ilovethebeach310

California are now giving driving licenses to Illegal Immigrants? What does this mean for my fiance?!

3 posts in this topic

HI guys

Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill adding California to the growing list of states allowing immigrants living in the country illegally to obtain driver's licenses!

What does this mean for my fiance? My fiance entered the USA on 2nd January 2015 on a K-1 Visa and has read that he will not be able to get a DL till he has his green card. He got his SCN today and obviously has his I-94. Now that this has bill has been signed can he get one before we have got married? He has booked an appointment with the DMV on March 2nd. We are due to get married in February.

If Illegal immigrants are allowed to get a DL, then surely someone who is here legally can?

Any thoughts?

February 14th 2015 - Wedding Day 

AOS Timeline

Apr 13th 2015 - Sent AOS package (Day 1)

Apr 17th 2015 - AOS email confirmation (Day 5)
Apr 17th 2015 - AOS email confirmation (Day 5)

May 2nd 2015 - Biometrics letter received (Day 20)

May 14th 2015 - Biometrics appointment (Day 32)
Jul 11th 2015 -
EAD/AP was in production (Day 90)

Jul 29th 2015 - EAD/AP was being mailed (Day 108)
Jul 31st 2015 - EAD/AP was received (Day 110)

Sep 25th 2015 - Green Card APPROVED!!! (Day 166)

Sep 28th 2015 - Green Card welcome letter received (Day 169)
Oct 1st 2015 - Green Card Received (Day 172)

*No RFE's*

I-751 Timeline

Aug 12th 2017 - Sent I-751 package (Day 1)

Aug 14th 2017 - I-751 Package delivered to USCIS (Day 3)

Aug 17th 2017 - USCIS cashed check (Day 5)

Aug 19th 2017 - NOA letter received (Day 7) 

Sep 11th 2017 - Biometrics letter received (Day 30)

Sep 22nd 2017 - Biometrics Appointment (Day 42)

Mar 5th 2018 - Case was received at my local office (Day 206)

Nov 28th 2018 - Request for initial evidence was mailed to me (Day 473)

Dec 17th 2018 - Evidence was received by USCIS (Day 492)

Naturalization Timeline

Dec 17th 2018 - Sent N-400 package online (Day 1)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Took one year and $ 3000.00 to bring my stepson here legal. I wounder Y I was not smart enough to just have him come to the mexican border and have him welcomed with open arms by the border patrol.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They have to be resident, but I see no reason why not. Utility bill whatever will show residency.

Same in Colorado btw.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.