did your medical papers within 1 year, I think you don't have to do it again here. Send the medical reports they gave you in the sealed envelope. Mine vaccinations, etc were done within one year and they never sent me an RFE for this.

Remember always make copies (or scan) of anything you mail to them! In case they loose your papers.

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-693instr.pdf

About Form I-131:

1. This example may help you. You can write UNKNOWN as date if you don't know when you would be travelling (if). If you have a tentative date for travelling abroad you can put one. Remember AP is an "in case" type thing. Not everyone has a need for it.

As far of length of the trip, in my case I knew I would stay in my home country for about 1 month so i wrote that, just in case I needed to stay visiting my family for that long. What I did not know was when I would be travelling.

http://www.visajourney.com/examples/INS-Form-I-131.pdf

Part 4, 1a: You can write something like this "In case of emergency travel is required during the Adjustment of Status process.". It's not so important. They know the AP is for the case you need to travel abroad while GC is in process. Not big deal.

1b: The country you would be traveling to, in case you need to. If your family is in Germany then write Germany.

5. Part 7: Make sure to tick "more then on trip" box. Just in case you need to do more than one trip.

6. In Part 3 Where do you want this travel document sent?

Most people will select "To the U.S. address shown in Part 1 (2.a through 2.i.) of this form", which is your home address in US and I assume you won't be abroad until you receive your EAD/AP combo card, right? I believe the overseas option is for other type of cases. Not yours.

You must remain in the U.S. until your advance parole is approved and your travel document is mailed to you. USCIS will cancel your advance parole if you leave before it is issued.

Sorry I can not reply to the other questions, I'm in a hurry right now. Hubby needs the computer. :(

Edited by Chris & Isa

You send ALL your forms, documents, check, etc in the same envelope!!! Get a nice folder with internal pockets or similar so everything is organized! That is what I did. And make copies of ALL what you send. Make sure you send the correct fee for the AOS. You can send one check with the total amount of $1070 (filling fee for form i-485 is $985 + biometrics is $85). EAD and AP are waived when you do AOS. Read the instructions of the form.

http://www.uscis.gov/i-485

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-485instr.pdf

Gotta go. :thumbs:

1) Now that we are married (and I have changed my last name with the Social Security Office - I already had a number with them), should I enter my married name on all of the forms even though it doesn't correspond with the name on my I-94? If you changed your name through marriage, then you use your married from now on, and that includes using it on all AOS forms. The name you use will be the name your EAD/AP and green card will come with.

2) There are weird default settings on the PDFs of the forms when I start typing in them:

- One won't let me change USA to United States (as it is in the example forms) but can we write it into the forms either way or does it have to say one or the other - and be consistent?

- Another insists that I write phone numbers as 0123456789 instead of (012) 345 6789, but only does so in one or two spaces. Does it matter how we write phone numbers at all (and if we are consistent about it)?

- Lastly, do we write the A# as A 123456789 or 123-456-789 (without the A). Or does consistency not matter here, either?

If the form wants you to use certain formats, then use those. USA = United States, so that does not matter. Type in the phone numbers how it wants you to, or leave them blank and then hand-write them in how you want them. Again, won't really matter. Listing the A# as 123-456-789 with or without the starting A will not really make a difference either.

About Form I-485:

In Part 3. C.:

(List your present and past membership in or affiliation with every organization, association, fund, foundation, party, club, society, or similar group in the United States or in other places since your 16th birthday.)

1) I was a short term member of Greenpeace Germany and NDCS (National Deaf Children's Society) UK between 2012 and 2014 (monthly donations). I also put this in my DS-160, however, I do not remember if the DS-160 asked for dates of membership. Does anyone know? I don't want to give false information but the form calls for exact dates and I only know the months and years. Does anyone even check these things?

Just put the months and years you were in it, if you cannot recall exact dates.

2) Not sure what to put in "Location and Nature". Does "Location" refer to my location when I was a member, the location of the organization itself, or the location of the organization's nearest local branch? Does "Nature" refer to the nature of the organization or the nature of my membership. For instance, for NDCS UK, can I put "London, UK, Monthly Donation" under "Location and Nature"?

You can list the full name for each organization you were a member of and then list the location of the organization and its nature, as in what the organization is all about- its purpose/function.

About Form G-325A:

I realized that I made a huge mistake by not keeping a copy of the form the last time I filled it out. I can trace back my (very sporadic) employment over the past years as I have done before, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if this Form G-325A will be compared to my previous one in case of any accidental inconsistencies. Can I get an RFE if I get something wrong about the dates on my work history, for instance?

