Pheebs1201

Bank account in Oregon

25 posts in this topic

In preparation for my move to Oregon, Dan has been trying to scope out a US bank or credit union that will allow me to open an account on my K1 visa (I already have a SSN from previous summer camp J1's) but so far he has been told that without a US driving license as another form of ID, I cannot do so. (This includes joining his account).

Can anyone make a recommendation of a bank that may allow me to open an account with an SSN, my visa and my UK passport? Has anyone had success at a particular bank in the past? I won't be taking my driving test until my EAD comes through and would like to have a bank account ASAP.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Immigration Timeline

June 2013: Met whilst working at a summer camp in Michigan 

K1

November 1st 2014: I-129f submitted for K1 visa

February 24th 2015: Visa in hand!

February 26th 2015: POE at Las Vegas airport, then onwards to Oregon! 

March 6th 2015: Marriage (with a "real" wedding to follow next year on 7/6/2016)

March 9th 2015: AOS, EAD & AP submitted

September 22nd 2015: Interview

January 14th 2016: Two year Green card received -phew!

ROC

August 8th 2017: 90 day window begins! ROC time!

September 28th 2017: Biometric Appointment in Portland, OR

March 5th 2018: Case received by local office

August 18th 2018: 18 month extension letter mailed

December 2018: Case moved to another office

February 2019: I was emailed that I was approved and my card was in production the same day of my N400 interview 😂

N400

August 8th 2018: Window opens to submit naturalization application

August 13th 2018: N400 Application submitted online 

August 14th 2018: NOA1

September 6th 2018: Biometrics

February 6th 2019: Interview Date! APPROVED!

February 6th 2019: I was asked to return later the same day for my Oath Ceremony! :dance:

❤️ Our Visa Journey is finally complete ❤️

I am the Beneficiary

I had no difficulties opening an account up in the USA, the only thing, is I had to use my former UK address to by pass the fact I didnt have a social security number or such. However my bank statements come to my address in the USA They said I could change that once I got my ssn and GC. I don't know if that is the case in a different state though.

Edited by shell20

Removal of Conditions..  TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK

Time to reset the tick tock clock again.   Roll my eyes.

GC  Conditional date:  05/26/2015

N400.  Application:      02/28/2018       

Biometrics:                    02/22/2018

Waiting............    Roll my eyes again :(

USA citizen as of 25th of July 2018. :)

The bank is wrongly applying the "Know your Client" part of the Patriot Act when it relates to opening a bank account! I had no problem getting my bank account with SSN and UK Passport.

http://www.ffiec.gov/bsa_aml_infobase/pages_manual/olm_011.htm

Customer Information Required

The CIP must contain account-opening procedures detailing the identifying information that must be obtained from each customer.45When an individual opens a new account for an entity that is not a legal person or for another individual who lacks legal capacity, the identifying information for the individual opening the account must be obtained. In contrast, when an account is opened by an agent on behalf of another person, the bank must obtain the identifying information of the person on whose behalf the account is being opened. At a minimum, the bank must obtain the following identifying information from each customer before opening the account:46For credit card customers, the bank may obtain identifying information from a third-party source before extending credit.

• Name.
  • Date of birth for individuals.
  • Address.47For an individual: a residential or business street address, or if the individual does not have such an address, an Army Post Office (APO) or Fleet Post Office (FPO) box number, the residential or business street address of next of kin or of another contact individual, or a description of the customer's physical location. For a "person" other than an individual (such as a corporation, partnership, or trust): a principal place of business, local office, or other physical location.
  • Identification number.48An identification number for a U.S. person is a taxpayer identification number (TIN) (or evidence of an application for one), and an identification number for a non-U.S. person is one or more of the following: a TIN; a passport number and country of issuance; an alien identification card number; or a number and country of issuance of any other unexpired government-issued document evidencing nationality or residence and bearing a photograph or similar safeguard. TIN is defined by section 6109 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (26 USC 6109) and the IRS regulations implementing that section (e.g., Social Security number (SSN), individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN), or employer identification number).

