CaseyLE82

FBI Background Check Timeframe

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I re-read my original post and realized that I made it sound like we found a lawyer in a van down by the river. We didn't. This guy is THE top immigration lawyer in DFW. He came highly recommended by several friends of ours, including my husband's sister, who all used him and he successfully (if not slowly) adjudicated their cases.

So I guess I just wondered if the time line was out of whack, wrong, or maybe he's super busy and his internal office processing times are that long? I'm not sure. I guess I need to call him tomorrow and see what the deal is.

Also, I plan to do my own immigration legal work from this point on (unless the background check comes back unfavorable, in which case we may need the help)...just want to get the background check that I paid for.

Sounds like he knows what he's doing and by that I mean:

1) Knows immigration law

2) Knows how to suck money out of people.

You can get a background check run yourself for cheaper and much quicker, though I've never googled it. the only reason to do a background check is if you know your history is checkered and you ultimately want to see what's in it.

When I applied for our green cards our total attorney fees for two people were about $2k or so. It was a single-practice lady who worked in a hole in a wall office. She was exceptional, though. Really knew her stuff, diligent, and reliable. I was also quoted at least $5k by another attorney in the area to do the very same thing. You simply don't always get what you pay for.

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I re-read my original post and realized that I made it sound like we found a lawyer in a van down by the river. We didn't. This guy is THE top immigration lawyer in DFW. He came highly recommended by several friends of ours, including my husband's sister, who all used him and he successfully (if not slowly) adjudicated their cases.

So I guess I just wondered if the time line was out of whack, wrong, or maybe he's super busy and his internal office processing times are that long? I'm not sure. I guess I need to call him tomorrow and see what the deal is.

Also, I plan to do my own immigration legal work from this point on (unless the background check comes back unfavorable, in which case we may need the help)...just want to get the background check that I paid for.

He obviously isn't a top immigration lawyer - there's no reason for him to fingerprint anybody and send anything to FBI. USCIS will do that themselves and it typically take way shorter time than one quoted. He is just purely scamming you by doing step that isn't necessary at all.

He obviously isn't a top immigration lawyer - there's no reason for him to fingerprint anybody and send anything to FBI. USCIS will do that themselves and it typically take way shorter time than one quoted. He is just purely scamming you by doing step that isn't necessary at all.

And I wonder what he is doing with the fingerprints and other info gathered for the background check. This could be part of an identity theft ring as well.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Who told you he was a "top immigration lawyer"? Why would you pay a lawyer to do an FBI background check when the government does their own checks when you file for AOS? You were scammed. BIG time. Just think about it....nothing about your question is accurate

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Everyone is talking about how you've been ripped off which I agree with BUT I'm more interested in your comment about if something comes back unfavorable. Are you anticipating such a problem with your husband's background check?

Edited by Ms Hogan

USCIS - 40 DAYS
2012-10-30: FedEx delivered I-130 to Chicago Lockbox Mail Room
2012-11-01: NOA1 by email - MSC
2012-11-02: $420 (x3) debited from our account
2012-11-05: NOA1 hard copies received, Priority Date 2012-10-30
2012-12-11: NOA2

NVC - 26 DAYS
2013-01-02: Rec'd case#, IIN, BIN & OPTIN emails for EP sent
2013-01-03: Submitted DS-261 (x3)
2013-01-07: AOS bills invoiced and paid & OPTIN for EP accepted for each of us
2013-01-08: AOS bills appear as paid & AOS packages sent by email
2013-01-08: IV bill invoiced & paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV bill appears as paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (kids only)
2013-01-11: AOS received -notified by email
2013-01-11: IV bill invoiced & paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV bill appears as paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV Supporting Docs received for kids - notified by email
2013-01-14: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (me only)
2013-01-18: IV Supporting Docs received for me - notified by email
2013-01-18: Son#1 CASE COMPLETE - Son#2 checklist - saying $ on I-864 don't match tax return (but they do)-resubmitted
2013-01-23: AOS 2nd submission for Son #2 received - notified by email
2013-01-25: My CASE COMPLETE
2013-01-28: ALL 3 OF OUR CASES ARE NOW COMPLETE
2013-02-06: Packet 4 Received by email

