koreanjourney

I-864 Domicile Form Question! (Seoul Embassy)

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! :luv:

My husband and I are preparing documents for his CR-1 VISA interview, but are stuck on question 5 of the "Other Information" section on form I-864 "Affidavit of Support" which asks the domicile of the sponsor.

We're filing from South Korea, which has a different VISA process for those lawfully holding residence in Korea. This means we didn't have to submit documents to NVC and bring all packet 3 documents directly to the interview instead (So Cool).

Because it's the condition of the process that I'm a resident of Korea, I am putting my Korean address on everything that asks for it/mailing address/etc. but then, what should I put for my domicile? Should it be the U.S? I've read that I cannot be a sponsor unless I put U.S as the domicile, is this correct? My father has filled out an additional form in order to be a joint sponsor (I make enough money to be over the poverty line with my current job, but I had him fill it out just in case).

Evidence that establishes I still have connections to the U.S are

1. My own bank Account in U.S with over 5,000 dollars in it.

2. Non-expired Drivers Licence

3. Letter signed by both my parents indicating we're allowed to stay in their home in the U.S until we're financially stable.

Also, my father is able to set me up with a job in the U.S due to connections he has, but I have to wait until I'm back in the U.S for any interviews. Will they just have to take my word for it that this is true? Will the above info. be enough to prove domicile?

Interview is in a week so there's not much time left, so thanks for your responses in advance!

Edited by koreanjourney

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone! :luv:

My husband and I are preparing documents for his CR-1 VISA interview, but are stuck on question 5 of the "Other Information" section on form I-864 "Affidavit of Support" which asks the domicile of the sponsor.

We're filing from South Korea, which has a different VISA process for those lawfully holding residence in Korea. This means we didn't have to submit documents to NVC and bring all packet 3 documents directly to the interview instead (So Cool).

Because it's the condition of the process that I'm a resident of Korea, I am putting my Korean address on everything that asks for it/mailing address/etc. but then, what should I put for my domicile? Should it be the U.S? I've read that I cannot be a sponsor unless I put U.S as the domicile, is this correct? My father has filled out an additional form in order to be a joint sponsor (I make enough money to be over the poverty line with my current job, but I had him fill it out just in case).

Evidence that establishes I still have connections to the U.S are

1. My own bank Account in U.S with over 5,000 dollars in it.

2. Non-expired Drivers Licence

3. Letter signed by both my parents indicating we're allowed to stay in their home in the U.S until we're financially stable.

Also, my father is able to set me up with a job in the U.S due to connections he has, but I have to wait until I'm back in the U.S for any interviews. Will they just have to take my word for it that this is true? Will the above info. be enough to prove domicile?

Interview is in a week so there's not much time left, so thanks for your responses in advance!

Anything that is verbal is not honored in consulate. Everything should be documented. I'm not sure about the support but they always prefer that it should be a us citizen that should sponsor you. But either way you can try your luck if they will allow you with your own terms. But the only one thing I'm sure, anything that is not legally document considered as non existent for them. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply :)

I am a U.S citizen born and raised. (I'm sponsoring my husband who is a Korean citizen). I've been in Korea with my husband for the past 2 1/2 years and work as an English teacher which mean they consider me a resident here (since I'm on a long-term Korean VISA myself). My parents are both born and raised U.S citizens as well.

Should I have my father maybe e-mail me something that says he's able to provide me with a job?

The main thing I'm confused about is putting my domicile as the U.S or Korea. I'm guessing since my citizenship is U.S I'd put the U.S but want to make sure.

Thank you again!

Edited by koreanjourney

~~moved to DCF forum from IR1/CR1 process and procedures as the OP filed via DCF with the embassy~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.