Based on its risk assessment, a bank may require identifying information in addition to the items above for certain customers or product lines.

Customer Verification

The CIP must contain risk-based procedures for verifying the identity of the customer within a reasonable period of time after the account is opened. The verification procedures must use "the information obtained in accordance with [31 CFR 1020.100] paragraph (a)(2)(i)," namely the identifying information obtained by the bank. A bank need not establish the accuracy of every element of identifying information obtained, but it must verify enough information to form a reasonable belief that it knows the true identity of the customer. The bank’s procedures must describe when it will use documents, nondocumentary methods, or a combination of both.

Verification Through Documents

A bank using documentary methods to verify a customer’s identity must have procedures that set forth the minimum acceptable documentation. The CIP rule gives examples of types of documents that have long been considered primary sources of identification. The rule reflects the federal banking agencies’ expectations that banks will review an unexpired government-issued form of identification from most customers. This identification must provide evidence of a customer’s nationality or residence and bear a photograph or similar safeguard; examples include a driver’s license or passport. However, other forms of identification may be used if they enable the bank to form a reasonable belief that it knows the true identity of the customer. Nonetheless, given the availability of counterfeit and fraudulently obtained documents, a bank is encouraged to review more than a single document to ensure that it has a reasonable belief that it knows the customer’s true identity.

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bolivia
Timeline

TD Bank will allow you to open an account

K1 VISA

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Bolivia

I-129F Sent : 2014-06-02

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-06-10

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-12-04

HARDCOPY OF NOA2: 2014-12-09
SENT TO NVC: 2014-12-09
RECEIVED AT NVC: 2014-12-16
CASE NUMBER: 2014-12-16
CASE SENT TO EMBASSY: 2014-12-19
EMBASSY RECEIVED: 2014-12-29
MEDICAL BOOKED: 2014-01-14
INTERVIEW DATE: 2015-01-28
VISA APPROVED!!!
VISA RECEIVED: 2015-02-10

AOS PACKAGE
AOS, AP, & EAD Sent: 2015-04-28
AOS, AP, & EAD Received: 2015-04-30
NOA1: 2015-05-04
BIOMETRICS: 2015-05-26
EAD APPROVED: 2015-07-13
NOA2 HARD COPY: 2015-07-18
EAD COMBO CARD RECEIVED: 2015-07-24
SOCIAL SECURITY RECEIVED: 2015-08-03
NOTICE OF POTENTIAL INTERVIEW WAIVER RECEIVED: 2015-09-14
AOS APPROVED: 2015-10-07
WELCOME NOTICE RECEIVED: 2015-10-13

GREEN CARD RECEIVED: 2015-10-19

I-751 PACKAGE
I-751 Sent: 2017-10-03
I-751 Received: 2017-10-04
NOA1: 2017-10-05
BIOMETRICS: 2017-10-31

Thanks for the input guys, we have tried onpoint credit union with no luck :( she also said if my UK passport isn't in my married name it won't be accepted, is this correct? I thought I could wait until it needed renewing.

TD Bank will allow you to open an account

I don't think there are any in Oregon.

Immigration Timeline

K1

March 6th 2015: Marriage (with a "real" wedding to follow next year on 7/6/2016)

ROC

February 2019: I was emailed that I was approved and my card was in production the same day of my N400 interview 😂

N400

February 6th 2019: I was asked to return later the same day for my Oath Ceremony! :dance:

I am the Beneficiary

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I was able to open an account online (Online Checking) but I was given the runaround as my SSN was not able to bring up enough Identification Info.

I haven't tried a joint account, but I know that you should be able to open a joint account regardless of what your name is at the time. In fact, I'd almost say you'd want to keep your UK passport with your Maiden Name until you AOS as it seems to make the entire process less of a headache. (At least from what I have seen here on VJ).

