newbie215

tax question

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good day VJ members! I just have a question: If there is something wrong in your tax form or the tax office have questions about your tax will they contact you or call you in phone? Or what if the tax office will deny or reject your form for some reason will they send it back to you?thank you all

They don't have the personnel to go over every return in detail. If there is something major wrong like a person says their income is $15,000 when the IRS got a copy of the W2 saying the income was $20,000 they will catch that. It may take a year, but eventually you will get a letter saying your reported income did not match their records. They will have it worked out what they figure your correct tax is and tell you how to pay the difference. You can sign the form saying you agree and send it back with the payment. And they can add on an interest charge for all the days since the tax was first due. That could be sizeable if you make a mistake on 2014 taxes and they don't notify you until 2016.

There are certain things they can match up by computer that you might have entered wrong and will for sure find those...SSNs, W2 income statements, 1099 Interest or dividend payments, Social Security or pension income.

They don't know if you worked abroad, are married or single, gave money to charity and took a deduction, how many miles you actually drove your car for business purposes, etc. They may never catch those things, but they can choose any tax return to do a random full audit and ask you to provide receipts and documentation. It is the fear of an audit what keeps you honest.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

They don't have the personnel to go over every return in detail. If there is something major wrong like a person says their income is $15,000 when the IRS got a copy of the W2 saying the income was $20,000 they will catch that. It may take a year, but eventually you will get a letter saying your reported income did not match their records. They will have it worked out what they figure your correct tax is and tell you how to pay the difference. You can sign the form saying you agree and send it back with the payment. And they can add on an interest charge for all the days since the tax was first due. That could be sizeable if you make a mistake on 2014 taxes and they don't notify you until 2016.

There are certain things they can match up by computer that you might have entered wrong and will for sure find those...SSNs, W2 income statements, 1099 Interest or dividend payments, Social Security or pension income.

They don't know if you worked abroad, are married or single, gave money to charity and took a deduction, how many miles you actually drove your car for business purposes, etc. They may never catch those things, but they can choose any tax return to do a random full audit and ask you to provide receipts and documentation. It is the fear of an audit what keeps you honest.

thank you so very much Nich-Nick

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

It is the fear of an audit what keeps you honest.

Fear? I thought it was patriotism and wanting to pay our fair share...jk

Good to see you on here still helping out.

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Fear? I thought it was patriotism and wanting to pay our fair share...jk

Good to see you on here still helping out.

Not fear for me. I have filed forty something years without an audit. I don't fear the IRS at all. They are after the big fish. But new immigrants think the IRS is scary so that sounded good. :P

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.