Bjorn&lyne

Difference between USCIS AoS medical requirements and St Lukes medical requirements

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am confused about the AoS medical, since it has different requirement than St Lukes. The USCIS instructions state that the medical taken overseas, for example for the K1 visa, is valid for one year. However, the USCIS medical requirements for AoS are different than the St Lukes medical exam for K1.

According to St Lukes, the "Tuberculin Skin Test - Required for applicants 2-14 years of age."

As such, my fiancee never took that during her St Lukes medical for K1 visa.

However, according to the USCIS website, it states

"Under the May 2008 TB Component of the Technical Instructions for the Medical Examination of Aliens in the United States, and its updates, all applicants for adjustment of status are screened for TB, unless they are too young. Initial screening tests are required for all applicants ages 2 years or older."

This means to file AoS my fiancee needs this test and her St Lukes medical is this not adequate despite being less than one year, due to requirement differences.

Since there are different requirements, how then can the USCIS approve the St Lukes medical exam for the AoS filing since the USCIS requires - according to its own stated rules - a TB test for all applicants over age 2 while St Lukes does not do that test for applicants over 14?

Can someone shed light on this?

Edited by Bjorn&lyne

Do not confuse to two requirements between USCIS and SLEC. At SLEC She will take a TB test which is an X-ray. Based on what they see on the xray determines if she will have additional testing. If the testing is negative then the vaccinations are given and she is then free to go for the visa interview meaning she has passed her medical and does not have TB. If they hold her for additional testing that will be a different process altogether.

Children ages 2-14 will have the skin test or what is commonly called a PPD test (pure protein derivatives PPD is a test for exposure to TB bacteria and is not a confirmation that the patient has TB). I think you are overthinking the process.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

Thanks! I am getting confused because the Civil Surgeon I contacted in my home town said fiancee needs PPD and Syphilis tests still, regardless of St Lukes, but I suspect that the Civil Surgeon is trying to make a few extra bucks on us on something my fiancee already tested for at St Lukes, tests which are still valid for filing AoS.

Edited by Bjorn&lyne

Bjorn&lyne, on 29 Jan 2015 - 8:49 PM, said:

Thanks! I am getting confused because the Civil Surgeon I contacted in my home town said fiancée needs PPD and Syphilis tests still, regardless of St Luke's, but I suspect that the Civil Surgeon is trying to make a few extra bucks on us on something my fiancée already tested for at St Luke's, tests which are still valid for filing AOS.

If she had all the test and received all the vaccinations and your I-3025 is complete there is no need to see a civil servant. Besides, you are correct he is just milking you.

You do not need the medical exam tests repeated. If your medical was done within a year of filing for AOS, that is all you need. You just need the vaccinations to be completed.

You can use the I-693 instructions, Page 5 #3 > http://www.uscis.gov...QA-11-13-12.pdf

Attach all three to your I-485 submission and you should fly through with no RFE for medical.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

Thanks! I am totally clear now, and will let Civil Surgeon know that fiancee does not need anything but a couple vaccinations, but no tests.

Its also much cheaper the vaccine if you just go to any health clinic in your county instead of civil surgeon..i did complete my vaccine in health clinic here in michigan.. Edited by hardrockangel

Timeline

Its also much cheaper the vaccine if you just go to any health clinic in your county instead of civil surgeon..i did complete my vaccine in health clinic here in michigan..

Thanks for that great advice!

Bjorn&lyne, on 29 Jan 2015 - 9:14 PM, said:

Thanks! I am totally clear now, and will let Civil Surgeon know that fiancee does not need anything but a couple vaccinations, but no tests.

If you do indeed see the CS then they can finish any missing vaccines (or if you get them down somewhere else make sure to have a receipt that the CS will use in the completion of the I-693) and transpose the information from the I-3025 to complete the I-693 which in turn will be sealed in an envelope by the CS and you will include it with the filing of the I-485.

Good luck.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

We had to argue with our CS, who was obviously trying to milk us for maximumfees and insisted that we will be denied iwthout a full medical. When I asked his assistant where she got her information from, she said "immigration" but had no specifics. Obvously she was trying to cover her story when I called her on it. She even insisted we were wrong when I showed her the regulation. Finally I said "Just do it my way and let me worry about being denied".

