vatten

Do you like American food and water?

99 posts in this topic

You'd think that Niceb but its nothing like Irish food, and if it tastes nice its probably extremely bad for you :rofl:

Everything you've said about the veggies and chicken in Brazil and how its produced, its the exact same in the US. They have hormones in the milk and antibiotics in the eggs, plus they radiate the veggies. Most soy produced in the US is GMO and almost everything in the US has a soy derivative of it. they're are the organic options, but be prepared to pay twice the price.

For a heads up, A box of 12 donuts in the US costs more then a tiny bag of sprouts (not organic)

And the Tea sucks. :ranting:

So you're complaining about a country, which has 33 million people to feed, vs your country which has 4.6 million. You have the choice to buy organic. By doing so you increase that market and make it more profitable for people to grow that way and thus cheaper for others to buy that way. It's not always twice the price, but since the median income for the USA per household is almost twice that of Ireland, you should be alright.

Also you can have your own garden or farm and raise whatever you want in whatever manner you choose to. Since there is available land in which to do so.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

So you're complaining about a country, which has 33 million people to feed, vs your country which has 4.6 million. You have the choice to buy organic. By doing so you increase that market and make it more profitable for people to grow that way and thus cheaper for others to buy that way. It's not always twice the price, but since the median income for the USA per household is almost twice that of Ireland, you should be alright.

Also you can have your own garden or farm and raise whatever you want in whatever manner you choose to. Since there is available land in which to do so.

Firstly, Its 330 million people to feed, recheck your figures. :oops:

Secondly, not complaining. Replying to a thread asking whether I liked American food or not, and i don't- and I'm explaining why.

Not everyone has the choice to buy organic. I have been without a work permit for 5 months- My husbands income alone has not been sufficient to buy organic, but We can when we can, so don't assume things about people you know nothing about. When I was working back in Dublin, part time I could find affordable organic, HighFructoseCornSyrup FreeTransfatFreeGMOfreeArtificialFlavourFree food cheaply, and locally.

Also it would be nice not to have to spend an extra hour shopping because you need to read every single label of every item you pick up.

Dont take just Ireland- take Europe as a whole- still doesn't allow use a lot of the controversial food methods the US does.

Also about the median income- I don't buy into the whole "America has better opportunity for all ect ect"- it depends. Its specific. Doesn't apply to all other western, modern countries.

Immigrating to a country doesn't automatically take away your opinions- I don't like US food in comparison to many European countries, think its dangerous (and it is dangerous) and Il tell people when asked, like this thread asked.

Don't get so upset :dancing:(F)

Edited by Mochara

Oh yes.. not in Canada anymore.. add the zero. LOL

Median is just that.. median. I made 13k last year... hubs made significantly more.

I agree that comparing food like this thread is asking to should actually be moved to hot topics vs where it is.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You'd think that Niceb but its nothing like Irish food, and if it tastes nice its probably extremely bad for you :rofl:

Everything you've said about the veggies and chicken in Brazil and how its produced, its the exact same in the US. They have hormones in the milk and antibiotics in the eggs, plus they radiate the veggies. Most soy produced in the US is GMO and almost everything in the US has a soy derivative of it. they're are the organic options, but be prepared to pay twice the price.

For a heads up, A box of 12 donuts in the US costs more then a tiny bag of sprouts (not organic)

And the Tea sucks. :ranting:

I should hope 12 donuts are more expensive!

Timeline

I should hope 12 donuts are more expensive!

Sorry, cheaper! A box of 12 donuts is cheaper then a bag of sprouts. Here in Walmart and Publix anyway.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Sorry, cheaper! A box of 12 donuts is cheaper then a bag of sprouts. Here in Walmart and Publix anyway.

I thought that was what you meant;)

I agree with the points you made btw! Food seems to be an explosive topic;)

Timeline

Yeah, well, we all have to eat no matter where we are in the world! . But in fairness anyone who argues US food is healthy, needs their heads examined.

USA- known globally for its healthy and fit lifestyle.

Erm.... :secret:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

Hmmmmm

I would say that if you whish to eat healthy you can do it in USA as you can do it in Europe. When you go to shopping you have to look at declaration till you get familiar to particular product, here and there.

Each country has her own food, her own style of feeding.

In my opinion (taking from my CA experience) I think that in USA you have enough choice to eat healthy...and prices? Healthy food is expensive here and there.....

Ps. Sorry for my grammar mistakes:)

Edited by Frips

N-400 Timeline
04/02/19 N-400 Submitted online
04/22/19 Biometrics
11/05/19 Interview (Approved)

ROC Timeline

Service Center: California

08/11/17 I-751 Packet delivered to USCIS

09/18/17 Biometrics Appointment

08/17/18 2nd extension letter (additional 6 months)

11/02/18 New card is being  produced (Approved)

NVC
11-04-2014 NVC case receive

05-20-2015 Visa received

10-06-2015 Time to kick back and let it fly

Filed: Timeline

Firstly, Its 330 million people to feed, recheck your figures. :oops:

Secondly, not complaining. Replying to a thread asking whether I liked American food or not, and i don't- and I'm explaining why.

