Sallinger

AOS interview- Stamp for immediate travel?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Specific question that I couldn't find answered anywhere else....... As you can see on my timeline, I filed AOS at the start of Jan and I have been eagerly awaiting my EAD/AP, surprisingly and luckily before it has arrived I have received an interview for March 24th for the actual I-485. That's less than three months from AOS application to interview, which was a shock.

My question is, in the event of me not receiving my combo card before my interview, assuming my interview is successful and I am approved, can the official put a stamp in my passport on that same day to allow me to travel?

My siblings all live across the globe and there is a unique chance for us all to be together in Australia from March 26th-April 6th so if I could get this stamp which would act as a temp green card it would mean I can consider joining them. Obviously I wouldn't book travel in case there is an issue with the interview but just to know it's a possibility allows me to start looking at flights, costs etc.

Realise there are lots of assumptions and if's in this post but if anyone can spread any light then that would be great.

Appreciate it.

You can ask on the day. They may or may not give you the stamp.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

We did exactly this. We were traveling overseas - expecting to use the EAD/AP card, but then our AOS interview was scheduled a week before our scheduled departure. During the interview my wife was told she was approved so we showed the IO our tickets and that we were traveling out of the country for a week and it would be really great if we had some sort of stamp while our GC was in production and being delivered. The IO talked to some others and they agreed it was ok, and stamped my wife's passport with a temporary stamp.

The POE situation was interesting and actually confusing for the CBP agents as we presented the stamp as well as the EAD/AP and stated that my wife as actually an LPR since a week prior but she hadn't received the card yet. They said the stamp over-rode the EAD/AP but they had to verify everything so we were funneled over secondary so they could research our case. I also had a copy of the approval letter which really helped CBP figure everything out. 10 minutes later we were cleared.

Even if you don't get a stamp, bring your AOS approval letter, assuming you receive it before you have to travel. It really helped clear up everything and has the information they need to verify status.

Good luck!

K-1 Visa

**AOS**

09/03/2014 AOS packet (I-485, I-765, I-131) delivered to Chicago lockbox

09/08/2014 NOA1 received for AOS, EAD, AP

10/01/2014 Biometrics

11/04/2014 I-485: Status changed to Testing and Interview

11/12/2014 EAD & AP Approved, combo card in production

11/22/2014 EAD/AP Combo card received

02/04/2015 AOS Interview - approved! Card in production

02/12/2015 Card received!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You can ask on the day. They may or may not give you the stamp.

That was our experience. My wife asked after the AOS interview, the IO declined the request.

YMMV

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Damn that's really really fast right now. You're not an international drug smuggler or something? ha ha. Looking at timelines most people are closer to a year before AOS goes through. I think the interview rate is pretty low with k1 AOS also, could be wrong but my wife doesn't know any of her friends that had an interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.