I am not sure if they will compare the two. Just guess as best as you can. I doubt you will get an RFE for that.

About Form I-765:

1) I had an EAD card before when I applied for OPT at the end of my F-1 Visa (OPT lasted from January 2010 to January 2011). The card was labeled "not valid for reentry". So, on this form, should I check that I am applying for "Permission to accept employment" or "Renewal of my permission to accept employment"? I don't have the actual EAD card anymore but I have a front copy. Will that be enough? Do I have to attach a separate letter explaining that I don't have the card anymore and therefore can't provide a back copy as required in the instructions?

You are applying for an entirely new EAD under an entirely new category of (c )(9 )-adjustment applicant. Check "Permission to accept employment".

About form I-693:

Is this the form in the sealed envelope I was given at the embassy? Or do I need to find a civil surgeon and fill out the form along with them?

The consulate doctor in Germany said that I might or might not need a renewed Mumps vaccination, depending on whether it is requested by USCIS over here. Does this mean that I just mail the envelope in with everything and wait to see if they want me to get an additional vaccination or not?

See this post for details about the vaccination/I-693 requirements > http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/428381-i-693-report-of-medical-examination-and-vaccination-report/?p=6206232

About Form I-864:

1) We are filing this form with a joint sponsor. So this means that my husband won't have to meet the required 125% of the poverty average and that we have to fill out this form twice, once for him and once for our joint-sponsor, right?

Yes, they each have to fill out their own I-864 and provide their own supporting documentation.

2) Do the "current individual income" and the "household income" have to match the annual income on the most recent tax form?

No, and they typically do not.

3) Is a W-2 the right tax return form to provide?

No. You need a complete copy of your most recent return with all forms, attachments, schedules, W-2s and/or 1099s or an IRS tax return transcript.

4) My husband's annual income before the 2014 tax year was below the minimum tax level (as he didn't make enough money to file for taxes). Can we leave the box "I have filed a tax return for each of the three most recent tax years" unchecked and attach a short, signed letter of explanation?

That is exactly what you need to do. It is a requirement to provide a statement as to why you were not legally required to file for any of the last 3 years you did not.

5) Does writing "N/A" for the other two tax years (2013 and 2012) work?

Sure, but even better to write in the space above #13a-c, "Did not file-See attachment"

About Form I-131:

1) I've been told by forum members to file this form just in case. But since I don't have an expected day of travel, yet, what can I put under day of intended departure and length of trip?

Leave those blank and hand-write Unknown after printing out the form.

2) Under 4a): "Have you ever been issued a reentry permit or Refugee Travel Document?" I was on an F-1 visa between 2006 and 2010 (plus one OPT year between 2010 and 2011). I left to visit my family in Germany once a year. Do those signatures on my I-20 document from my international student counselor qualify as reentry permits that I have to provide/attach copies of? Should I check "Yes" or "No"?

No. You would have had to apply for a re-entry permit. Entering on your F-1 visa is not the same thing.

3) Under Part 3, 5: "Where do you want this travel document sent?" Does that apply to the previous question? Is there anything I should check here? This question is not answered. Follow the instructions at the bottom of page 2 and skip from there to part 7 > "If you are applying for a non-DACA related Advance Parole Document, skip to Part 7"

4) Under Part 4, 1a: "Purpose of trip" Do I have to put anything? Should I mention that this is just in case of emergencies?

Again, this question is not answered. No reason is needed when applying as an adjustment applicant. You skip this part of the form.

5) I really don't think I need a multi-entry AP. But it seems that I should get that just in case as well?

They come as multi-entry anyway, but go ahead and check more than one trip.

6) Is this supposed to be delivered to an overseas office?

No. You will receive an EAD/AP combo card.> http://www.uscis.gov/news/questions-and-answers/uscis-issue-employment-authorization-and-advance-parole-card-adjustment-status-applicants-questions-and-answers

Finally, probably a stupid question, but can we mail all of this plus supporting documents, checks/money orders, etc. in one envelope?

Yes, that is how you do it. Separate each form and its supporting documentation with large paperclips and put them all in one envelope for mailing.

Edited by KayDeeCee

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

My husband has no money in savings and no money invested anywhere. He says that a W-2 is all he has. He has only made money from his job this past year. I don't understand how we would need other forms and what those forms even mean. As I said, a W2 is all he has. We have a joint sponsor who is making a lot and I'm sure she can provide all these other forms. Isn't that enough?

