4 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I have been quite baffled by all the different types of visas and I'm hoping I can get some guidance with the appropriate approach I should be taking.

I am a 20 year old Canadian citizen (living only 10 minutes from the US border) who just so happened to meet an American in Washington. I have been going to school taking many different English and communication courses. I've had a huge change of heart in regards to my future aspirations and have decided that I wanna dedicate my life to animal welfare related work. I've always loved animals and find saving animals quite rewarding. I've been doing a lot of research and putting time into it and have decided that the best place I'd want to be living is in Washington. There is not a lot of opportunity in the area I live and I don't wanna be too far away from my family either. If I lived in the same city as my boyfriend I would only be 2.5 hours from my hometown. My boyfriend and I have been talking about trying to live with each other in the fall.

Here's where it begins to get confusing and a little frustrating to figure out. I would love to take an online animal welfare program. I am trying to decide if it would be easiest to sign up for a Canadian program with a certificate that would be accepted with humane society's in the US and then bring my books with me to the US and work on my program there while on a visitors visa for six months and then come back to Canada after that and see if I want to further my education and come back on a student visa for more schooling. I don't think I can get a student visa to take any online courses in the US so I'm assuming my only real option is a visitors visa to get me to experience living with my boyfriend and living in the states. If I could get a visitor visa and go stay with my boyfriend I'd like to volunteer at shelters and get some experience in because I know I wouldn't be able to work while I'm there on any current attainable visas at this stage of my life.

We don't plan on getting married anytime soon so I don't see getting one of those fiancé visas or marriage ones as an option for another year or two. As far as money goes my parents are very supportive in getting me through education and helping with living expenses so I would have support if I wasn't able to work during my stay.

Would my best option be to come down on a visitor visa and do my online courses and then come back to Canada and if I want to continue my education I apply for a student visa and if I don't wanna do anymore education I just live in Canada until my boyfriend and I decide to get engaged? I know becoming a US citizen isn't the easiest thing but I want to know what my best option would be.

Also, if I were to marry my boyfriend and become a US citizen, would I lose my Canadian citizenship?

Thanks in advance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You would not be issued a student visa for online classes. Your only option seems to bee enroll in a Canadian school and visit the US. Be sure not to overstay nor stay too long as to lose your provincial health care or be considered a resident for tax purposes.

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

I have been quite baffled by all the different types of visas and I'm hoping I can get some guidance with the appropriate approach I should be taking.

I am a 20 year old Canadian citizen (living only 10 minutes from the US border) who just so happened to meet an American in Washington. I have been going to school taking many different English and communication courses. I've had a huge change of heart in regards to my future aspirations and have decided that I wanna dedicate my life to animal welfare related work. I've always loved animals and find saving animals quite rewarding. I've been doing a lot of research and putting time into it and have decided that the best place I'd want to be living is in Washington. There is not a lot of opportunity in the area I live and I don't wanna be too far away from my family either. If I lived in the same city as my boyfriend I would only be 2.5 hours from my hometown. My boyfriend and I have been talking about trying to live with each other in the fall.

Here's where it begins to get confusing and a little frustrating to figure out. I would love to take an online animal welfare program. I am trying to decide if it would be easiest to sign up for a Canadian program with a certificate that would be accepted with humane society's in the US and then bring my books with me to the US and work on my program there while on a visitors visa for six months and then come back to Canada after that and see if I want to further my education and come back on a student visa for more schooling. I don't think I can get a student visa to take any online courses in the US so I'm assuming my only real option is a visitors visa to get me to experience living with my boyfriend and living in the states. If I could get a visitor visa and go stay with my boyfriend I'd like to volunteer at shelters and get some experience in because I know I wouldn't be able to work while I'm there on any current attainable visas at this stage of my life.

We don't plan on getting married anytime soon so I don't see getting one of those fiancé visas or marriage ones as an option for another year or two. As far as money goes my parents are very supportive in getting me through education and helping with living expenses so I would have support if I wasn't able to work during my stay.

Would my best option be to come down on a visitor visa and do my online courses and then come back to Canada and if I want to continue my education I apply for a student visa and if I don't wanna do anymore education I just live in Canada until my boyfriend and I decide to get engaged? I know becoming a US citizen isn't the easiest thing but I want to know what my best option would be.

Also, if I were to marry my boyfriend and become a US citizen, would I lose my Canadian citizenship?

Thanks in advance!

As "Smiley-one" mentioned you won't lose your canadian citizenship bcoz Canada allows dual citizenship

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.