jaske78

What do they actually do once they open an application packet?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Serbia
Timeline

Received NOA1 dated 15 September. And now, we wait. In early January, they were within a week of processing our application! And then they pushed it back because of the overflow from Nebraska, and it might be seen in April. Might be.

So my question is, what actually happens when the people at Homeland Security in Texas review it for NOA2? How long does it take to make that decision? Do they open it, sort through the applications, think, "Well, he's got everything we need," and then move on in a half an hour? Does it take a week to comb through the files and run background checks for terrorists? Does the fact that I didn't include my place of work or a pay stub or evidence of my income a problem at this stage? I read and reread the checklist, and nowhere was it mentioned, so I did not include it.

Does anyone actually know what the process is on their side?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just a guess on K1's

They are sent to Dallas Lockbox

Sent to either Texas or California Service Center

Reviewed and then after NOA2 approval they are sent to NVC and then forwarded to US embassy where you do you interview.

Received NOA1 dated 15 September. And now, we wait. In early January, they were within a week of processing our application! And then they pushed it back because of the overflow from Nebraska, and it might be seen in April. Might be.

So my question is, what actually happens when the people at Homeland Security in Texas review it for NOA2? How long does it take to make that decision? Do they open it, sort through the applications, think, "Well, he's got everything we need," and then move on in a half an hour? Does it take a week to comb through the files and run background checks for terrorists? Does the fact that I didn't include my place of work or a pay stub or evidence of my income a problem at this stage? I read and reread the checklist, and nowhere was it mentioned, so I did not include it.

First of all, no one here knows the actual process unless they have information from a USCIS employee or works there themselves.

Nebraska wouldn't really have an effect on the K1 as it does not process them and therefore wouldn't have been k1 applications that were transferred.

Apparently it ranges from 15-30 minutes to process an application, in that time they decide on approval/denial or if more information is needed.

Not sure why you're asking about terrorists....

Sponsor information from the petitioner is needed at the interview, only the affidavit of support is sent originally with the application.

I advise you to not drive yourself crazy over the wait, you've made it this far.

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

ps. Check the pinned thread, it has some information on the process.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/538432-process-for-the-mailing-and-receiving-of-i-129f-petitions/

It gives this Link, explaining some of it.

http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/directorates-and-program-offices/lockbox-intake/lockbox-intake-processing-questions-and-answers

Edited by Cody and Daisy

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Not sure where you got this information that in January they were a week away from processing your petition but then pushed it back 3 months because of petitions from Nebraska? Mind sharing your source?

As I recall in January TSC was processing June and maybe early July petitions?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

So my question is, what actually happens when the people at Homeland Security in Texas review it for NOA2? How long does it take to make that decision? Do they open it, sort through the applications, think, "Well, he's got everything we need," and then move on in a half an hour?

Essentially yes. They also have the results of the various electronic background checks they sent for you and your fiance.

Does it take a week to comb through the files and run background checks for terrorists? Does the fact that I didn't include my place of work or a pay stub or evidence of my income a problem at this stage?

Only needed for the interview stage.

I read and reread the checklist, and nowhere was it mentioned, so I did not include it.

Read the Sticky Notes

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

Re: terrorists: that's what Homeland Security does.Among other things, they check watchlists, backgrounds, etc.

Re: the wait: On January 5 or so, according to VJ (here), they were starting on September. I remember checking here every day. I was so very excited. Any day now, they would get to me... and then the next day, BOOM. June. I was horrified. I wanted to know why, but I was unsure whom to ask without looking stupid. Eventually someone mentioned Nebraska and I thought, oh. Since then, my expected dates have been steadily pushed back, from January 15, to now April 6. (WHAT DID HAPPEN, ANYWAY?)

Re: the packet processing. Thank you. Amazing that such a brief process can take so long to get to.

Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

This is what happens for the adjudication of petitions at the service centers. You can read the whole thing from the AFM(Adjudicator's Field Manual) Chapter 10.3 >

http://www.uscis.gov/iframe/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1.html

The following steps generally apply to all cases processed by the adjudications unit within a service center or local office (including all naturalization and nationality applications). Depending upon local procedures, these steps may be handled by a single adjudicator, or they may be broken down according to task with various tasks being handled by different employees.

(a) Case Review .
(b) IBIS Checks .
(c ) Other Records .
(d) Adjudication .

The adjudicator must carefully examine the application form and all supporting documents. The examination should address (but not be limited to) the following questions:

· Is the form complete and signed?

· Is the applicant or petitioner represented by counsel with Form G-28 on file?

· Are there any responses which require further explanation or indicate there may be a need for additional documentation?