Thanks for that great advice!

What i did is i explain to the health worker that i need to complete my vaccination as per US law upon entering United States,so i showed them my ds-3025..then they gave me the vaccine i need and gave me the paper stating i've got my another shot of vaccine i need from their Clinic..and i follow hanks guide,ds-3025 along with the paper from health clinic and highlighted page 4 section 7c from I-485 instruction in my AOS application.? BTW you dont need the I-693..the highlighted page that i mentioned will explain to them how and why..goodluck Edited by hardrockangel

hardrockangel, on 30 Jan 2015 - 09:02 AM, said:

What i did is i explain to the health worker that i need to complete my vaccination as per US law upon entering United States,so i showed them my ds-3025..then they gave me the vaccine i need and gave me the paper stating I've got my another shot of vaccine i need from their Clinic, and i follow hanks guide,ds-3025 along with the paper from health clinic and highlighted page 4 section 7c from I-485 instruction in my AOS application.? BTW you don't need the I-693..the highlighted page that i mentioned will explain to them how and why..good luck

If your I-3025 shows that it is incomplete then you need to have the items that are showing incomplete i.e. vaccines and they will need to be completed and transposed to an I-693. It is only if one arrives in the States and everything is completed then they will follow what you have stated (see below)

You can use the I-693 instructions, Page 5 #3 > http://www.uscis.gov...QA-11-13-12.pdf

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Of course the lady who gave me the shot put on my ds-3025 the date of my 2nd shot of my mmr and TD plus a paper from them stating of shot was given as well..let me see if USCIS will not accept what i did..as of now i didnt receive any RFE regarding my Vaccination record..BTW i follow the date of my 2nd shot of mmr and TD..a month after my first shot given in Dubai,my ds-3025 shows that the vaccine i need was given..all i need to do is to continue the 2nd shot..But for the OP what i can suggest is to have the vaccine from their county health clinic because its cheaper than the CS..

Edited by hardrockangel

hardrockangel, on 30 Jan 2015 - 3:05 PM, said:hardrockangel, on 30 Jan 2015 - 3:05 PM, said:hardrockangel, on 30 Jan 2015 - 3:05 PM, said:

Of course the lady who gave me the shot put on my ds-3025 the date of my 2nd shot of my mmr and TD plus a paper from them stating of shot was given as well..let me see if USCIS will not accept what i did..as of now i didnt receive any RFE regarding my Vaccination record..BTW i follow the date of my 2nd shot of mmr and TD..a month after my first shot given in Dubai,my ds-3025 shows that the vaccine i need was given..all i need to do is to continue the 2nd shot..But for the OP what i can suggest is to have the vaccine from their county health clinic because its cheaper than the CS..

Well, like I've been saying if your DS-3025 shows that it is complete then what you did will work for you. But if it is incomplete you will get an RFE.

Yes, going to your county health clinic or a "Doc in the Box" (CVS, Walgreens, Target, Walmart etc.) can be cheaper too. Also if the OP can get his wife on his health insurance then let the health insurance pay for the vaccines as most do.

The OP has an incomplete DS-3025 (needs additional vaccines) and will require that they finish the shots and will need to have a I-693. Now if they return to SLEC before leaving the Phil for USA and they get the required vaccines (they have already paid for them in their SLEC fee) then they should do what you have talked about and what I have outlined. They should shop around as different CS will charge different prices.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well, like I been saying if your DS-3025 shows that it is complete then what you did will work for you. But if it is incomplete you will get an RFE.

Yes, going to your county health clinic or a "Doc in the Box" (CVS, Walgreens, Target, Walmart etc.) can be cheaper too. Also if the OP can get his wife on his health insurance then let the health insurance pay for the vaccines as most do.

The OP has an incomplete I-3025 (needs additional vaccines) and will require that they finish the shots and will need to have a I-693. Now if they return to SLEC before leaving the Phil for USA and they get the required vaccines (they have already paid for them in their SLEC fee) then they should do what you have talked about and what I have outlined.

FIXXOR'D :)

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Hank_, on 30 Jan 2015 - 3:59 PM, said:

FIXXOR'D :)

:oops:

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.