liamworrad

k1 visa time help.

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi im in the process of a k1 visa and have sort of hit a wall, my fiancée lost her job and were at the part where I schedule my medical then interview, I would like to know is there any time limit I have to have my medical by, I dont want to have the case disappeared and have to start over, my fiancée is currently seeking a job. Thanks for your help, Liam.

Have you read the London K1 instructions? Did you get their letter? According to your timeline, your case hasn't even been to NVC yet.

Medical is not the first thing. You don't get to schedule your interview. You will get one assigned after you have completed the steps. Read them http://london.usembassy.gov/iv/fiance_instructions.html

To stall, then don't complete the steps quickly.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Ive read them all I forgot to update it I will now, sorry I think you misunderstood my question I was asking how long do I have to schedule my medical etc? I dont want to do the d-160 etc until my fiancée has a job as shes searching for one after losing her other one, I dont want to do the medical and get my interview scheduled for her to not get a job before that time. Thanks for your help.

And sorry yes ive received my letter.

I know what you are asking, but couldn't give a good answer without knowing exactly where you were in the timeline.

How about doing DS-160 in four weeks so they know you still want a visa. That let's them know you haven't abandoned. Then wait four more weeks before calling for a medical appointment. Go to the medical around first part of May. Then wait two weeks before sending in the readiness form. On it say you want to marry October 10. They won't rush to give you the first available interview when you don't need to be there until October. If you do get an interview assigned that is earlier than you want, then there is an online contact form with a tickbox to say you want to change your date. The only thing you need to watch is the medical is only good for six months, so it would have to be done again (parts of it) if you don't interview and have a visa before it expires. The visa is good for travel six months from the medical date, not six months from interview date.

Because your petition approval will expire around the end of April, your fiancé will have to mail you a new signed letter of intent to take to your interview to revalidate the petition. That is no problem at all and not a reason for one bit of concern.

If she gets a job, then speed up the timeline.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

I know what you are asking, but couldn't give a good answer without knowing exactly where you were in the timeline.

How about doing DS-160 in four weeks so they know you still want a visa. That let's them know you haven't abandoned. Then wait four more weeks before calling for a medical appointment. Go to the medical around first part of May. Then wait two weeks before sending in the readiness form. On it say you want to marry October 10. They won't rush to give you the first available interview when you don't need to be there until October. If you do get an interview assigned that is earlier than you want, then there is an online contact form with a tickbox to say you want to change your date. The only thing you need to watch is the medical is only good for six months, so it would have to be done again (parts of it) if you don't interview and have a visa before it expires. The visa is good for travel six months from the medical date, not six months from interview date.

Because your petition approval will expire around the end of April, your fiancé will have to mail you a new signed letter of intent to take to your interview to revalidate the petition. That is no problem at all and not a reason for one bit of concern.

If she gets a job, then speed up the timeline.

Thank you best answer I could wish for! Really appreciate it nich-nick. Thank you again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.