MEDICAL ~ CONSULATE ~ POE REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 160 DAYS NATURALIZATION
2013-02-13: Medicals 2014-12-17: Delivered to California Lockbox 2015-12-15: Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
2013-03-06: Interview 2014-12-19: 1 I-751 + 3 Biometrics Fees debited from our account 2015-12-16: Fees charged to Credit Card
2013-03-08: Visas in-hand 2014-12-22: Received NOA1 by mail. Receipt Date: 2014-12-17 2015-12-17: NOA
2013-03-12: Paid USCIS Immigrant Fee 2014-12-24: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter 2016-01-02: Biometrics Letter 2016-01-11: Biometrics
2013-03-14: POE 2015-01-06: Biometrics 2016-02-15: In Line for Interview 2016-02-19: Letter
2013-03-25: SSNs arrived 2015-05-27: Approved 2016-03-22: Interview
2013-04-01: Green Cards arrived 2015-06-03: New Green Cards arrived 2016-04-15: Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline

The information he gave you was false. There is no background check that is done BEFORE you apply for AOS. That is something that USCIS does and is covered by your filing fee. I would question whether that lawyer is really THE top immigration lawyer in DFW.

You can and should report him to the Texas Bar Association.

K-1

January 27, 2014 - Submitted I-129F

January 31, 2014 - NOA1

August 3, 2014- E service request submitted

August 15, 2014- E service request received back saying our case is in a processing hold due to "pending security checks"

September 3, 2014 - NOA2

September 5, 2014 - Case shipped to NVC

September 8, 2014 - NOA2 Hardcopy received

September 17, 2014- Case # assigned by NVC

September 19, 2014- Case shipped to Consulate from NVC

October 1, 2014 - Case status "Ready"

October 3, 2014 - Packet 3 received- K1 Instructions

October 15, 2014 - Packet 4 received- Appointment letter

November 4, 2014 - Interview- APPROVED!!!

November 13, 2014 - Visa in hand

November 25, 2014- POE in Washington, DC

December 18, 2014- Marriage at Courthouse

AOS

January 8, 2015- AOS NOA1

January 28, 2015- Biometrics appointment

March 4, 2015- EAD card in production

March 16, 2015- EAD card in hand

May 2015- Notice of Interview Waiver and case processing delay

September 10, 2015- RFE- lost packet given at POE! Have to redo the medical :/

October 28, 2015- Approval of AOS and card in production- online case status updated

November 2, 2015- Green card in hand!!

Filed: Timeline

To everyone who says I was scammed, I don't believe that is the case, however you all seem to be very convinced. This lawyer has been in practice in Dallas since 1982 with very few complaints registered against him. This is what happened (without putting too much out there): I went to this lawyer because I was married in July. When my husband came to the US in 2007 he came illegally and was caught once before re-entering. The lawyer told me that if he has an FBI record there will be SERIOUS issues like a possible 10 year ban to our petition. I did not want to spend the money to file the petition without first knowing if we were going to encounter that issue, because my own independent research showed that in some cases those sorts of things are not still on file with the FBI. The lawyer informed me that we could do the background check pre-emptively before spending a lot of time and heartache on a petition that would eventually be denied and therefore also potentially getting my husband deported for 10 years. So, we opted for the pre-emptive background check in an abundance of caution.

The lawyer DID advise me that it was possible to file the petition and continually delay it if there were a problem until immigration reform occurred or something changed. At that time, and at this time for that matter, I did not/do not want to risk it.

I realize that there are probably many opinions against my husband for his actions, but he was 17 at the time and most of his family was already here. Please keep your unhelpful comments to a minimum if possible, you're just going to hurt my feelings for no reason.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

It would be better to do a Freedom of Information Act request to CBP to see what they have on record. USCIS will check not only FBI records but their own internal records. If there is documentation that he was already removed previously and returned illegally prior to his ban being finished he no has a life-time ban with no hope for a waiver for 10 years. That 10 years doesn't start until he leaves the US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think anyone will make negative comments about the actions of a 17 year old HOWEVER, if you want useful advice from knowledgeable members it is important to share as much information as you can at the beginning of your new thread rather than waiting until you're two pages in. You didn't include key pieces to your question so everyone is responding based solely on what you asked. Your initial post was lacking all these details and only asking if the length of time for a background check was accurate. Your information is coming from a lawyer who charged you a lot of money. You are posting on a site dedicated to supporting people who are doing this on their own and not usually with the help of lawyers. Keep all of this in mind while reading the responses you get. Most of us are going to tell you that your lawyer did something that is not necessary and that they he charged you too much money for it.

