Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello Lovely People,

I'm getting married and I would like some help with the paperwork/visa process

Details:

We're both in the US right now, in Boulder, CO

Me - male, 22 years old , US Citizen

is marrying

partner - female, 29 years old, Colombian, currently in US with B1 tourist visa which technically expires in 3 months but she's already been in the US for 2 months

We both have a clean history with no crimes.

We've both never gotten married before.

I was in university up till recently, and now I work a job a little over minimum wage and living paycheck by paycheck.

She was a professional athlete (on the national team for her sport).

On her tourist visa application she put me as her US contact.

We have plenty of pictures together and videos dating back up to 9 months ago when we first met in colombia.

We have some friends willing to be vouch for our relationship.

I've sent money to her friend in colombia (because she had problems with her bank before) roughly 4 months ago, and I've sent money to her mom in colombia via western union. And we have the receipts.

I am happy to open up a checking account jointly with her, or even add her as a signer on my account. (I have CHarles Schwab and Chase)

We want to get married as soon as possible, probably sometime this/next week.

We've both never gotten married before so I would love some help with the marriage process as well as the visa :)

For example:

What visa would she even apply for?

Where would I go file? (Boulder the city I live in, or go to Denver?)

What do we need for marriage to be legal? (I did some research that Colorado doesn't need officiate/witnesses, but would that be a good idea?)

Would she be able to stay in the US or would she have to go back to Colombia as we do the paperwork ?:(

I'm living paycheck to paycheck so she wants to help me out by working, how long would it take for her to be able to work?

I'm really in a pickle and stressed, help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Toto15

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

:guides: , easily accessible at the top of the forum page. In particular, the IR1/CR1 Petition and Adjustment Guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

We got our marriage license in Boulder. Where you get married is a personal choice.

Sounds like you may need a joint sponsor.

Assuming you adjust in country say 90 days from when you file to her being able to work.

And I am sure you mean B2.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

How would we go about getting a marriage license-certificate?

And she has a B1/B2 visa (so both?)

Where can I read up on joint sponsor?

Thank you so much for your replies :)

Timeline

Boulder web site

She would have been admitted B2

On here.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hello Lovely People,

I'm getting married and I would like some help with the paperwork/visa process

Details:

We're both in the US right now, in Boulder, CO

Me - male, 22 years old , US Citizen

is marrying

partner - female, 29 years old, Colombian, currently in US with B1 tourist visa which technically expires in 3 months but she's already been in the US for 2 months

We both have a clean history with no crimes.

We've both never gotten married before.

I was in university up till recently, and now I work a job a little over minimum wage and living paycheck by paycheck.

She was a professional athlete (on the national team for her sport).

On her tourist visa application she put me as her US contact.

We have plenty of pictures together and videos dating back up to 9 months ago when we first met in colombia.

We have some friends willing to be vouch for our relationship.

I've sent money to her friend in colombia (because she had problems with her bank before) roughly 4 months ago, and I've sent money to her mom in colombia via western union. And we have the receipts.

I am happy to open up a checking account jointly with her, or even add her as a signer on my account. (I have CHarles Schwab and Chase)

We want to get married as soon as possible, probably sometime this/next week.

We've both never gotten married before so I would love some help with the marriage process as well as the visa :)

For example:

What visa would she even apply for? She does not apply for a visa. Visas are for entering the US. She is already here, so she does not need a visa. After marriage, you file to adjust her status so she can get a green card.

Where would I go file? (Boulder the city I live in, or go to Denver?) You do not file in Boulder or Denver. You follow the instructions on the forms to file for her.

What do we need for marriage to be legal? (I did some research that Colorado doesn't need officiate/witnesses, but would that be a good idea?) Google "marriage + your city." You will find what is necessary to marry where you are from the local city government.

Would she be able to stay in the US or would she have to go back to Colombia as we do the paperwork ? :( Once you file for her to adjust status, she can stay. In fact, she has to stay until she gets AP or a green card. Once she has AP or a green card, she can leave the US without abandoning the adjustment of status. If she leaves without AP or the green card, she will not be allowed back until she gets a spousal visa which would take 6-12 months.

I'm living paycheck to paycheck so she wants to help me out by working, how long would it take for her to be able to work? When she files to adjust, she can file for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). This will take about 90 days to get. She can not work until she gets the EAD.

I'm really in a pickle and stressed, help is greatly appreciated!

Hi,

She does not need a visa. Visas are used to enter the US. She is already here, so she does not need a visa.

Once you are married, she files for an Adjustment of Status to get a green card. Follow the Guides at the top of this page.

