Kroni473

Job offers

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Grenada
Timeline

I have been applying for jobs just to get my resume out. I have my SSC but not my EAD. I have only been here for just over a month and my fiancé keeps pressuring me to apply for jobs. No matter how much I tell her it does't make sense, she keeps doing it. Now I have two interviews that I know would not make sense attending since I have no authorization to work. What should I do at the interview? I know tell the truth but we are getting married next month and the process for approval of the EAD is approximately 90 days. I need help, seriously. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

AOS

14-03-2015 AOS Package sent

17-03-2015 AOS Package received by Lockbox

19-03-2015 NOA 1 received via email

26-03-2015 NOA 1 Hard Copy Received

27-03-2015 Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

08-04-2015 Biometrics Appointment (DONE)

29-05-2015 Status change (AP Approved/EAD ordered to be produced)

04-06-2015 Card mailed

05-06-2015 NOA 2 Hard copy received

06-06-2015 EAD/AP In Hand

26-06-2015 Interview waiver hard copy received

05-10-2015 AOS Welcome Notice Mailed

08-10-2015 Card mailed

09-10-2015 Welcome Notice hard copy received

13-10-2015 CARD IN HAND!!!! WOOHOO!!!

I-751 (Removing Conditions)

06-10-2017 Package sent

Island Boy 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I have been applying for jobs just to get my resume out. I have my SSC but not my EAD. I have only been here for just over a month and my fiancé keeps pressuring me to apply for jobs. No matter how much I tell her it does't make sense, she keeps doing it. Now I have two interviews that I know would not make sense attending since I have no authorization to work. What should I do at the interview? I know tell the truth but we are getting married next month and the process for approval of the EAD is approximately 90 days. I need help, seriously. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

why is your fiance pressuring you to work? You need to tell him/her to relax. Once you get authorization you will apply.

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Sent 9/5/2014

I-129F: Arrived at Lewisville 9/8/2014

I-129F: NOA1 Text message/mail 9/11/2014

I-129F: Alien Registration Number Changed 9/16/2014

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

I-129F: Name Change request made 10/31/2014

I-129F: Crickets as of today

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

A practice interview is a good thing but it is a waste of time for the employer and might close a door to a job that would be available when you obtain work authorization. Why go to an interview when you won't be able to start for at least several months.

Filed: Timeline

You will be asked to provide work authorization documentation - attending an interview and getting an offer makes no sense.

This isn't directed at you but people who pursue the K-1 track forget to factor the extended wait time for EAD into the costs. The benefit of having a loved-one in the US faster (vs. CR-1) has a cost: people give up careers in their country of origin. Delayed gratification has a cost, but it also has a benefit. I waited almost 18 months from NOA-1 but my wife continued to work until after approval for the visa. She had her SS card three weeks after arrival.

Best of luck.

Timeline

I keep telling her that it doesn't make sense but she thinks I am putting up road blocks.

AOS

04-06-2015 Card mailed

08-10-2015 Card mailed

06-10-2017 Package sent

Island Boy 

Timeline

I keep telling her that it doesn't make sense but she thinks I am putting up road blocks.

Direct her to this forum.

K1 Visa Event Date Service Center : Texas Service Center Transferred? No Consulate : Juarez, Mexico

I-129F: Request to correct on document or notice assigned to an officer for response 10/25/2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Stand firm. Your accepting any offer without authorization would waste the employer's time (at minimum) and is contrary to the laws that apply to your immigration process.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Depends on how long they are looking out. Not very logical if it is for Christmas.

Most of my life I have had to give 3 months notice so for my industry nobody is usually looking for someone who can start tomorrow.

If she is so keen why are you waiting so long to get married?

What does she expect you to say?

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

We chose that date cause its when we met. Since we had a long distance relationship and only spent vacation time with each other, we decided to allow some time before we had the ceremony. So I could decide if I like it or not. But she expects me to explain the situation to them. There is a 4 weeks training and its a Direct Sales Rep job. Going door to door and sell the company's product. I feel lost. Really lost.

AOS

04-06-2015 Card mailed

08-10-2015 Card mailed

06-10-2017 Package sent

Island Boy 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Do they ask what your start date would be?

Sounds like a job with high churn. So may not matter.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Go to the interviews, ask when they want someone in place and then negotiate from there. Get as far as you can in the interview process.

Get your AOS package ready so that all you are waiting for is your marriage certificate. Check with the place where you are getting married and see if you can get a same-day or next day certified marriage certificate. Once you receive your marriage certificate, send your AOS package and request an expedite on the EAD. Include written confirmation of any job offers you have to support the expedite.

Technically, there is nothing to stop you from going to interviews and getting job offers. You just can't start working until you have your EAD.

After you've confirmed that it's not an issue regarding money, I would tell your fiancee that you love her, but you need her to back off: you want to do this the legal way and you don't want to jeopardise your immigration process.

Edited by landr

Timeline

Go to the interviews, ask when they want someone in place and then negotiate from there. Get as far as you can in the interview process.

Get your AOS package ready so that all you are waiting for is your marriage certificate. Check with the place where you are getting married and see if you can get a same-day or next day certified marriage certificate. Once you receive your marriage certificate, send your AOS package and request an expedite on the EAD. Include written confirmation of any job offers you have to support the expedite.

Technically, there is nothing to stop you from going to interviews and getting job offers. You just can't start working until you have your EAD.

After you've confirmed that it's not an issue regarding money, I would tell your fiancee that you love her, but you need her to back off: you want to do this the legal way and you don't want to jeopardise your immigration process.

It depends on what type of job she is applying to and where. In a small town, the options are limited and it is not a good idea to exhaust your list by causing a few headaches in the HR department. Many jobs specfically state you must have work authorization. If she applies and does not have it there is no chance she will get hired. She would be wasting her and the HR person's time. They would take notice and not bother looking at her application again if she were to get authorization a few months later. It is best to R-E-L-A-X. Relax, and apply in a few month's time. Positions are always opening and closing.

It depends on what type of job she is applying to and where. In a small town, the options are limited and it is not a good idea to exhaust your list by causing a few headaches in the HR department. Many jobs specfically state you must have work authorization. If she applies and does not have it there is no chance she will get hired. She would be wasting her and the HR person's time. They would take notice and not bother looking at her application again if she were to get authorization a few months later. It is best to R-E-L-A-X. Relax, and apply in a few month's time. Positions are always opening and closing.

I have been in this position before, on the employer's side. If the OP is the right fit, the employer will wait.

By the way, judging by the OP's avatar and posts, the OP is male, not female.

Timeline

I have been in this position before, on the employer's side. If the OP is the right fit, the employer will wait.

By the way, judging by the OP's avatar and posts, the OP is male, not female.

Like I said, it depends on the job offer. If it is a highly skilled position, it is possible that the employer will wait. If, for example, the position is for hotel receptionist, my best bet is that the employer would move on. The majority would in any case. Regardless, if the job application says it will hire only those with work authorization it is an automatic no, generally speaking.

Edited by msbau764

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.