Not everyone has the choice to buy organic. I have been without a work permit for 5 months- My husbands income alone has not been sufficient to buy organic, but We can when we can, so don't assume things about people you know nothing about. When I was working back in Dublin, part time I could find affordable organic, HighFructoseCornSyrup FreeTransfatFreeGMOfreeArtificialFlavourFree food cheaply, and locally.

Also it would be nice not to have to spend an extra hour shopping because you need to read every single label of every item you pick up.

Dont take just Ireland- take Europe as a whole- still doesn't allow use a lot of the controversial food methods the US does.

Also about the median income- I don't buy into the whole "America has better opportunity for all ect ect"- it depends. Its specific. Doesn't apply to all other western, modern countries.

Immigrating to a country doesn't automatically take away your opinions- I don't like US food in comparison to many European countries, think its dangerous (and it is dangerous) and Il tell people when asked, like this thread asked.

Don't get so upset :dancing:(F)

Filed: Timeline

Food in Europe is much better and healthier. Why are most European people so slim and healthy? Because the food and water is not so poisoned like in the US. Healthy citizens are productive citizens.

And because they exercise more as well. Where I currently am in the US, I've never seen one person exercising. I know some are, but maybe not too many. It makes me sad when I look around every day and I see what I see!

It's sad and scary when you're at some restaurants and certain people eat 5 plates of all kinds of fried foods...maybe it's the Monosodium Glutamate that makes them want more and more. That's why we must be very careful what we eat here.

Here many people can't eat only organic because of their income...Most Americans are poor, unfortunately! The American dream is a big lie for many here.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

...it's due mentality and life style there.

In Europe life style is also changing unfortunately. Every year there is more and more children who are overweight. I don't see blame in food, there is enough of choice what to eat. I see blame on each individual who accepts lifestyle like that.

N-400 Timeline
04/02/19 N-400 Submitted online
04/22/19 Biometrics
11/05/19 Interview (Approved)

ROC Timeline

Service Center: California

08/11/17 I-751 Packet delivered to USCIS

09/18/17 Biometrics Appointment

08/17/18 2nd extension letter (additional 6 months)

11/02/18 New card is being  produced (Approved)

NVC
11-04-2014 NVC case receive

05-20-2015 Visa received

10-06-2015 Time to kick back and let it fly

Yeah, well, we all have to eat no matter where we are in the world! . But in fairness anyone who argues US food is healthy, needs their heads examined.

USA- known globally for its healthy and fit lifestyle.

Erm.... :secret:

The problem in the USA isn't necessarily the food (which can be a problem, I agree) but IMHO, it's the quantity of it. I rarely leave a restaurant without a take home box that has enough food for almost 2 more meals. In Canada that was a great deal more rare. You paid more money for less food, which is not the American way. People here often eat more and because they work so much, they do less exercise. I don't see it as much where I live, but Colorado is one of the healthiest states. I know I don't exercise enough. I saw a lot of heavier people in the south when we visited there, but honestly I cannot blame someone for not wanting to run around when it's 100F outside and so humid it feels like you're breathing in water. So they should eat healthier but as many southern states are poor, and it's stupidly cheaper to eat bologna and white bread, I agree something should be done about prices of eating healthy. Oklahoma city was bad and the food there was also bad. A McDonalds every block or so and obese people out begging for money on the street (right across from McDonald's, interestingly enough.)

But there is bad and good everywhere. EVERYWHERE!!!! You can choose to eat healthy. If you don't like the price of it, well, just remember that choosing that method helps promote it and eventually lowers the price. I guess you'll eat less because it costs more and won't be an overweight statistic. ;)

<eom>

Edited by NLR

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

You are right about the chocolate! I find Hershey's horrible, because I'm used to Finnish chocolates.. Luckily, my mom keeps me stocked with the good stuff, and really, nobody needs to eat chocolate after all.

It isn't very hard either to find foods that don't have too much high fructose corn suryp in them.. I mean, sure, if you drink pop, eat candies and sugary treats, but those aren't exactly healthy for you even if you would eat the European made ones that are made with actual sugar. I do find that orange fanta for example tastes weird here, for the simple reason of making it with hfcs. Nothing I can do, other than choose not to drink it.

If you are worried about the hormones in milk.. Well, do you really need to drink milk either? You can get calcium from elsewhere and milk isn't necessary in any grown adults diet, really. Plus there are options too, like almond milk. Although I am not sure how healthy that is for you either.

Yes, the US uses a lot of pesticides and fertilizes that are totally banned in e.g. the EU, for health risks. In reality though, those residues that you will get from produce are very very small and the substances mostly affect the nature and the substance handler (the farmer handles huge amounts of them). In any case you should obviously wash and possibly peal your vegetables before eating anyway. And radiation... They definitely radiate for example apples grown in Italy too.. For a longer storage life.

GMO soy.. Well that might not be so easy to avoid, because if you pay attention to reading labels, then you will find that literally almost everything has soy in it in some form. However, I am personally not very afraid of that either, because mostly again, it is the packaged foods, and cooking most our meals from scratch, well I know exactly what's in them.

If the food here is going to kill me, then so be it. I'm going to die anyway :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.