rictor.magnus

K-1 Visa without Change of Status and Permanent Residence?

57 posts in this topic

I can't find any solid information about this, so please help. I am a US citizen currently living abroad with plans to marry my foreign girlfriend this year. We have no intentions of living in the USA and plan on remaining abroad, however I would like to show her my home and let her meet my family. We were already declined for a Tourist Visa as she cannot prove sufficient ties to her home country. This leaves the K-1 Visa as an option since we are not yet married. So my question is: can we marry in the USA under a K-1 Visa (not request a Change of Status) and then return to our life abroad? And if yes, what are the future ramifications of this if we later decide to move to the USA? Thank you in advance for your input.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

The K-1 is a nonimmigrant visa with immigrant intent. You know and state, up front, that you have no immigrant intent. Therefore, this visa is not for you.

Should you wish to immigrate in the future as a married couple, you would then file the I-130 petition in pursuit of the CR-1 visa. One future ramification might be having to prevaricate during the eventual visa interview if the consul asks why you didn't follow through on the K-1 path. You could not honestly say "our plans changed."

You'll have to find another way to introduce your future wife to your family.

Good luck.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Thanks for the advice. I know misrepresentation can be extremely risky, but I don't understand what risk the government is taking if my intentions weren't genuine in this case. If we get approved for a K-1 and DO marry and DON'T overstay, then choosing to return to her home country doesn't negatively affect the USA in any way that I can see.

The 2 options I see are a) apply for K-1 and "change our minds" after marriage and return to her home country, or b) apply for a B-1 Tourist and tell the truth about our intent to marry and return, which is almost guaranteed to be declined (because we could be misrepresenting our intentions and choose to stay in America). Hopefully there is an option C that we haven't thought of yet or somebody who has had experience with this can let me know what option A's risks may be.

Thanks for the advice. I know misrepresentation can be extremely risky, but I don't understand what risk the government is taking if my intentions weren't genuine in this case. If we get approved for a K-1 and DO marry and DON'T overstay, then choosing to return to her home country doesn't negatively affect the USA in any way that I can see.

The 2 options I see are a) apply for K-1 and "change our minds" after marriage and return to her home country, or b) apply for a B-1 Tourist and tell the truth about our intent to marry and return, which is almost guaranteed to be declined (because we could be misrepresenting our intentions and choose to stay in America). Hopefully there is an option C that we haven't thought of yet or somebody who has had experience with this can let me know what option A's risks may be.

There are a lot people like you on VJ and in my opinion there is no misrepresentation here about your intention. When I applied for B-2 visa and got refused the CO gave a sheet and suggested to file petition for K-1 visa. Therefore, in my humble opinion, the purpose of K-1 visa is to let beneficiary comes to the US and marry the petitioner within 90 days.

There is no rule that after married, the beneficiary has to file adjust of status. No force to do that, but if the beneficiary wants to stay in here then she/he should have filed AoS for legal status. Non-immigrant with immigrant intent means that they can come and married and adjust of status whereas B-2 visa is non-immigrant visa without immigrant intent.

If B-2 visa can come, marry, and adjust of status then why K-1 visa can't do otherwise?

There was a post about that a while back here. The beneficiary /petitioner honestly declared on the paper and the CO that they don't intent to stay in the US but just wanted to get married because that's the petitioner's family wants. The visa was approved.

That's my two cents.

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat

- Sun Tzu-

It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you don't stop

-Confucius-

-I am the beneficiary and my post is not reflecting my petitioner's point of views-

Lifting Condition (I-751)

*Mailed I-751 package (06/21/2017) to CSC

*NOA-1 date (06/23/2017)

*NOA-1 received (06/28/2017)

*Check cashed (06/27/2017)

*Biometric Received (07/10/2017)

*Biometric Appointment (07/20/2017)

Best option , it is get marry with her on her home country, then she can apply for a tourist visa.

As a married woman she has more chance to get a tourist visa, and you and she can explain that you dont want live at usa.

She can get a tourist visa with the intention to meet her husband's family.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You most likely could pull off your scam.....but if you ever desire to immigrate to the US, that might not be possible since USCIS would have knowledge of your actions (and non-actions).

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Welcome to the forum.

The K-1 is a nonimmigrant visa with immigrant intent. You know and state, up front, that you have no immigrant intent. Therefore, this visa is not for you.

Should you wish to immigrate in the future as a married couple, you would then file the I-130 petition in pursuit of the CR-1 visa. One future ramification might be having to prevaricate during the eventual visa interview if the consul asks why you didn't follow through on the K-1 path. You could not honestly say "our plans changed."

