vatten

Weird job interview!

41 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I can understand that feeling of missing things you used to have. My husband goes through these emotions, especially when something doesn't go right here, where he just feels like everything was so much better for him back home (and personally I would like to move to his country myself because I enjoyed the slower pace of life).

It makes me sad to think that he came here for me and gave up a lot of things. However, it isn't good to keep feeling sad about that. Then I also think that he came here because he gained something he didn't have there. It might not be something tangible, like a swimming pool :P, but something more abstract like seeing life more clearly, because when people haven't been somewhere else, they tend to look at other places with rose colored glasses and are always looking for greener pastures and it takes leaving home to find out there aren't greener pastures. They say, wherever you go, there you are. Ultimately, we have to deal with the dissatisfaction within ourselves and find peace wherever we are.

I feel bad sometime when I know he have hard feeling about my complaint, he feel guilty too, especially when I suggested to back to my home-country to give birth our baby (I'm in my 25th Weeks pregnant). Everything is so easy and simple there and living expenses VERY CHEAP, you don't find any problem to raise up 3 or 4 kids (people in cities may only have 2 kids because they look for QUALITY LIFESTYLE), and I myself come from a family size 10 members with 7 siblings, a big family. (Imagine childbirth only RM5 for 1 or 2 nights stay + consultant & medication at that time (all expenses below $2 for childbirth))...

Hubby worry that I'm not coming back if I back to my home-country, and we have some argument on this too.

Seriously I really love him, and I don't want to see him feel sad again because I can't fit to the environment and lifestyle here. I really enjoy my life in Malaysia, with a stable job, reasonable paid, happy family... I know I need to sacrifice since I failed to get him a job, and I understand there is no-way to make uturn at this stage.

I hope, and still praying for this, that we able to raise our kids here till they finish their college, then we can back to my home country for retire, lol... This is the only thing he can promised so far.

12.15.2009 - Meet through online games, he is my Hero star_smile.gif

02.14.2010 - Dating

12.22.2010 - First meet@London (My first white Christmas)

[Long.distance: Skype, Whatsapp, Messenger, eCard, eGifts]

12.29.2011 - He visit my parents@Kuala Lumpur

02.20.2013 - B2 Rejected crying.gif

06.19.2013 - K1 visa application documents mailed to John

12.20,2013 - Packet 3 received

05.20.2014 - Checklist and DS-230 sent

06.25.2014 - Packet 4 (Appointment letter) received

07.02.2014 - Medical Exam

07.11.2014 - Medical Exam result received

07.15.2014 - Final Interview

07.18.2014 - K1 visa secured

09.12.2014 - Landed Chicagoland

10.10.2014 - Married in Court House :content:

11.15.2014 - SSN with name changed obtained

12.08.2014 - AOS Files Sent

01.08.2015 - Bio Appointment

02.12.2015 - I-765 & I-131 approved!

02.23.2015 - Employment Authorization Card received

as1cHhSB0361800MTAwNDcxNGx8NTQ1MjgxbHxEY

as1cR2SoSf-1800MTAwMzVsfDQ1NTQ4MTlsc3xDb

• 1 month later...

Sick leave and sick pay is not a 'human right'. Unless regulated by law, it's a matter between the employer and the employee.

Although it's a rather harsh and counterproductive stance for the employer to take, the hiring manager was at least telling you clearly what that employer's expectations are. If you are uncomfortable with that (and you expect to walk into a job where you will be paid for disappearing several times a year), then I think you should look for a position elsewhere.

And possibly the U.S. employment market is not the place for you, and you should consider returning to Europe.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Things work differently in the US compared to most first world countries when it comes to labour law. Basically everything is stacked in favour of the employer and not the employee. Unless sick leave is included as a benefit in your contract you are not entitled to it. Sounds illegal? Well not really, your employer will just find a reason to fire you if you get sick all the time. Yes you can sue but that is very expensive and time consuming.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Back in January, I went to a job interview at Hampton Inn, in the city where I currently live.

The manager who interviewed me, before asking me any questions, said that at this job I will NEVER be allowed to become sick, not even one day. She warned me if only one time I call out, I don't need to come back to work, I will be immediately terminated!

I listened to her in shock. I had a very calm expression while listening. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. She said she is making her own rules there and no one is ever allowed to become sick.

Is this possible? I'm from Europe and I have never heard someone talk this way. In Europe if you become sick you can stay home to recover and you get paid for that! And if you're sick a few times a year, that's ok, no problem. I'm in shock when I look at the American system.

Where are the human rights coming in here? Maybe in America you are not entitled to anything...maybe they are against human rights?

I didn't feel like I want to have that job.

The benefits given for a job will vary from company to company. There is government regulation but nothing like what you are used to in many parts of Europe.

Hampton-inns seem to have different policies at different hotels (you can google for the employee handbooks) - most seem to use a CTO to combine sick leave and vacation. I think what you were experiencing here is a very bad manager or a manager having a very bad day..

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It's heaven if you're happy with up to half of your salary being taken in taxes and social.

I don't know, some people here in the US do fantastically well, while others are much worse off than Europeans doing very similar work. Taxes are less, but healthcare and education are also so much less expensive in Europe. I just don't buy the argument that Americans are better off because taxes are lower. Swings and round abouts really.

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I cant say I notice lower taxes in the US because everything seems more expensive here. Going from the Uk with atleast 4 weeks paid vacation in even in the most basic jobs, paid sick leave and paid maternity leave to 1 week a year and no maternity or sick leave is a real culture shock. I cant even comprehend how I will ever afford to have children which is sad. Before anyone else pipes in with "well why did you move here" they need to realize that the huge patriotism of the US and the propaganda of the 'American Dream' being pumped out from the US gives you a highly distorted view of life here before you get here. I moved here to be with the man I loved assuming that as a first world nation thered be certain employment rights and that itd be easy to achieve a basic standard of living but unfortunately all ive seen are drastic wage differences between jobs and even two people doing the same job with same company can earn vastly different amounts.

Submitted k1 visa petition - January 20th,2013NOA1 - February 2nd 2013NOA2 - June 20th 2013Medical - August 14th 2013<p>Interview - October 4th
Moved to California January 8th smile.png

I worked in a hotel in the USA for a year, and they don't give sick pay to frontline employees, it is the hospitality industry... it has the highest rates of turnover of any industry, always will be. Standards are a lot better in the UK though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Back in January, I went to a job interview at Hampton Inn, in the city where I currently live.

The manager who interviewed me, before asking me any questions, said that at this job I will NEVER be allowed to become sick, not even one day. She warned me if only one time I call out, I don't need to come back to work, I will be immediately terminated!

I listened to her in shock. I had a very calm expression while listening. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. She said she is making her own rules there and no one is ever allowed to become sick.

Is this possible? I'm from Europe and I have never heard someone talk this way. In Europe if you become sick you can stay home to recover and you get paid for that! And if you're sick a few times a year, that's ok, no problem. I'm in shock when I look at the American system.

Where are the human rights coming in here? Maybe in America you are not entitled to anything...maybe they are against human rights?

I didn't feel like I want to have that job.

http://www.hiltonworldwide.com/contact-us/

I believe I would make a call and have him or her skewered. That's just me though.

Edited by Expat1

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I worked in a hotel in the USA for a year, and they don't give sick pay to frontline employees, it is the hospitality industry... it has the highest rates of turnover of any industry, always will be. Standards are a lot better in the UK though.

Sick pay has nothing to do with not being allowed to call in sick. geeze

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.