mr.lollo14

Which one is the right Visa for me?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi guys,
I'm an Italian guy living in Dublin, I'm graduated last September as a graphic designer,
I found, being helped with my aunt in New Jersey, a little studio with few people inside where they accept me for a period of 2-3 months for earn experience in my field, it's an unpaid experience, and the purpose is only to put it into my resume and have a good experience in another country outside Europe.
So, I would do only because it's a good thing to have on my cv..

I'm trying these days to understand which on is the right visa..I searched the J-1, H-3 and B-2..but for the "J" the studio is not on the list of the sponsors, for the H3, the trainee must be in a subject where you haven't had in you native country..

Can someone so gentle help me?

I'm sorry for my english and every eventual mistake :)
Have a nice day!

Hi guys,

I'm an Italian guy living in Dublin, I'm graduated last September as a graphic designer,

I found, being helped with my aunt in New Jersey, a little studio with few people inside where they accept me for a period of 2-3 months for earn experience in my field, it's an unpaid experience, and the purpose is only to put it into my resume and have a good experience in another country outside Europe.

So, I would do only because it's a good thing to have on my cv..

I'm trying these days to understand which on is the right visa..I searched the J-1, H-3 and B-2..but for the "J" the studio is not on the list of the sponsors, for the H3, the trainee must be in a subject where you haven't had in you native country..

Can someone so gentle help me?

I'm sorry for my english and every eventual mistake :)

Have a nice day!

If it's 3 months or less, why not just use ESTA or B1/B2 if necessary?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would ask your prospective employer. It is up to them to sort it out.

If it's 3 months or less, why not just use ESTA or B1/B2 if necessary?

Because it is outside their remit?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I would ask your prospective employer. It is up to them to sort it out.

Because it is outside their remit?

I thought they could be used for an unpaid internship or business activity?

Filed: Timeline

Yes, with an Esta I could only travel,
with a J-1 my little studio is not on the official list of sponsors
with the b-2, you can only do few things, and not work, but come for business purpose
with the h-3, the trainee must be in a subject where you haven't had in you native country..
Please any idea? :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Have you asked the studio? Usually the employer sorts out the type of visa

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

The ESTA carries the same stipulation for unpaid training as the B1. Does this not qualify as unpaid training?

Travel Purpose Must be Permitted on a Visitor (B) Visa
Business:

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows citizens of participating countries* to travel to the United States without obtaining a visa, for stays of 90 days or less for tourism or business. Transiting or traveling through the United States to Canada or Mexico is generally permitted for VWP travelers. The following are examples of activities permitted while in the United States on the VWP.

• consult with business associates
  • attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference
  • attend short-term training (you may not be paid by any source in the United States with the exception of expenses incidental to your stay)
  • negotiate a contract

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visa-waiver-program.html

Edited by Teddy B

Timeline

The ESTA carries the same stipulation for unpaid training as the B1. Does this not qualify as unpaid training?

An example of that was that is he was employed in Italy and was sent to their US operation for training, anyway he wants to work for free.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

An example of that was that is he was employed in Italy and was sent to their US operation for training, anyway he wants to work for free.

Is there wording that stipulates he must be employed with a company in Italy and sent to the US by that company? What I could find simply states that he may: attend short-term training (you may not be paid by any source in the United States with the exception of expenses incidental to your stay)

Timeline

Is there wording that stipulates he must be employed with a company in Italy and sent to the US by that company? What I could find simply states that he may: attend short-term training (you may not be paid by any source in the United States with the exception of expenses incidental to your stay)

I just have an example of a common training situation, probably something for another thread so as not to confuse this one. Edited by Boiler

Timeline

I hope, this is the third week that I spent sending email to my aunt to understand which Visa is the right one to do it :)

Thanks for the help guys!

It is your Employers immigration lawyer you need to talk to.

I just have an example of a common trading situation, probably something for another thread so as not to confuse this one.

I'm thinking that as long as this "unpaid experience" (as the op put it) does not take a paying job away from an American, that it would be the same as "unpaid short term training" and would fall under the stipulations of an ESTA or B1. I guess only the op knows if this is the case or not.

Timeline

I guess if he was just observing that would be another matter, perhaps I am being cynical but internship usually implies free labour. Especially in this area.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.