When she AOS, she will be allowed to stay here (even when her visitor visa expires). There are conditions. If she leaves without AP or a green card, then she abandons the AOS. It takes about 90 days to get AP.

You will need a Joint Sponsor for the I-864 Affidavit of Support.

Best of luck.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

How would we go about getting a marriage license-certificate? Check with your local government. Go to the city or county. Google "marriage + your city."

And she has a B1/B2 visa (so both?) It's the same thing. It's a combo visa.

Where can I read up on joint sponsor? Form I-864. You can find it using Google.

Thank you so much for your replies :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Moving from CR-1 spousal visa to AOS from Tourist Visa forum *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

This is clearly a AOS from Tourist visa. I don't know why the MOD is moving to CR1/IR Visa.

It is faster to start the process here in the US since this is a truly bona fide marriage between this two people.

Because if he starts the I-130 here and she goes to Colombia. That's gonna take time between interviews, NOAs and everything. About 3-6 or even more months and ANYWAY when se comes back to marry him with the fiancee visa (90 days visa) they will have to start the AOS from that visa which is the same of everyone 6 months.

1 month after package received in Chicago for Fingerprints and Biometrics

then 2 months for Work Permit (EAD Card) and some other two to three months for Interview which ends up being 6 months total.

I know people that got Adjustment of Status in about 4 months total from Tourist to Green Card.

Total costs for Adjustment of Status is $1,070 (I-130) and $420 (please confirm I-485 which also includes Work Permit and Travel permit). And she does not need to go back to Colombia.

He will need a joint sponsor because poverty level for two people is $19,600 a year.

---------------------------------- AOS ---------------------------------------------------------

February 28, 2015: AOS Packet Sent via FedEX to Chicago Lockbox: I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131.

DAY 19 - March 21, 2015: NOA for Biometrics Appointment scheduled on 04/01/2015

DAY 77 - May 19, 2015: EAD and AP has been approved "We ordered your new card"

DAY 84 - May 26, 2015: We mailed your EAD to the address you gave us/USPS picked up the Card

DAY 85 - May 27, 2015: Interview Scheduled for June 29, 2015.

** May 29: Traveled with my AP back to my country and came back three weeks after with no problems Click here to ready the report **

DAY 117 - June 29, 2015: Had our interview. Approved on the spot.

DAY 124 - July 6, 2015: Welcome noticed received.

DAY 134 - July 16, 2015: Green Card delivered to my home by USPS - END OF AOS -

---------------------------------- ROC ---------------------------------------------------------

DAY 1 - April 7, 2017: Sent I-751 to CSC

I think your questions have pretty much been answered above (and one judgmental comment to boot), but I want to stress that your spouse should not leave the US until they receive the AP, or, to be even safer, the green card itself. You're looking at about 90 days for the AP, and 3-5 months for the green card (usually).

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013

Timeline

$35 in Colorado I think for a marriage license.

We do not know her financial position, sounds much better.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Two post removed for not contributing to the thread. Post constructively or do not post. One post quoting returned to view~~

Are you thinking it would be cheaper for them to travel back and forth? Many people do this with a joint sponsor, I don't see that it is any business of ours.

Mod hat off

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is clearly a AOS from Tourist visa. I don't know why the MOD is moving to CR1/IR Visa.

It was moved from CR1/Ir1 to AOS.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Got the marriage license and the ceremony is Wednesday.

Thank you guys for the help.

Looking into the guides and will post with any questions

Edited by Toto15

Timeline

Wish you the best toto!

---------------------------------- AOS ---------------------------------------------------------

February 28, 2015: AOS Packet Sent via FedEX to Chicago Lockbox: I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131.

DAY 19 - March 21, 2015: NOA for Biometrics Appointment scheduled on 04/01/2015

DAY 77 - May 19, 2015: EAD and AP has been approved "We ordered your new card"

DAY 84 - May 26, 2015: We mailed your EAD to the address you gave us/USPS picked up the Card

DAY 85 - May 27, 2015: Interview Scheduled for June 29, 2015.

** May 29: Traveled with my AP back to my country and came back three weeks after with no problems Click here to ready the report **

DAY 117 - June 29, 2015: Had our interview. Approved on the spot.

DAY 124 - July 6, 2015: Welcome noticed received.

DAY 134 - July 16, 2015: Green Card delivered to my home by USPS - END OF AOS -

---------------------------------- ROC ---------------------------------------------------------

DAY 1 - April 7, 2017: Sent I-751 to CSC

• 5 weeks later...
Timeline

Hey Guys,

I'm filing out the paperwork and I'm confused.

Do I file the I 130 packet first and after a period time I file I 485?

Or do I file the two packets together?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.