Thanks for the input guys, we have tried onpoint credit union with no luck :( she also said if my UK passport isn't in my married name it won't be accepted, is this correct? I thought I could wait until it needed renewing.

I don't think there are any in Oregon.

It's kind of up to the bank to have in place how they will identify their customers to be in compliance with the Patriot Act. They are supposed to have their written procedure. Maybe he can ask for it in writing and review exactly what they have adopted. Perhaps most people have a driver license so the clerk thinks that's what is required. Maybe there is actually another way.

This is a Texas document but it explains the federal charge to all banks about a written policy. Maybe that will help you understand the banks requirement and come up with an argument with somebody supervisory at his current bank. http://www.texasappleseed.net/pdf/projects_immigrantAccess_deposit_account.pdf

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

It's kind of up to the bank to have in place how they will identify their customers to be in compliance with the Patriot Act. They are supposed to have their written procedure. Maybe he can ask for it in writing and review exactly what they have adopted. Perhaps most people have a driver license so the clerk thinks that's what is required. Maybe there is actually another way.

That is exactly why I went with an "online only" bank. I figured they would be the ones who would know what to ask as they are more likely to see it come up more. Maybe try contacting the bank via internet (chat or email) and see if they give you in writting what you need. That was how I was able to open my first account... Hoping the joint account will be much easier.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Banks will have their own policies, and the tend to vary.

I suggest have your husband/boyfriend sign you up and have some type of mail delivered to your address in USA in your maiden name. I had requested some online information from the Texas Board of Nursing in my fiancé name. Get your SSN a couple days after you arrive also.

Go to your local bank with your paperwork, SSN card and envelope from SSN, your other mail in your name, and take your passport, this should be enough to get account opened and separate joint account. IF you want it in your married name, take your marriage license and then change it....

Initially I was put onto my husbands account (Chase) using my maiden name, as my only form of photo ID was of course in my maiden name. As soon as I got my EAD we went back into the bank and they changed my name to my married name.

They needed my social security number and official proof of my address in the US, for this I used my letter sent with the social security card but also had my letter from USCIS sent to my US address (AOS notification) with me. They also took details of my UK address which they need until I'm a permanent resident and my UK national insurance number (I'm not entirley sure why).

AOS

23-10-2014 : Submitted to Chicago Lockbox via USPS

29-10-2014 : NOA-1

21-11-2014 : Biometrics

31-12-2014 : EAD approved and card in production (approved in 69 days)

09-01-2015 : EAD card received

22-07-2015 : AOS interview

K1 Visa

06-01-2014 : Submitted I-129F to Dallas Lockbox via USPS

10-01-2014 : Received delivery confirmation

13-01-2014 : NOA-1

15-01-2014 : Alien registration number changed

14-02-2014 : NOA-2 (approved in 32 days)

21-02-2014 : NOA-2 (hardcopy)

27-02-2014 : NVC Received

03-03-2014 : NVC Left

07-03-2014 : Embassy Received

21-03-2014 : Packet 3 Received

27-03-2014 : Packet 3 Sent

09-04-2014 : Medical

17-04-2014 : Packet 4 Received

23-05-2014 : Interview - Approved

28-05-2014 : Ceac Status - AP

29-05-2014 : Ceac Status - Issued

03-06-2014 : Visa in hand

16-09-2014 : POE

27-09-2014 : Wedding (L)

My transition from Britain to Americahttps://abitofenglishblog.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the advice guys! I already have an SSN so I will try again once I have my marriage license!

Immigration Timeline

K1

ROC

N400

I am the Beneficiary

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Since you already have a SSN go to the DMV with your I-94 and get an ID. My wife got her learners permit right away because financially it makes more sense but if you just want to get an ID just do that. With your Oregon ID go to a bank and open an account. I don't see why that would not work but who knows. We are actually going to be going and opening an account this week so i will let you know if it worked.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.