SWright

Abrdiged Marriage Certificate for I-130

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi All-

Does any one know if I can submit an abridged marriage certificate from South Africa with form I-130?

The instructions on the form just say 'marriage certificate', but I have read that you should send an unabridged. We have applied for the unabridged, but they say 3+ months, and some personal accounts of up to 10 months. I have got an original printed certificate from Home Affairs, will this be enough to get started?

Thank you!

Shelton

Hi All-

Does any one know if I can submit an abridged marriage certificate from South Africa with form I-130?

The instructions on the form just say 'marriage certificate', but I have read that you should send an unabridged. We have applied for the unabridged, but they say 3+ months, and some personal accounts of up to 10 months. I have got an original printed certificate from Home Affairs, will this be enough to get started?

Thank you!

Shelton

You need the unabridged marriage certificate dude.. By the way, is either of you a South African? or both of you foreigners but got married in South Africa?

Which ever one it is, you need an unabridged marriage certificate..If either of you is a South African citizen, you will need a computer generated unabridged marriage certificate but if both of you guys are foreigners, you will get a handwritten unabridged marriage certificate from home affairs.

Our own was handwritten unabridged marriage certificate from home affairs because we both are foreigners in South Africa and it was accepted by the NVC as we applied the I-130 with it and got it approved almost 2 months and have also done our interview last week but the only thing holding our visa now is that i am waiting for my SA police certificate that i have applied for which the NVC needs.

And we applied for the unabridged the next day after getting married and we got it the other next day..Very quick cos our marriage officer was very nice and he help us to get it the next day.

Maybe this could help...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.