grad_student

US Citizenship - How many years after getting LPR

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I will be immigrating to US on IR-1 visa, sponsored by my USC wife. I understand I would get LPR or Green Card upon entering USA. I am wondering how may years would it take for me before I could apply for US Citizenship. I understand this question has already been answered before. So excuse me asking it once again.

Thanks

Come join the Scan Date to Case Complete thread. To be added to the Scan Date to Case Complete spreadsheet, simply post your Scan Date and/or Case Complete date in the thread. You will be added to the spreadsheet which is available now.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/592291-scan-date-to-case-complete-spreadsheet/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bLgqeV5tr9zHOSY5IqtYn3RURVO3C0iMBGVwUviVruk/edit#gid=0

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

3 years, assuming you are still married to your USC wife then.

You can apply 90 days before the 3 year anniversary of becoming a greencard holder.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I will be immigrating to US on IR-1 visa, sponsored by my USC wife. I understand I would get LPR or Green Card upon entering USA. I am wondering how may years would it take for me before I could apply for US Citizenship. I understand this question has already been answered before. So excuse me asking it once again.

Thanks

Once you get the green card after entering, see the date on green card. Add 3 years to that date and subtract 90 days from that date. From this date onwards upto 90 days you can apply for citizenship. I know its a lot of math :P

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate it

Come join the Scan Date to Case Complete thread. To be added to the Scan Date to Case Complete spreadsheet, simply post your Scan Date and/or Case Complete date in the thread. You will be added to the spreadsheet which is available now.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/592291-scan-date-to-case-complete-spreadsheet/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bLgqeV5tr9zHOSY5IqtYn3RURVO3C0iMBGVwUviVruk/edit#gid=0

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks

Three years.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Once you get the green card after entering, see the date on green card. Add 3 years to that date and subtract 90 days from that date. From this date onwards upto 90 days you can apply for citizenship. I know its a lot of math :P

I'm not sure what you mean by "from this date onwards up to 90 days".

You can apply 90 days before your green card anniversary or any time after that; even if you apply 30 years after you get your green card.

Maybe that's what you said, but I may have misunderstood.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Maybe that's what you said, but I may have misunderstood.

As per my knowledge, he asked about citizenship while being married and after entering US on green card.

That's the time frame where he can apply at the earliest based on marriage. Otherwise, you can apply anytime in your life for citizenship.

No problem, misunderstandings happen ;)

Beside the good answers above. Keep in mind if you enter the USA before having 2 years of marriage, you will be granted CR1- 2 years GC, which you need to lift the condition before the conditional GC expires.

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

As per my knowledge, he asked about citizenship while being married and after entering US on green card.

That's the time frame where he can apply at the earliest based on marriage. Otherwise, you can apply anytime in your life for citizenship.

No problem, misunderstandings happen ;)

We are probably saying the same thing. :-)

I was pointing out that you can apply anytime after that based on marriage.

For example, if you've been a permanent resident for 4.5 years, you still don't qualify to apply based on the 5 year residency rule, but you can apply based on marriage.

You can also apply based on marriage even if you've had a green card for 30 years. It's easier to use the 5 year rule in that situation, but there are some rare cases where you may still want to apply based on marriage. I just wanted to point out that there isn't a "window" for marriage based applications.

But you gave the OP the important part which is the EARLIEST he can apply. :-)

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.