adam2015

Please Help me in deciding filling date

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
I am permanent residence through marriage since 05/28/2012 onwards. I was outside the US during the following periods:

8/18/12-12/27/2012

1/9/2013-6/6/2013

8/28/2013-12/25/2013

1/7/2014-6/27/2014

what is the earliest date I can apply for naturalization.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I am permanent residence through marriage since 05/28/2012 onwards. I was outside the US during the following periods:
8/18/12-12/27/2012
1/9/2013-6/6/2013
8/28/2013-12/25/2013
1/7/2014-6/27/2014
what is the earliest date I can apply for naturalization.

you can't apply for the 3-yr mark if you are out of the country for a total of 18months within that 3yrs.

here's the eligibility worksheet, this will help you decide if you are eligible to apply..

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/Citizenship%20&%20Naturalization%20Based%20Resources/A%20Guide%20to%20Naturalization/PDFs/M-480.pdf

AOS Journey

1/31/16 - Got married

2/24/16 - AOS, EAD, AP packet sent

2/29/16 - Received Date

3/03/16 - Received text and email notification

3/04/16 - Check cashed

3/07/16 - I-797 hardcopy received

3/19/16 - Biometric scheduled received by mail

4/06/16 - I-485 online status changed to Ready to be Scheduled for Interview

4/15/16 - I-485 online status changed to INTERVIEW SCHEDULED

4/17/16 - Interview Notice hardcopy received

4/28/16 - AP & EAD approval date

5/02/16 - AP approval letter received

5/05/16 - EAD card received

5/17/16 - AOS interview

5/23/16 - Online status changed to CASE APPROVE dated 5/18/16

5/23/16 - Received AOS approval letter in the mail

5/23/16 - Online status changed to CARD WAS MAILED TO ME

5/24/16 - Card was picked-up by USPS (online status)

5/26/16 - Green Card on Hand!!! :goofy:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

you are spending more time out of the country than in, you must reside in the US and you're clearly not. You are going to have trouble removing conditions and getting your 10 year green card let alone getting citizenship, I'd be more worried about that. Seems you are using your visa to visit instead of using it for what it is intended, LIVING here. You got your green card 24 months ago, of those 24 months you have spent 18 months living elsewhere. You don;t qualify for anything at this point.

you are spending more time out of the country than in, you must reside in the US and you're clearly not. You are going to have trouble removing conditions and getting your 10 year green card let alone getting citizenship, I'd be more worried about that. Seems you are using your visa to visit instead of using it for what it is intended, LIVING here. You got your green card 24 months ago, of those 24 months you have spent 18 months living elsewhere. You don;t qualify for anything at this point.

Agree with this, but I think he/she gets his 10years card already with an IR1 visa.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Hi All,

I already have the 10 years GC and I am certain that I qualify to apply for naturalization sometime next year. I only have trouble determining the earliest day possible for that. So if you can help me in that, it will be very much appreciated. Other comments are not relevent for my case.

thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi All,

I already have the 10 years GC and I am certain that I qualify to apply for naturalization sometime next year. I only have trouble determining the earliest day possible for that. So if you can help me in that, it will be very much appreciated. Other comments are not relevent for my case.

thanks

Search for USCIS early filing calculator. That'll tell you when you can apply assuming you meet all other requirements.

The earliest possible date is 2 years and 9 months after you got your green card IF you have 18 months of physical presence inside the U.S. If you don't have 18 months inside the U.S. you must wait until you do.

You can add up all the days you were inside the U.S. to figure out when you are eligible to apply. Based on the dates you posted you have been abroad for around 18 months, so you need to make sure that you stay in the US long enough to have 18 months in the US out of the 3 years immediately before you apply.

You have the information you need now, so you can do the math yourself rather than rely on me, since I might make a mistake. Now here's the part you probably don't want to hear, so ignore it if you want:

If you meet the physical presence requirement, you can apply, but that doesn't mean you'll be approved. Actually, you're going to have a hard time being approved. The other poster's comments are accurate and important, but they are related to whether or not you are likely to be approved after you apply.