Good luck.

I completely disagree. As you stated, the K-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa. The visa's intent is to bring your fiancé to the US to get married. After that you can do what you want: stay and adjust status or leave the US. The only downfall to filing for a K-1 visa just to bring your fiancé here is that it is a more expensive and time consuming process than other non-immigrant visas.

You most likely could pull off your scam.....but if you ever desire to immigrate to the US, that might not be possible since USCIS would have knowledge of your actions (and non-actions).

There is no scam here. It is not a scam, or misrepresentation, to have intent NOT to stay and adjust. It is a choice you have

There is no rule that after married, the beneficiary has to file adjust of status.

You said it perfectly here.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

People need to get off their high horses about scams.

The K-1 does not require you to apply for a green card after marriage.

Folks, please review the I-129f before making further comments. There is noting there about immigrating to the U.S. or a requirement to apply for a green card. The K-1 is about getting marry in the US. There is no requirement to stay to get a green card. Notice the "may" apply for a green card after marriage, not "must."

http://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/fiancee-visa/fiancee-visas

Fiancé(e) Visas

This page provides information for U.S. citizens wishing to bring a foreign national fiancé(e) living abroad to the United States to marry.

After the Fiancé(e) Visa is Issued

Once issued, the fiancé(e) visa (or K-1 nonimmigrant visa) allows your fiancé(e) to enter the United States for 90 days so that your marriage ceremony can take place. Once you marry, your spouse may apply for permanent residence and remain in the United States while USCIS processes the application. For additional information, see the Green Card section.

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

Good luck.

I expect more from a global moderator. Your information is completely wrong.

Please show where the K-1 is a non-immigrant visa with immigrant intent in any official US document or post.

Please show where there is any ramifications for using a K-1 to marry, leave, and later it's an issue with an immigrant visa.

What is your basis for the advice you gave?

I think you made it up based on your opinions and not based on facts.

Timeline

I can't find any solid information about this, so please help. I am a US citizen currently living abroad with plans to marry my foreign girlfriend this year. We have no intentions of living in the USA and plan on remaining abroad, however I would like to show her my home and let her meet my family. We were already declined for a Tourist Visa as she cannot prove sufficient ties to her home country. This leaves the K-1 Visa as an option since we are not yet married. So my question is: can we marry in the USA under a K-1 Visa (not request a Change of Status) and then return to our life abroad? And if yes, what are the future ramifications of this if we later decide to move to the USA? Thank you in advance for your input.

Hi,

You can use the K-1 to marry in the US and leave.

There is no ramifications for the future.

Best of luck.

Timeline

Best option , it is get marry with her on her home country, then she can apply for a tourist visa.

As a married woman she has more chance to get a tourist visa, and you and she can explain that you dont want live at usa.

She can get a tourist visa with the intention to meet her husband's family.

Hi,

Please review the tourist visa forum. There are plenty of spouses of US citizens who can not get a tourist visa there.

OP's best option is not the route you suggested.

How is this a scam?

Timeline

Hi,

Please review the tourist visa forum. There are plenty of spouses of US citizens who can not get a tourist visa there.

OP's best option is not the route you suggested.

How is this a scam?

Deceit of USCIS by using an immigration visa as a tourist visa.

Timeline

Deceit of USCIS by using an immigration visa as a tourist visa.

The K-1 is a nonimmigrant visa.

The OP is using the K-1 to marry in the US.

Where is the deceit?

As an Organizer of this site, please back up what you posted. Please provide any facts to back up your position that will affect the OP's life and his fiancee's life.

I have provided info from USCIS. Applying for a green card after marriage on a K-1 is permissive, not mandatory.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Girl from Celebes has a good response. There is NOTHING in the K-1 requiring a person to get married nor adjust status ... you came, you saw... you left. Others have arrived on a K-1 and for whatever reasons left again... no harm, no foul.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

The K-1 is a nonimmigrant visa.

The OP is using the K-1 to marry in the US.

Where is the deceit?

The K-1 is not a marriage visa, it's a immigration with permanent residence visa, and it's definitely not a tourist visa. Have the OP contact USCIS and ask them what they think.

As an Organizer of this site, please back up what you posted. Please provide any facts to back up your position that will affect the OP's life and his fiancee's life.

I have provided info from USCIS. Applying for a green card after marriage on a K-1 is permissive, not mandatory.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.