rob999

TSC K1 Backlog - what can we do? (For TSC non-expedites only)

92 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I've written a couple letters to my representatives, but I keep deleting them because I don't simply want them to call up TSC, say "Do this petition," and then come back saying it's all good to go. That won't fix the problem and it's unfair to the people who've been waiting longer than me. Finally I decided to simply say that--I don't want them to expedite my petition, I want them to investigate the backlog and tell me what they're going to do to fix it. And it'll also let them know about my case, so if in a few more months nothing changes, they'll have past letters from me knowing I've contacted them about it before. I'm not sure what it might bring about, but I'm hopeful it'll get more people on board with correcting things at TSC. I don't want to cut in line. I just want the line to move faster for all of us.

Anyways, I'm going to send it off today, so I'll let you all know if I get anything back (which I probably will, in a few weeks or so).

09/06/2013: Along Came a Relationship

04/16/2014: When Darren Met Harel (in person for the first time)

08/14/2014: The Proposal (but in Mexico, not Alaska)

02/27/2015: Flight of the Application

03/03/2015: Reception (Christopher NOA1an's latest masterpiece)

09/25/2015: 205 Days Later (NOA2)

05/11/20116: Engagement ended for familial reasons

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Thanks for doing that.More the merrier. I've contacting my senators and so far i've got canned email responses.."thank you for contacting..." blah. No action.

Does anyone on this forum have media contacts that can get the TSC story out? I think we should send flowers and chocolates to TSC collectively..like folks did few years ago. Something to rattle those cages.

Love is the shortest distance between two hearts.”

Timeline

Thanks for doing that.More the merrier. I've contacting my senators and so far i've got canned email responses.."thank you for contacting..." blah. No action.

Does anyone on this forum have media contacts that can get the TSC story out? I think we should send flowers and chocolates to TSC collectively..like folks did few years ago. Something to rattle those cages.

I expect a positive response from each of my representatives--they're all Republicans, and I'm in a same-sex relationship, so clearly they each stand to gain a voter (and all my friends, through word of mouth) if they make things happen. I wrote to them before filing, asking what sort of services they could provide in assistance, and it was a good way to feel them out--and their reactions clearly came across party lines: the one Democrat (whose since been ousted, though I wish that weren't the case) had by far the weakest response of the three because she stood to gain the least from any expenditure of effort on my behalf.

So, as I said, we'll see what happens. Perhaps it's because I've got a degree in political science, but any sort of collective action or policy work I do feels like an engaging game of chess--each move is a commitment to strategy, and only if I move my pieces the right way, can I win the game.

If nothing else, it makes the waiting more amusing.

As far as media contacts, it'd be great to know if there were other TSC filers from North Carolina. We've got a local news station here in the Piedmont that often does "investigative journalism" around issues such as this, and if there were a handful of us, we could petition our plight as a potential story.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope so!

Edited by swji89

Naturalization Timeline

N-400 app submitted/received: August 22, 2020

Biometric reuse notification: October 22, 2020

Interview Scheduled: November 5, 2020

Interview Date: December 7, 2020 - SUCCESS!

Oath Ceremony mistakenly scheduled (then descheduled!): December 8, 2020

Oath Ceremony Scheduled: December 9, 2020

Scheduled Oath Ceremony: January 8, 2021

ROC Timeline

I-797/NOA 1: January 12, 2018

Biometrics appointment: February 22, 2018

18-month I-797: August 10 2018

AOS Timeline

NOA 1 for I-485 and I-765: November 9, 2015

Biometrics appointment: December 2, 2015

RFE for I-485: December 3, 2015

EAD card and approval notice received: February 16, 2016

2-year conditional Green Card received: March 26, 2016

K-1 Timeline
NOA 1: December 8, 2014
NOA 2: June, 2015

Packet 3 received: July, 2015
Medical: August 12, 2015
Packet 4 received: September 23, 2015
Interview: September 25, 2015
Visa received: October 2, 2015

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Why do you guys say that? I'm on my phone and can't read timeline data, are they processing that many more per day?

Because my timeline keeps shaving off days. :-) it looks like based on Igors list that they are processing November 8th, 2014.

Mine's gone up three days again since earlier in the week...

Naturalization Timeline

N-400 app submitted/received: August 22, 2020

Biometric reuse notification: October 22, 2020

Interview Scheduled: November 5, 2020

Interview Date: December 7, 2020 - SUCCESS!

