Ken&Lin

Problems with getting SSN by mail --> How to register your address at Postal Office

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

So I've waited two weeks and I have not yet received the SSN I applied for after entering the US on my K1 visa. I called up the SSA to ask what is up. She mentioned that since I probably have not registered myself to live on our address (which I haven't) at the postal office they will not deliver the SSN to our address since only my fiancee is registered to live here. Not me.

So now I am trying to figure out how to add my name to the address. I found this: https://moversguide.usps.com/icoa/home/icoa-main-flow.do?execution=e2s1&_flowId=icoa-main-flow&- but it requires a current US address to fill out, so not much help.

Any ideas how to register myself as a residence at our place so I can receive my SSN?

Thanks!

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

I have to admit I've never heard of such a thing. I'm all but positive that you could send mail to my house using any sort of made up name that you liked, such as Kittycat Delight, and USPS would deliver it.

I can't find anything online alluding to what you were told. I suppose USPS could be the final word; you try calling a local USPS office.

Edited by ExPatty

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Unless you are in an apartment you can't actually register your address. If it's an apartment most the time it just a matter of putting your name on the inside of your mailbox.

That link you have is to forward your mail from an old address to the new one until you can notify everyone you moved.

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

put a namecard inside of your postal box showing the names of all humans that reside there.

you should go back to the SSA office and get the SSN (number, not card) or learn of new problems with them.

Seriously, go back, Next Business Day. Using a phone with the SSA is useless.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

so you ready for the roadtrip on Monday? yes? no? if no, why no?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I went there last Friday. They cannot give me my SSN since it is against protocol, so I had to re-apply, add my name to our address, added my fiancee as C/O for when they send the new card and put my name inside the mailbox.

Timeline

cool - show up monday,

and you'll either (pick one):

1. get the number (not the card) or

2. learn of new problems.

Timeline

They will not give me the SSN number no matter what. I had to wait until I got the card. Some security blah blah :)

what? the visa holder went in person, the next business day, and was told this?

sorry, somethings amiss. seriously amiss.

what i've described is standard.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.