My husband has no money in savings and no money invested anywhere. He says that a W-2 is all he has. He has only made money from his job this past year. I don't understand how we would need other forms and what those forms even mean. As I said, a W2 is all he has. We have a joint sponsor who is making a lot and I'm sure she can provide all these other forms. Isn't that enough?

If he has not filed any of the last 3 years, then he provides no tax forms at all. He provides a statement explaining why he was not legally required to file for those years he did not, such as his income being below the IRS filing threshold. Yes, the joint sponsor will provide their most recent tax transcript or a complete copy of their return.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

If he has filed taxes for 2014, then you need to go online and get the complete IRS tax return transcript for 2014. The W2 by itself is not good enough.

You can go here to get it: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

Edited by Zedayn

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;

Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  RFE:  07/09/2015;

Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

05/23/2017 -- Mailed ROC application

05/24/2017 -- NOA1 date

05/30/2017 -- NOA1 received in the mail

06/05/2017 -- Biometrics letter received

06/13/2017 -- Biometrics appointment

09/05/2018 -- Approved without interview!

09/13/2018 -- 10 Yr Green card Received

No, he HAS filed taxes this past year (2014). None before that. For 2014, he only got a W-2. He makes little over minimum wage.

If he filed taxes, then he has at least a 1040 form from filing. There may have been other forms involved in filing as well. He would need a complete copy of that filing. If he e-filed, then he needs a copy of all the forms used and his W-2, which would be everything he would have needed to provide if he had mailed in his taxes to the IRS. Otherwise, he needs to get a tax return transcript from the IRS. You can get it online when it is available through the link posted above, or he can walk into a local IRS office and get it in person.

As I said, the W-2 is not a tax return. That is not all you need to provide. It states this in the I-864 instructions >

You must provide either an IRS transcript or a photocopy from your own records of your Federal individual income

tax return for the most recent tax year. If you believe additional returns may help you to establish your ability to

maintain sufficient income, you may submit transcripts or photocopies of your Federal individual income tax returns

for the three most recent years.

You are not required to have the IRS certify the transcript or photocopy unless specifically instructed to do so by a

Government official; a plain transcript or photocopy is acceptable. Telefile tax records are not acceptable proof of

filing.

Do not submit copies of your State income tax returns. Do not submit any tax returns that you filed with any foreign

government unless you claim that you were not required to file a Federal tax return with the United States government

and you wish to rely on the foreign return solely to establish the amount of your income that is not subject to tax in the

United States.

If you provide a photocopy of your tax return(s), you must include a copy of each and every Form W-2 and Form 1099

that relates to your return(s). Do not include copies of these Forms if you provide an IRS transcript of your return(s)

rather than a photocopy.

Online, at irs.gov, specifically on this page (http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Tax-Return-Transcript-Types-and-Available-Delivery-Methods) it says:

Note: a transcript isn’t a photocopy of your return. If you need a copy of your original return, complete and mail Form 4506, along with the applicable fee.

So does that mean that we can or can't get a Tax Return Transcript online or that we have to get a copy of his original tax return by mailing out Form 4506 with the $50 fee requested?

Will USCIS accept either or just a copy of the original Tax Return?

Edited by mirrortraveler

A tax return transcript is acceptable if you don't have the actual tax returns. The embassy will either want to see a complete tax return OR a tax return transcript.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;

Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  RFE:  07/09/2015;

Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

05/23/2017 -- Mailed ROC application

05/24/2017 -- NOA1 date

05/30/2017 -- NOA1 received in the mail

06/05/2017 -- Biometrics letter received

06/13/2017 -- Biometrics appointment

09/05/2018 -- Approved without interview!

09/13/2018 -- 10 Yr Green card Received

Online, at irs.gov, specifically on this page (http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Tax-Return-Transcript-Types-and-Available-Delivery-Methods) it says:

Note: a transcript isn’t a photocopy of your return. If you need a copy of your original return, complete and mail Form 4506, along with the applicable fee.

So does that mean that we can or can't get a Tax Return Transcript online or that we have to get a copy of his original tax return by mailing out Form 4506 with the $50 fee requested?

Will USCIS accept either or just a copy of the original Tax Return?

As the instructions stated, you need the IRS tax transcript, which you can download and print out online for free, or a complete copy of your entire return will all forms.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.