· Are all necessary supporting documents present and translated into English, if necessary?

· Is the beneficiary statutorily eligible for the benefit sought?

· Are all supporting documents authentic and unaltered?

· Is there any reason to suspect fraud?

· Are there any legal precedent decisions or court orders relevant to the case?

· Are there any ancillary applications which should be filed by the applicant (e.g. a waiver application, adjustment application, advance parole request, or employment authorization request)?
(e) The Burden of Proof .
(f ) Inspection of Evidence .
(g) Decision: Approval .
(h) Decision: Denial .

And so on....

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Re: terrorists: that's what Homeland Security does.Among other things, they check watchlists, backgrounds, etc.

Re: the wait: On January 5 or so, according to VJ (here), they were starting on September. I remember checking here every day. I was so very excited. Any day now, they would get to me... and then the next day, BOOM. June. I was horrified. I wanted to know why, but I was unsure whom to ask without looking stupid. Eventually someone mentioned Nebraska and I thought, oh. Since then, my expected dates have been steadily pushed back, from January 15, to now April 6. (WHAT DID HAPPEN, ANYWAY?)

Re: the packet processing. Thank you. Amazing that such a brief process can take so long to get to.

Thank you

I'm not sure where you got that information from on VJ but it was absolutely incorrect. They never processed any September applications at the TEXAS service center in January. In the CALIFORNIA service center? Sure. But that's because of the dramatically different processing times everyone has been talking about. Nebraska does not handle K1s anymore. To date there has only been 4 random September cases completed for reasons we haven't any idea. Right now they are working on August cases.

What do they do at a service center? It supposedly only takes 15 minutes to look at your case which we all probably spent days and weeks on to put together. The rest of the time who knows. Probably numerous cups of coffee, youtube videos, the Sims, and plenty of bathroom breaks.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not sure where you got that information from on VJ but it was absolutely incorrect. They never processed any September applications at the TEXAS service center in January. In the CALIFORNIA service center? Sure. But that's because of the dramatically different processing times everyone has been talking about. Nebraska does not handle K1s anymore. To date there has only been 4 random September cases completed for reasons we haven't any idea. Right now they are working on August cases.

What do they do at a service center? It supposedly only takes 15 minutes to look at your case which we all probably spent days and weeks on to put together. The rest of the time who knows. Probably numerous cups of coffee, youtube videos, the Sims, and plenty of bathroom breaks.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Met Canadian husband online, July 2001!

Met for the first time in person in US, November 2001

Engaged May 2002

Married August 2003 in Canada

Lived in Canada until July 2007

Husband was granted a TN-1 at the Detroit border, July 2007, renewable yearly.

Lived in Fort Wayne, IN on TN-1 since then

Sent full packet including medical 16 January 2015

Received at Chicago lock box 20 January 2015

Both checks cleared 23 January 2015

NOA1 for forms received 30 January 2015

All at the National Benefits Center (NBC)

I-765

Biometrics notice sent 13 February 2015

Biometrics appointment 6 March 2015

Approved and card mailed 6 April 2015

Card received 11 April 2015

I-485

Biometrics request I-797 came in for I-485, 6 February 2015

Biometrics appointment in Indianapolis, IN 18 February 2015

Email received giving date of interview for I-485, 9 March 2015

Interview scheduled for 7 April 2015

APPROVED and green card received, 14 April 2015

I-131

Approval for Advanced Parole received 30 March 2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread moved from K-1 Process forum to the USCIS Service Centers forum -- topic involves internal USCIS procedures. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

I absolutely assure you that they were starting on September in Texas in January. I checked every day and I know well enough the difference between a C and a T (CSC and TSC being the letter in question). Perhaps there had been a reporting error there - but still, on my internal timeline, it estimate that my case would be adjudicated in the middle of January based on what they had in. Now it is early April. Not that I mind, but something clearly happened in early January, either a correction here at VJ that revealed that some things had been misfiled or the receipt of some backlog from someone else.

RE: the moving of my thread. This is why I don't like to ask questions. I never know where to put them properly.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

They definitely were not starting September in January. What you likely saw was TSC processing Philippines expedites in January.

I don't doubt that your timeline estimate said January at the time but it was skewed based on the Philipines expedites and people who incorrectly put their service center as TSC when they were actually at CSC. My timeline did the same thing but it wasn't because TSC was actually processing that quickly. It was because the expedites bumped up the estimated date when people who filed near you but were expedited were being processed. Once they moved past them, the timeline estimate moves back to reflect what is closer to actual processing time.

Edited by April+Daniel

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.