Lea!

I-864 - AOS help

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I am trying to fill in the forms, but I am confused.

I am trying to bring my husband over, and need some advice on what I need to fill out.

I made $5,000~ for the 2014 tax year. Currently, I live with my parents.

My mother made $14,000~, and my dad made $36,000. They filed jointly.

Questions:

What is my household size?

Will my sponsor be my dad, or dad and mom, since they filed jointly?

What forms will I need? an I-864 for each, and then an I-864A for each sponsor?

1*41336

YOU

Household is 2 (you + immigrant). The count is not how many are living at the same address. The form guides you on how to count household size.

You complete I-864 and submit everything required in the instructions, even with only a small income.

--------------

JOINT SPONSOR ( Best choice is Dad since he has the most income.)

Household size is figured using the form as guidance. You haven't provided enough information. Does he have children living at home? Did he list you as a dependent on his 2014 tax return?

Dad completes his own I-864. He can list Mom's name and income on his form.

Part 6

#5. $36,000 (Dad)

6c. $14,000 (Mom)

10. $50,000 (total household income)

11. Check the box.

Mom must give permission to list her income. Her permission is by completing and signing I-864A

They each prove their income with documentation as well as proof that they are US citizens or permanent residents.

------------

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

YOU

Household is 2 (you + immigrant). The count is not how many are living at the same address. The form guides you on how to count household size.

You complete I-864 and submit everything required in the instructions, even with only a small income.

--------------

JOINT SPONSOR ( Best choice is Dad since he has the most income.)

Household size is figured using the form as guidance. You haven't provided enough information. Does he have children living at home? Did he list you as a dependent on his 2014 tax return?

Dad completes his own I-864. He can list Mom's name and income on his form.

Part 6

#5. $36,000 (Dad)

6c. $14,000 (Mom)

10. $50,000 (total household income)

11. Check the box.

Mom must give permission to list her income. Her permission is by completing and signing I-864A

They each prove their income with documentation as well as proof that they are US citizens or permanent residents.

------------

Thanks for your response.

My confusion is that on my I-864, section 5, question 7 says "Optional: If you have any siblings, parents, .... with the same principal residence who are combining their income with yours by submitting an I-864A, enter the number here".

Can I not submit an I-864 and then have my dad submit an I-864A, or must I do it how you said, and only declare a household of 2.

1*41336

Thanks for your response.

My confusion is that on my I-864, section 5, question 7 says "Optional: If you have any siblings, parents, .... with the same principal residence who are combining their income with yours by submitting an I-864A, enter the number here".

Can I not submit an I-864 and then have my dad submit an I-864A, or must I do it how you said, and only declare a household of 2.

The real purpose of what you quoted is a case where nobody qualified. It is a way to put it all in one pot. Example if you made $10k, Dad made $10k, Mom made $10k---nobody qualifies as sponsor or joint sponsor. That clause allows you to add it all up to $30k since you live in the same house.

You could do that, but it is a cleaner more straightforward approach to do yours and let Dad do his since he actually qualifies on his income. Then you don't have the mixed up scenario where dad is doing an I-864A, but his tax return is joint with Mom. Keep Mom/Dad on a separate Joint Sponsor track is my opinion as the best way. Dad counts his own household...him, mom, any children still at home, you if he claims you on his 2014 tax return + immigrant.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

The real purpose of what you quoted is a case where nobody qualified. It is a way to put it all in one pot. Example if you made $10k, Dad made $10k, Mom made $10k---nobody qualifies as sponsor or joint sponsor. That clause allows you to add it all up to $30k since you live in the same house.

You could do that, but it is a cleaner more straightforward approach to do yours and let Dad do his since he actually qualifies on his income. Then you don't have the mixed up scenario where dad is doing an I-864A, but his tax return is joint with Mom. Keep Mom/Dad on a separate Joint Sponsor track is my opinion as the best way. Dad counts his own household...him, mom, any children still at home, you if he claims you on his 2014 tax return + immigrant.

Thanks.

They're both having trouble understanding which numbers go in which boxes.

For the tax years 2012, 13, and 14, they have their tax returns (filed jointly), my moms w2s, my dads 1099-Rs and W2s from when he was under paid.

On the I-864, we're struggling with:

Part 6:

-Section 5

-Section 6c

-Section 10 (But that won't be difficult once the previous two are understood)

-13.a.1 - 13.c.1

1*41336

Thanks.

They're both having trouble understanding which numbers go in which boxes.

For the tax years 2012, 13, and 14, they have their tax returns (filed jointly), my moms w2s, my dads 1099-Rs and W2s from when he was under paid.

On the I-864, we're struggling with:

Part 6:

-Section 5

-Section 6c

-Section 10 (But that won't be difficult once the previous two are understood)

-13.a.1 - 13.c.1

Dad's I-864

Part 6: (has nothing to do with a tax return)

#1-4 Dad lists his job(s) or retirement or unemployment...whatever applies to him.

On #5 he says what he earns right now. What do his paychecks say his gross earnings are before taxes are held out. If he earns $3000 a month, then 12x3000 is $36,000 yearly income. If he is retired, then how much is his pension (before taxes held out). It if he just got a raise yesterday, then he now earns more than last year and can say his new yearly salary. If he works two jobs, add the salaries together

#6a- Mom's name

6b - spouse

6c- mom's current income based on her paychecks or the same things I said for Dad #5

#10 - add #5 (Dad) plus #6c (Mom) together.

-Section 10

Depends on if they have filed their 2014 taxes yet. I will assume yes.

13.a. 2014 >>>> 13.a.1. $___ copy line 22 straight off the 2014 joint tax return Form 1040

13.b. 2013 >>>> 13.b.1. $___ copy line 22 straight off the 2013 joint tax return

13.c. 2012 >>>> 13.c.1. $___ copy line 22 straight off the 2012 joint tax return

No they do not have to match or add up to anything in section 6. Just report what their tax return says.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.