xswtnsour13x

Is it possible to remove a sponsor when filing for affidavit of support?

2 posts in this topic

I originally had myself, my biological father and a relative's husband as sponsors for my husband. I received a check list in the mail and even called the NVC and I was told that all three of us were missing something. My relative's husband was missing the photocopy of his green card, I was missing my tax return (even though I submitted the letter saying that I have not worked) and my biological father was missing his tax return (even though I sent those in) and proof of residence. I want to remove my biological father as a sponsor because his green card is expired and we wouldn't be able to send in a photo copy of it. Also, my relative's husband's income is more than enough for support. I called the NVC and explained this to them, and a representative said that I should just email the NVC telling them that I do not want to use my biological father's information anymore. Is that accurate? Why would I need to email them if I was just talking to them? Are the people answering the emails different from the people answering the phone calls?

I originally had myself, my biological father and a relative's husband as sponsors for my husband. I received a check list in the mail and even called the NVC and I was told that all three of us were missing something. My relative's husband was missing the photocopy of his green card, I was missing my tax return (even though I submitted the letter saying that I have not worked) and my biological father was missing his tax return (even though I sent those in) and proof of residence. I want to remove my biological father as a sponsor because his green card is expired and we wouldn't be able to send in a photo copy of it. Also, my relative's husband's income is more than enough for support. I called the NVC and explained this to them, and a representative said that I should just email the NVC telling them that I do not want to use my biological father's information anymore. Is that accurate? Why would I need to email them if I was just talking to them? Are the people answering the emails different from the people answering the phone calls?

E-mailing, calling, and sending in the information in response to the RFE will involve at least three different people. The most important person in all of this is the one working on you case. The one who will see the information you submit in respnse to the RFE. Even though your father's GC is expired he is still a LPR--assuming this is a 10 year GC. I would recommend sending in a tax transcript from the IRS as the USCIS wants a COMPETE tax return and you may have missed a W-2 or they wanted a 1099 or some schedule that is missing--a tax transcript is a COMPLETE tax return by itself without the need of supporting documentation. It would appear that you need to prove that you made less than the threshold required for filing taxes--this is one reason to file taxes whether you had earned income or not.

If you want to remove you father, send in a letter explaining this with the RFE and do not bother calling or e-mailing anybody. The person looking at your case wants the information requested and if you do not comply with that request, it will grounds for a denial. So that is the person who needs to understand why you are not submitting a copy of your father's GC.

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.