Most people won't read all the responses and therefore will miss the additional information you've added so expect to get more of the same responses.

Your situation is not as clear-cut as the original post. Good luck with the next steps. Hopefully nothing comes back from the FBI check that will make your process more difficult than it already is.

USCIS - 40 DAYS
2012-10-30: FedEx delivered I-130 to Chicago Lockbox Mail Room
2012-11-01: NOA1 by email - MSC
2012-11-02: $420 (x3) debited from our account
2012-11-05: NOA1 hard copies received, Priority Date 2012-10-30
2012-12-11: NOA2

NVC - 26 DAYS
2013-01-02: Rec'd case#, IIN, BIN & OPTIN emails for EP sent
2013-01-03: Submitted DS-261 (x3)
2013-01-07: AOS bills invoiced and paid & OPTIN for EP accepted for each of us
2013-01-08: AOS bills appear as paid & AOS packages sent by email
2013-01-08: IV bill invoiced & paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV bill appears as paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (kids only)
2013-01-11: AOS received -notified by email
2013-01-11: IV bill invoiced & paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV bill appears as paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV Supporting Docs received for kids - notified by email
2013-01-14: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (me only)
2013-01-18: IV Supporting Docs received for me - notified by email
2013-01-18: Son#1 CASE COMPLETE - Son#2 checklist - saying $ on I-864 don't match tax return (but they do)-resubmitted
2013-01-23: AOS 2nd submission for Son #2 received - notified by email
2013-01-25: My CASE COMPLETE
2013-01-28: ALL 3 OF OUR CASES ARE NOW COMPLETE
2013-02-06: Packet 4 Received by email

MEDICAL ~ CONSULATE ~ POE REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 160 DAYS NATURALIZATION
2013-02-13: Medicals 2014-12-17: Delivered to California Lockbox 2015-12-15: Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
2013-03-06: Interview 2014-12-19: 1 I-751 + 3 Biometrics Fees debited from our account 2015-12-16: Fees charged to Credit Card
2013-03-08: Visas in-hand 2014-12-22: Received NOA1 by mail. Receipt Date: 2014-12-17 2015-12-17: NOA
2013-03-12: Paid USCIS Immigrant Fee 2014-12-24: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter 2016-01-02: Biometrics Letter 2016-01-11: Biometrics
2013-03-14: POE 2015-01-06: Biometrics 2016-02-15: In Line for Interview 2016-02-19: Letter
2013-03-25: SSNs arrived 2015-05-27: Approved 2016-03-22: Interview
2013-04-01: Green Cards arrived 2015-06-03: New Green Cards arrived 2016-04-15: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

To everyone who says I was scammed, I don't believe that is the case, however you all seem to be very convinced. This lawyer has been in practice in Dallas since 1982 with very few complaints registered against him. This is what happened (without putting too much out there): I went to this lawyer because I was married in July. When my husband came to the US in 2007 he came illegally and was caught once before re-entering. The lawyer told me that if he has an FBI record there will be SERIOUS issues like a possible 10 year ban to our petition. I did not want to spend the money to file the petition without first knowing if we were going to encounter that issue, because my own independent research showed that in some cases those sorts of things are not still on file with the FBI. The lawyer informed me that we could do the background check pre-emptively before spending a lot of time and heartache on a petition that would eventually be denied and therefore also potentially getting my husband deported for 10 years. So, we opted for the pre-emptive background check in an abundance of caution.

The lawyer DID advise me that it was possible to file the petition and continually delay it if there were a problem until immigration reform occurred or something changed. At that time, and at this time for that matter, I did not/do not want to risk it.

I realize that there are probably many opinions against my husband for his actions, but he was 17 at the time and most of his family was already here. Please keep your unhelpful comments to a minimum if possible, you're just going to hurt my feelings for no reason.

you are still defending a lawyer who charged you for an unneeded background check. I'm out

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.