Oath Ceremony mistakenly scheduled (then descheduled!): December 8, 2020

Oath Ceremony Scheduled: December 9, 2020

Scheduled Oath Ceremony: January 8, 2021

ROC Timeline

I-797/NOA 1: January 12, 2018

Biometrics appointment: February 22, 2018

18-month I-797: August 10 2018

AOS Timeline

NOA 1 for I-485 and I-765: November 9, 2015

Biometrics appointment: December 2, 2015

RFE for I-485: December 3, 2015

EAD card and approval notice received: February 16, 2016

2-year conditional Green Card received: March 26, 2016

K-1 Timeline
NOA 1: December 8, 2014
NOA 2: June, 2015

Packet 3 received: July, 2015
Medical: August 12, 2015
Packet 4 received: September 23, 2015
Interview: September 25, 2015
Visa received: October 2, 2015

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I totally understand your frustration and all I can say is to hang in there because you are in the same place as many of us. USICS is totally not fair and I also have seen cases that have filed ahead of me already approved. Don't get me started about the CSC where those that have recently filed have already been approved. It is 179 days and we are still waiting and growing older by the minute. You are not alone.

I-129F Sent: January 20, 2015

I-129F Received: January 21, 2015

NOA1 Text & E-mail Received: January 23, 2015

NOA1 Hardcopy Received: January 31, 2015

NOA2 Message Received July 27, 2015

Our NOA1 notice date is March 11, 2015. We have heard yet. What angers me is that i have seen cases that were filed after ours and are at TSC and they have already been approved. I even have case number of one. USCIS says they service on a first come, first served ibasis. I debated that with a USCIS rep many times. My fiance is from the Philippines and i have heard whispers that Filipinos get quicker turn arounds. I am here to tell you that is not our experience. In an effort to get more information from USCIS, i asked if our seemingly long "nothing" period is due to us being same sex. She said no. VJ folks, in no way am i claiming discrimination atall. It was a thought provoking question i wanted to catch a customer rep off guard with. We have had no RFE's either. We interviewed and selected an agency in PI that does visas. I brought all i needed when i was there on vacation in Feb-March 2015. My partner had everything he needed prior to my arrival as well.

In closing i have come to believe that the customer service reps at USCIS are useless. We cannot do anything until we are past normal "processing times" whatever the heck that means. This is the most overwhelming experience i have ever dealt with in my life- on every level....it does take it's toll. My partner and i have agreed to essentially believe that he will not be arriving in Massachusetts until February of 2016. If the US government can make systems so tens of millions of citizens can track their tax returns with the press of a button, why can't USCIS have a system where the LEAST they can do is tell us where our case is and the status thus far.

I will continue to hurry up and wait!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Brian: There is another same sex couple on here that filed after me and got approved already so trust me there is no discrimination on anyone's part there. I see unfairness

all around here but there is nothing else to do other than contact your congressman which I recently have done. I am now at the six month mark and have heard nothing. My fiancé from Holland came to spend a month here with me in May and we even thought we would hear something during the time he was here. Nada. So hang around the Visa Journey forum and meet some of us but I will warn you try not to get too upset when you see those that have filed after us already approved. Hey, you may even get approved before me! I'll try not to be upset with you though. :)

I-129F Sent: January 20, 2015

I-129F Received: January 21, 2015

NOA1 Text & E-mail Received: January 23, 2015

NOA1 Hardcopy Received: January 31, 2015

NOA2 Message Received July 27, 2015

Our NOA1 notice date is March 11, 2015. We have heard yet. What angers me is that i have seen cases that were filed after ours and are at TSC and they have already been approved. I even have case number of one. USCIS says they service on a first come, first served ibasis. I debated that with a USCIS rep many times. My fiance is from the Philippines and i have heard whispers that Filipinos get quicker turn arounds. I am here to tell you that is not our experience. In an effort to get more information from USCIS, i asked if our seemingly long "nothing" period is due to us being same sex. She said no. VJ folks, in no way am i claiming discrimination atall. It was a thought provoking question i wanted to catch a customer rep off guard with. We have had no RFE's either. We interviewed and selected an agency in PI that does visas. I brought all i needed when i was there on vacation in Feb-March 2015. My partner had everything he needed prior to my arrival as well.

In closing i have come to believe that the customer service reps at USCIS are useless. We cannot do anything until we are past normal "processing times" whatever the heck that means. This is the most overwhelming experience i have ever dealt with in my life- on every level....it does take it's toll. My partner and i have agreed to essentially believe that he will not be arriving in Massachusetts until February of 2016. If the US government can make systems so tens of millions of citizens can track their tax returns with the press of a button, why can't USCIS have a system where the LEAST they can do is tell us where our case is and the status thus far.

