pesos

5 year visa, but passport stamp only says 2 years?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi all,

My mother in law is here on a 5 year work visa... however the other day when we went to help her get a drivers license the dmv pointed out that her passport entry is stamped February 2014 and under "until" it's written February 2016... so the license would only be issued with a validity period of 2 years.

I'm assuming that this means that although the visa is good for 2 years, upon entry she gets an initial status period of 2 years - and then she needs to do some kind of extension from here in the states?

Filed: Timeline

Hi all,

My mother in law is here on a 5 year work visa... however the other day when we went to help her get a drivers license the dmv pointed out that her passport entry is stamped February 2014 and under "until" it's written February 2016... so the license would only be issued with a validity period of 2 years.

I'm assuming that this means that although the visa is good for 2 years, upon entry she gets an initial status period of 2 years - and then she needs to do some kind of extension from here in the states?

It is at the discretion of the admitting officer, to either stamp length of status, or for a lesser periond. While the Visa is good for 5 years, the I-94 determines her length of stay. She can get that extended.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

She has to renew it after 2 years after entering based on her I-94. The 5 years is how long the visa is good for.

Its kinda like having a 10 years visitor visa. It doesn't mean that the person can visit for 10 years. Each visit is limited by the I-94.

http://www.aboutvisas.com/about-visas/temporary-visas/e1-and-e2-visas-for-traders-investors-step-by-step/

Often a five-year visa; admission for two years at a time

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Sounds good - I'm not finding info on how to extend that though - is it through uscis?

She does by leaving the US and seek to reenter under the E visa. It will be up to CBP to establish how long she can stay because they have 100% discretion on how long the I-94 is good for. Reentry is not automatic. She may be asked to provide evidence why she needs another 2 years.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Definitely something she needs to discuss with her Employers Lawyer, when is she next going home?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.