Tee and Megan

Medical Financial Assistance, Violate I-864?

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My husband and I have a tricky situation going on here, and really need some VJ wisdom.

When he first arrived in the country, the CDC gave him an appointment to have his Xrays read (taken during his medical exam prior to our K-1 interview) just as a precautionary measure because he'd had a bad lung infection and they wanted to make sure he was all clear. We had our Xrays read at a local hospital and were very clear to ask the nurses in the department if there would be any fee or if we should expect a bill. They all said it was standard procedure and no, there would be no bill.

Over a month later we got a bill for $160 from the hospital. Since then I've been trying to get a hold of someone to ask why we were charged when everyone at the hospital said we wouldn't. I can't get any answers from them; and they keep shuffling me from department to department. I'm so frustrated.

Now the bill is past due and we just got another one for $394. Why do they keep sending us bills!? And why won't they let us speak to the nurse who read our Xrays to ask her about this?? Gah! I'm about ready to give up and just try to figure out how to pay it; I'm so confused.

My main question is If we apply for financial assistance through the HOSPITAL (not Medicare or Medicad or anything like that) will that be a violation of his I-864?

Any advice would be so appreciated

Blessings

Megan and Tee

All that we are and all that will be we dedicate to the One who brought us together

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

Petition sent: 03/27/2014

Interview date!!! 10/06/2014

AOS:

Packet received at Chicago Lockbox: 2/2/2015

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

Green card received!! 09/24/2015

ROC: 

I-751 sent off to CSC: 7/25/2017

NOA1: 7/27/2017

Filed Inquiry into Biometrics status: 9/18/2017

10 Year Green Card Approved!!! 10/22/2018

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Let me tell you a little secret about Hospitals.

IF you tell them you don't have the money, they will sometimes just let you fill out some form and they will wiave a Bill. I had them waive about $6,000 emergency room bills a few years ago.

Or you can settle for a less charge and negotiate.

Or you can basically dispute the bill since you were told it was not to be billed.

Or you can pay like a few dollars per month and pay on it.

To me if you went to the hospital and was told there would be no charges by a nurse, then I would of been suspicious. Hospital are there to make money...

Skilled Nursing Service bills you, not the hospital (which is free as you were answered.) It is really normal.

You don't pay, it will ruin your credit later, very simple. It isn't worth for those few hundreds. Good luck.

Edited by NancyNguyen

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.