tealeaf

K1 visa and other ways to marry a foreign fiance

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everybody,

I have a couple of questions regarding marrying a foreign fiancé and her coming to live in the US. I live in the US and I have a girlfriend who lives in Vietnam and we have finally decided to marry. I filled out the I129F and G325a forms and applied for her to get the K1 fiance visa. I should be getting an answer this or next month after waiting forever. What happens if the petition is not approved? Would they request for extra information if they decide it is missing something and it can be added? If they completely decline the petition do I have to start all over again with a brand new one and wait the 6 or more months again?

What would be the waiting time for my fiancé to come to live in the US if we got married in Vietnam? Also is it possible for her to come here on a tourist visa and marry in the US and then apply for documents that would grant her residency in the US? Would the 2 scenarios above be faster or more secure than going through the K1 visa?

Can you give me any tips on how to increase the possibility of getting the K1 visa?

The K1 visa just seems like a big struggle and if it takes them 6+ months to review the information, that only tells me they don’t care at all about the people who are trying to marry somebody outside the US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If they need something more from you, then you will receive an RFE(request for evidence), and you can supply what is needed.

Why are you worried the petition will be denied? If you provided everything required, both are free to marry, and you showed proof of meeting in person within the 2 years before filing, then you should be approved. If your petition is being processed at the TSC, then you are waiting longer, as they are quite backlogged. Still less wait than a spousal visa though. They are also backlogged and waiting about a year.

Waiting is never fun, but it is part of the immigration process, at every step of the way. It sounds like your petition will be approved soon, so you are almost at the end of the road for waiting while separated. If you ditch that now and marry in Vietnam, then you will begin again by filing a new I-130 petition to start the process for a spousal visa.

No, you cannot enter the US with a tourist visa with the intent to marry, stay and adjust status. Having intent to use a tourist visa as a means to immigrate is fraudulent.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

If they need something more from you, then you will receive an RFE(request for evidence), and you can supply what is needed.

Why are you worried the petition will be denied? If you provided everything required, both are free to marry, and you showed proof of meeting in person within the 2 years before filing, then you should be approved. If your petition is being processed at the TSC, then you are waiting longer, as they are quite backlogged. Still less wait than a spousal visa though. They are also backlogged and waiting about a year.

Waiting is never fun, but it is part of the immigration process, at every step of the way. It sounds like your petition will be approved soon, so you are almost at the end of the road for waiting while separated. If you ditch that now and marry in Vietnam, then you will begin again by filing a new I-130 petition to start the process for a spousal visa.

No, you cannot enter the US with a tourist visa with the intent to marry, stay and adjust status. Having intent to use a tourist visa as a means to immigrate is fraudulent.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello everybody,

I have a couple of questions regarding marrying a foreign fiancé and her coming to live in the US. I live in the US and I have a girlfriend who lives in Vietnam and we have finally decided to marry. I filled out the I129F and G325a forms and applied for her to get the K1 fiance visa. I should be getting an answer this or next month after waiting forever. What happens if the petition is not approved? Would they request for extra information if they decide it is missing something and it can be added?

If they need anything additional, they will ask for it.

What would be the waiting time for my fiancé to come to live in the US if we got married in Vietnam?

CR-1s last I knew took from a year to a year and a half.

Also is it possible for her to come here on a tourist visa and marry in the US and then apply for documents that would grant her residency in the US?

100% fraudulent.

Can you give me any tips on how to increase the possibility of getting the K1 visa?

By having a legitimate relationship.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.