newbud

N400 biometric appt. Question

6 posts in this topic

1. Can we go for walk-in bio for N400?

I remember I did walk-in last year for I751 and it was accepted at my local office. I still have the same local office. Did anyone try it?

2. Did anyone ever got an RFE for N400 for missing documents? I did not submit a tax return for 2014 (I am in the process of filling it). Do they ask for missing documents in interview or send RFE for missing items( because RFE will definitely delay the process)?

Edited by newbud

They don't really RFE for N-400, they send yellow letter to tell you to bring documents to interview.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

1. Can we go for walk-in bio for N400?

I remember I did walk-in last year for I751 and it was accepted at my local office. I still have the same local office. Did anyone try it?

2. Did anyone ever got an RFE for N400 for missing documents? I did not submit a tax return for 2014 (I am in the process of filling it). Do they ask for missing documents in interview or send RFE for missing items( because RFE will definitely delay the process)?

They don't really RFE for N-400, they send yellow letter to tell you to bring documents to interview.

Take any missing documents with you to the interview. They do send RFEs for N400 applications, but usually only after the interview if there are still missing documents. Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

For walk-in you will need your biometrics letter. I did a walk in one day before my appointment last month and had no issue. I've read of others here doing the same and haven't yet found a person who was turned away. But, as mentioned, I think the biometrics letter is non-negotiable, so until you have that you cannot walk-in. To be honest, I suspect that if you do walk in before your date you may get things moved along quicker. I did it to save another 90 min drive each way, so had a legitimate reason other than trying to speed things up.

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

For walk-in you will need your biometrics letter. I did a walk in one day before my appointment last month and had no issue. I've read of others here doing the same and haven't yet found a person who was turned away. But, as mentioned, I think the biometrics letter is non-negotiable, so until you have that you cannot walk-in. To be honest, I suspect that if you do walk in before your date you may get things moved along quicker. I did it to save another 90 min drive each way, so had a legitimate reason other than trying to speed things up.

Actually there are quite a few people who were turned away when they tried to do but early biometrics walk-ins... But they definitely are the minority If I would guess, I'd say maybe 15%-20% of those who try get turned away Some offices don't care at all and would let you in. Some (If not most) will ask for a reason and ask to see some proof of why you can't make it on your schedule today (for instance a travel itinerary). And some will just let you walk in.

It probably does speed things up a little But I think your reason is much more important If you're already near the location and do you live far away, it's definitely worth trying.

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Thanks all, I did it last year and I was able to. It's the same office this year too and it's at the walking distance from my home :content: so I will try this year. If there is no rule for n400 as such can't try walk-in then, I am sure they will accept.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.