LibCampFireClub

VA Secretary Robert McDonald admits lying about Special Forces service

22 posts in this topic

Service in Ranger Regiment, yes. Passing Ranger School, no. 99%-ish of the infantry officers in the Army have been through that school...

99% of Infantry officers are Ranger qualified. Oh really ?

The point is, that he was a Special Ops qualified soldier and he was just trying to male a connection with a homeless vet. I.E. What unit were you in, etc, since he served at Bragg at was Ranger qualified i am sure he knew many in the Ranger Bn's etc.

His choice of words may have been poor, but he did not put it on a resume or do like Hillary and Williams and make some completely false claim.

You ever been stationed at Bragg or Benning etc ?

Edited by The Nature Boy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The point is, that he was a Special Ops qualified soldier and he was just trying to male a connection with a homeless vet. I.E. What unit were you in, etc, since he served at Bragg at was Ranger qualified i am sure he knew many in the Ranger Bn's etc.

His choice of words may have been poor, but he did not put it on a resume or do like Hillary and Williams and make some completely false claim.

All infantry O's are supposed to go through Ranger immediately following IBOLC. There are a small handful who somehow don't even get as far as RAP week and are sent on to follow on assignments without the school. The actual pass rate after that is about 95% (about one in every 20 is tabless).

Spent most of my time at Bragg and Drum (as a non-tabbed, non-infantry guy). Out of the dozens of 11A's I've known, exactly 3 didn't have a tab, and all 3 were on their way out of the infantry because career progression as a non-tabbed 11A is virtually non-existent after captain (a tabless LT will be extremely lucky and a top performer to get a PL slot anywhere, and a tabless CPT had best be looking at TRADOC or similar for company command because it won't happen in a line infantry unit). Passing Ranger School is no small accomplishment, but in the infantry world, the Ranger Tab isn't so much an accomplishment as it is an expectation.

Filed: Timeline

This is still some badass stuff, especially that water survival stuff.

d. CWSA (Combat Water Survival Assessment) Standard: The CWSA consists of three stations:
1. The Log Walk Rope Drop is the first obstacle that must be negotiated. This consist of climbing a 35’ tower, followed by walking 70’ across a log, negotiate three steps in
the center of the log climb out on a rope, commando crawl along the rope, over the
water, then drop the 35’ into the water. This is done wearing ACU’s, boots and a
Personnel Floatation Device (PFD)
2. The Ranger Candidate will then swim out of the pond and move to the Suspension traverse (Slide for Life) where he will climb a 75’ tower, slide 150 meters down a cable and release into the water when instructed. This is also done wearing a PFD.
3. The final assessment is the Removal of Equipment and 15 Meter Swim.
Equipment Removal: starting at the side of the pond the candidate will enter the water and immediately submerge, discard rifle and remove LCE then begin the 15 meter swim. The 15 Meter Swim out of the pond is conducted wearing ACUs and boots. (NO PFD) Any swim stroke is authorized except the back stroke.

NOTE: All swim events must be accomplished without showing fear.

http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/rtb/content/PDF/Ranger%20School%20Prep.pdf

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

That's reasonable and I agree with you.

However I wish that objectivity extended to other subjects.

This is still some badass stuff, especially that water survival stuff.

I have done all 3 of those events, at the Recondo School at Bragg They are not as bad ### as they sound.

I think the hard part of Ranger School from what they guys that have gone thru it say is the Long range patrols, lack of sleep, constant harassment etc.