Brian: It is highly likely that the persons being approved after you and ''claiming'' to be at TSC, are not actually at TSC, but CSC or were expedited in some manner. Ultimately, the USCIS is not a taxpayer funded agency.. they don't have any real watchdog goading them to change policies and procedures, and largely do as they please. The only person with full power to change the process is the President. He's aware of what's going on, believe me.

And yes, the USCIS customer service hotline is something akin to having a root canal with no needles. ;) Stay away until you actually have got some recourse to go for a tier 2 agent, otherwise they will keep smiling, nodding, and being obnoxious. In lieu of that, your elected representative will be your next best hope, with no guarantee.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

None of those people are not at TSC, seriously. If you don't believe us, choose a few of them, PM them, ask them what the letters in their recipt number are. SRC is Texas, WAC is California. You will be hard-pressed to find a single Texas March filer who has been approved. We can go through one-by-one if you like.

Those people just confused because they sent their petition to a Lockbox in Texas, and so they think that they're at the Texas Service Center. They're not. Some of them live in the states covered by CSC and what's more... if they applied after March 27, literally 100% of them are at CSC. Do you understand the difference? Everyone sends the file to Dallas Lockbox. Lockbox sends it to either TSC or CSC for processing.

Up until March 27, this decision was made based on the state of the petitioner. TSC has a 7 month-long backlog, CSC has no backlog. After months and months and months of a lot of people here and elsewhere working really hard to call attention to this issue, USCIS "fixed" it by having the lockbox route all new applications to CSC starting March 27. That did literally nothing to help the rest of us already in line at TSC (they didn't transfer anyone to the faster line). So our advocacy didn't help us, but it helped all of them, and now they're the ones creating all this confusion with the VJ data. I try to not think about it too much.

There are almost 0 March TSC filers who have been approved. And there are literally 0 April, May, June or July TSC filers approved because there are literally 0 April, May, June or July TSC filers. Anyone claiming otherwise on here is either confused or the unluckiest person in the K1 process right now.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I mentioned previously sending letters to my representatives in Congress asking for their help determining the causes of the backlog at TSC and what's being done to fix it. I figure it's about time I followed up on that.

First, Representative Renee Ellmers, whose office was very responsive to me during her election campaign when I initially asked if they would be able to help during the filing process (but had been very adamant that me and my fiance, as a same-sex couple, could not get married in North Carolina), has not made any response at all. It's now been two months. Given that same-sex marriage is legal in NC now (and everywhere else) and that she's not currently campaigning for votes, I presume she simply doesn't care about me as a constituent anymore. Even with any constiuent services, I would not end up supporting her, so I'm politically worthless. So, therefore, so is she, because she has one job (to represent her constituents) and clearly she isn't doing that.

Next, I had also previously contact Senator Richard Burr. He wrote back misunderstanding my situation (with the assumption I had already filed), but he personalized the letter with my fiance's name so I had higher hopes for my second contact. His office responded with the privacy release, I filled it out, and some three or four weeks later I got a generic chain message about TSC's processing times. They did not offer any further support, and they completely ignored talking about the backlog and/or what's being done to resolve it.

Finally, I was in touch with Senator Thom Tillis, the new addition to the Senate from North Carolina. He was a staunch opponent of same-sex marriage, and as a Republican, inclined to oppose immigration as well, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Surprisingly, his office was the most responsive. I received an email to sign the privacy release, which I did the day I received it, and within a week I received a phonecall from one of his local staff members saying she'd been in touch with TSC and since my petition was within standard processing times, there was nothing more they could do (however, she did say she would keep checking on our case every thirty days--that time is coming up quickly and I've yet to hear another response, so we'll see), but that if we reach six months, they'll be able to "pull the petition," which I guess means expedite it? In any case, I was somewhat surprised how it took nearly a month for Burr to get a generic message from TSC, but Tillis was able to get in contact with them within a week; possibly it's because Tillis stands more to gain, as a new senator, building constitutuent relationships than Burr does, so his office is working especially hard to achieve this? He may also be in need ot positive public feedback from same-sex couples to salvage his image from his recent campaigning since same-sex marraige is now legal. I can't be certain. However, even while on the phone, I pressed for information about the backlog and what's being done to fix it, and my requests were immediately dismissed.

So now I feel out of options, since whereas I had complete confidence in the political process, it seems to have failed where I needed it to succeed. I'm considering penning a letter to the president, as he's the only other human being I can think of who might be worth contacting. What do all of you think? Is it worth it?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.