Tarik

Dual citizenship question.

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi.

I passed my interview and I'm scheduled for the oath ceremony this Thursday. I have a quick question about dual citizenship I hope somebody can help me with.

I did some research and I found out my country Morocco allows dual citizenship , My question is what do I need to do to maintain my Moroccan citizenship along with my new American citizenship ? Is there anything I have to do ? or do I automatically remain Moroccan citizen ?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi.

I passed my interview and I'm scheduled for the oath ceremony this Thursday. I have a quick question about dual citizenship I hope somebody can help me with.

I did some research and I found out my country Morocco allows dual citizenship , My question is what do I need to do to maintain my Moroccan citizenship along with my new American citizenship ? Is there anything I have to do ? or do I automatically remain Moroccan citizen ?

Hello Tarik,

First of all, congratulations on your interview and wish you the best for the rest!. Actually, the US immigration law have not explicit mention of dual citizenship but the DOS website gives a little litterature on this. I think you will need to check with your country's constitution and see the article on acquiring a new nationality since the process varies from one country to the other. some people I know did not have to do anything at all after their US naturalization. You just keep your original nationality as you always had. You will just have to comply with the laws of both lands. If you decide to go live in your original country, you will still need to pay US Taxes even if you do not live here and you cannot engage in anything illigal in the US law even if you live in your original country where such acts are not illigal. Same thing will apply vis versa.

Edited by Alphonse

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Thanks for the info I appreciate it :).. I don't plan on moving back to my original country till I'm too old to do anything illegal lol.. I was told at my interview to keep my passport because I can still use it to enter Morocco.

I'm gonna be getting an US passport as well, so I think it's gonna be nice to have 2 passports :D..

Edited by Tarik

If those who have greater info about this subject I would really love the additional information as well. Its something I've been thinking about for my future family. My future husband is Moroccan and he is the oldest son, I want to make sure any children we have are recognized and have rights to all that they are entitled to as his children and also for me as his wife. I would love to know what he needs to do to maintain his citizenship and if that is wise also what we would need to do for any children that we would have. I would also consider obtaining Moroccan citizenship (how would I do that as his spouse).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.