metsphan23

please help, question with visa- cancelled petition?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My mother in law got a letter saying that she was previously notified that as of january 11th, 2014, her registration for an immigrant visa was cancelled and any petition approved on her behalf was also cancelled.

it also says since she failed to do so, the record of her registration and any petition approved on her behalf and all supporting documents have been destroyed,

sincerely, director, national visa center

my question is: this was for her citizenship? or is actually her Visa to travel to the US? I know that her brother was petitioned her. We are so confuse. Who can we contact in order to know so she can travel to the US without any problem. There was no number to contact on the letter.

Thank you!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Sounds like a petition was filed for her and at some point the follow-through did not happen. After one year of inactivity the petition is automatically denied. It was a petition for an immigrant visa, it has nothing to do with citizenship. She can try contacting USCIS but I doubt anything will be done since she allowed the petition to die.

As for her coming to the US she can apply for a tourist visa.

Edited by belinda63

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

An immigrant visa is to come and live in the USA, like her brother filed for her. US citizenship would not happen for a long time, she would need to live in the USA as a greencard holder for 5 years first. When did your mother's brother file for her? When did you last hear from NVC other than this most recent letter?

Your post is confusing; people mention the tourist visa because you posted in the tourist visa forum; I will move this.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Thank you for moving. We are not sure since when. He passed away a few months ago. We just got that letter. Don't have any previous one. So her tourist visa wont be affected by this letter? Because my mother in law wants to visit my wife and we want to make sure that everything is good to avoid to lose the airline ticket.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

We can;t guarantee that. The fact that there is no longer a petition may worry the immigration officers, because it means she has no legal way to lie in the USA, and they will think she will overstay her tourist visa. But the only way to find out is travel and hope for the best at the airport.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

We can;t guarantee that. The fact that there is no longer a petition may worry the immigration officers, because it means she has no legal way to lie in the USA, and they will think she will overstay her tourist visa. But the only way to find out is travel and hope for the best at the airport.

but wouldnt if she showed proof of a round trip ticket be ok? my mother in law and family would only be staying about a week. hope for the best is a risky chance, to say the least...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thank you for moving. We are not sure since when. He passed away a few months ago. We just got that letter. Don't have any previous one. So her tourist visa wont be affected by this letter? Because my mother in law wants to visit my wife and we want to make sure that everything is good to avoid to lose the airline ticket.

Maybe someone more familiar with family-based applications can answer this, but wouldn't the application be denied if the petitioner has passed away? Family-based immigrant visas are issued to reunite people with their family members living in the United States. If the petitioner has passed away, then in the eyes of the government, there is no longer reason for the applicant to be granted a visa.

The original poster, if you and your wife are living in the United States, then once your wife becomes a citizen (assuming that she will some day apply for citizenship) then she can sponsor her mother for an immigrant visa.

As for her tourist visa, I don't think this letter has anything to do with that If she has a valid tourist visa on her passport she should be able to travel to the US.

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

but wouldnt if she showed proof of a round trip ticket be ok? my mother in law and family would only be staying about a week. hope for the best is a risky chance, to say the least...

Lots of people who have overstayed their visas had return tickets. Return tickets are not not proof of the intention to leave.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.