mebinkle

Does my Fiance need a SSN before we get married?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I was under the impression that my fiance needed his SSN in order to obtain a marriage license, but after reading many posts on here it sounds like a lot of people get married before getting a SSN. I called our register of deeds and they said that yes he would need one, but I didn't really push them on the question of what if he doesn't have one. I'm not sure if it varies state to state but I live in North Carolina and this is what I found on the web pertaining to the issue.

"Each applicant for a marriage license shall provide on the application the applicant's social security number. If an applicant does not have a social security number and is ineligible to obtain one, the applicant shall present a statement to that effect, sworn to or affirmed before an officer authorized to administer oaths. Upon presentation of a sworn or affirmed statement, the register of deeds shall issue the license, provided all other requirements are met, and retain the statement with the register's copy of the license. G.S. 51-8. (Affidavit forms are available from the Register of Deeds office)."

So do we need the social security card and number before we get married? Thanks for the help :)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 process to Moving to the US and Your New Life in America Forum~

~Inquiry about post K1 process and is often discussed at this forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

No. None of the states require it. They state they require an SSN, but that is really for those that already have one. Let them know he is a non-resident and does not have an SSN. They will use something else in that case, most likely his passport #.

He can file for an SSN right after entry with the K-1 though. No need to wait to apply for one. Just print out his I-94 and take that, the SS form and his passport to your local SSA.

~ Moved from K-1 Process to Social Security Numbers - topic about SSN~

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Yap you need SSN. Got Married in Currituck County NC its easy to obtain marriage license less than 20min.But you need to present 1 valid id and ssn if you dont have ssn present a proof why you cannot obtain it.

Yap you need SSN. Got Married in Currituck County NC its easy to obtain marriage license less than 20min.But you need to present 1 valid id and ssn if you dont have ssn present a proof why you cannot obtain it.

No, you do not need a Ssn to get married.

Showing valid ID such as your passport is fine.

OP- you do however need one in general and its advised to get one before you get married because most offices are not aware of the rules behind k1 visa.

They assume our visa turns into a k3(cr1) when we get married and therefore have to wait until you get your EAD to get one because they are unable to change the maiden name to married until we have offical residency proof.

But as your fiancé immagrating is the male this is no problem. You can get one after marriage or before.

My Name is Daisy, I am British, I say things bluntly and to the point.
London K1, A complete guide -- >http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide/
I am Daisy the Beneficiary, These are my views!
U.K. k1 visa, approved 2014.

NOA1: 20/03/2014

NOA2: 11/04/2014 (22 days)

Interview: 09/07/2014 (111 days)

D.O.E 29/07/2014

Married 29/08/2014

AOS from K1/K3 Guide -->http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

AOS/EAD/AP Sent: 12/11/2014

Delivered at Chicago LB:15/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3): 17/11/2014

NOA1 (all 3) hardcopy: 24/11/2014(Notice date 20th)

Bio-metrics App letter: 28/11/2014(Notice date 21st)

Bio-metrics App Cleveland Ohio: 10/12/2014

EAD/AP:Approved/production 31/01/2015(update 2/2/1015) (80 days)

Combo Card: Mailed 5/2/2015

Combo Card: Delivered 6/2/2015AP

NOA: Approval Notice received 7/2/2015

Interview waiver letter: received 23/2/15 dated: 18/2/2015

Green Card: APPROVED 31/07/2015

(Remember, all my dates are British layout.. the proper layout!)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You may have to sign the affidavit form that your state provides, but you will not be required to have the SSN.

This is a good read if anyone is interested in the law that has made this so confusing > https://www.archchicago.org/Immigration/pdf/Immigration/UndocumentedMarriage.pdf

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You dont need a SSN before marriage however, it's much better to have one before you do for several reasons:

1. It's a form of US identification.

2. If you get a SSN before marriage, you can simply change your name on the card (to married name) with your marriage certificate instead of having to wait for the EAD card. (At least in NJ)

3. You can open a joint account and apply for joint credit cards early. (Joint accounts are important in the ROC process).

4. You can get a State ID (Non-Drivers License)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.