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

Unfortunately it can't be 2/28/2015 because of the physical pressence requirement. For simplicity 12/27/2015 satisfies all the requirements without much thinking about it. I am lookin for the earliest date possible after 2/28/2015 and before 12/27/2015.

Thanks

Timeline

Unfortunately it can't be 2/28/2015 because of the physical pressence requirement. For simplicity 12/27/2015 satisfies all the requirements without much thinking about it. I am lookin for the earliest date possible after 2/28/2015 and before 12/27/2015.

Thanks

One more thing... be careful that the physical presence requirement isn't really 18 months... it's actually a number of days... so if you're cutting it close down to the day, you have to be extra careful.

The USCIS policy manual specifically says that you have to be in the country for 913 days (not 900) if you're applying under the 5 year rule, but unfortunately, I haven't found he number of days under the 3 year rule. So when you do find he earliest date, give yourself a two week safety buffer.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

Jimmy why do you think that I will have a hard time being approved when I satisfy all the requiremnets. I do not get it. Could you please explain.

thanks

Everything quoted below is from here:

http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartD-Chapter3.html#S-A

Sure... it's because of the continuous residence requirement that requires you to reside permanently in the US for the three years before you are naturalized. Even if you meet the physical presence requirement, you have to convince USCIS that you actually living in the US. That isn't easy when you've been out of the country for 18 out of the last 36 months. This is just my interpretation, so don't assume I'm an expert or anything!

Here's what USCIS says about trips shorter than 6 months:

"absences of less than 6 months may also break the continuity of residence depending on the facts surrounding the absence.​"

Here's what they say about continuous residence (the last sentence is he most important):

"The concept of continuous residence involves the applicant maintaining a permanent dwelling place in the United States over the period of time required by the statute. The residence in question is the same as that aliens domicile, or principal actual dwelling place, without regard to the aliens intent, and the duration of an aliens residence in a particular location measured from the moment the alien first establishes residence in that location.​ Accordingly, the applicants residence is generally the applicants actual physical location regardless of his or her intentions to claims it as his or her residence."

Finally, you have to meet both requirements:

"The requirements of continuous residence and physical presence are interrelated but are different requirements. Each requirement must be satisfied (unless otherwise specified) in order for the applicant to be eligible for naturalization.​"

So the issue is, can you convince them that you've been living in the US and that all those trips were only temporary vacations, business trips, etc.?

That's why I said it would be hard. I didn't mean to imply that your application will be denied, but that it will likely not be a smooth process and that you'll be asked about these trips in detail and possible be required to present evidence that you weren't living abroad.

If you own a house here, pay taxes, pay bills, etc, then that will help. If you don't, then it's going to be a bumpy process. I've read about people in similar situations who were approved.

Google us-citizenship-eligibility-calculator to see if you are qualified

Edited by NancyNguyen

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

To be safe , apply sometime after July 15, 2015, by that time you will have more than 18 months of physical presence, but don't take any more trips outside the states

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Timeline

Thanks for the eligibility calculator link. I hope it is accurate with regards to the laws. It shows that I will be eligible on 06/20/2015 and I can apply on 03/22/2015. Probably I should apply a around 06/01/2015 or as suggested 07/15/2015 to be safe.

Timeline

Thanks for the eligibility calculator link. I hope it is accurate with regards to the laws. It shows that I will be eligible on 06/20/2015 and I can apply on 03/22/2015. Probably I should apply a around 06/01/2015 or as suggested 07/15/2015 to be safe.

That sounds like a good idea. Also, collect anything you can think of that shows that your long trips abroad were only meant to he temporary. For example, if you didn't sell your car, or if you kept paying rent, if you continued to make credit card payments. You may not need this to demonstrate continuous residence, but it sounds like you want to be prepared just in case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.